Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Mosbaugh
United States
san leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So this arrived today, as a late birthday/early Xmas present for my wife, who is what Dickens described as 'a Christmas lunatic'. This is her time of year. Her yard display can be seen from space, I'm certain. So when this game crossed my path a couple days ago (not sure where I first saw about it, actually!) I immediately pre-ordered it for her. Arrived and played this afternoon. Let me set the stage:

Player 1: My wife. 90% non-gamer, although has been known to kick my butt at Carcassonne. Her lack of gaming interest is a dislike for the 'kill the monsters' Ameritrash the kids and I love.

Player 2: Yours truly. 911 dispatcher for a large city, gaming is one of my escapes from the job and a fairly important part of my mental health regimen. Mostly ameritrash gamer, love my miniatures (they fill the void after kicking the Warhammer habit a few years ago!). Collection is more than I will likely every have time to play.

Player 3: Oldest child. Gets very focused on his own strategy, misses opportunities to foil other players. Frequently an easier PVP target. Loves co-op games.

Player 4: Middle child. The calculating one. Plays the percentages. First to backstab for benefit. Would make a great player of Diplomacy. Dangerous opponent.

Player 5: Youngest child. Avatar of Chaos. Plays to amuse herself with the unfolding story in her mind. Plays to make other people lose, rather than trying to win. Once kept a game of Talisman going 2 hours past a guaranteed next turn win.

So, I got the game based on finding a game my wife would enjoy. The theme was entertaining to her, and she caught onto the rules quickly.

We only played the 'basic' version, without the 'daily event' cards, just to learn the rules. Play seemed very balanced. I focused on making toys as quickly and cheaply as possible. Wife focused first couple rounds on training all her elves, then focused on high-value toys, as did oldest child. Middle child was a balance between high and low value toys, minimal training. Youngest chose toys based on what made her smile and laugh. No elf training. With the variety of strategies, we finished with less than 20 points between first and last. Hope to have time for another round tomorrow with the event cards. At that point I'm hoping to find time to write up a full review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan McCoy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
and His Amazing Zoo Crew!
badge
I'm Spader-Man.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice write-up...but who won?!? You had me invested in the "characters".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mosbaugh
United States
san leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hoojeebo wrote:
Nice write-up...but who won?!? You had me invested in the "characters".

I won with the 'quick toys go for the inspection bonus points' approach. But not by much. My wife came in less than 10 points behind with the 'train and huge toy' strategy, with the kids coming in a few points behind her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.