MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot apply a condition twice to the same target. So for instance, you cannot "double stun". The R2 rulebook on page 22 says
Quote:
Only one of each condition type may be applied to any single figure at a time
which is at odds with the FAQ on stacking effects
Quote:
Do negative conditions from monster ability cards stack with traits of the same negative condition (ex: monster has Curse trait for every attack and draws an ability with a Curse as well)?
Yes.
So my question is: "are Bless/Curse exceptions to the rule that only one condition of each condition type may be applied to a single figure at a time?"

Logically, I'd say "yes" because applying the Bless/Curse condition puts a card in an attack modifier deck, which is inherently stackable, whereas applying two Stun tokens to a monster at the same time is meaningless. And multi- wound/poison just gets out of hand reeeaaaaly quick!

Methinks a little FAQ clarification might not go amiss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justinas K.
Lithuania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
from other discussions and threads - yes, curses and bless can be applied multiple times, unless you kill your target, since then there is no target to apply it to.

we had that question when a ability card had curse on it and had an enchant slot available for (possibly) another curse, and yes, that can be done too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
walktime wrote:
from other discussions and threads - yes, curses and bless can be applied multiple times, unless you kill your target, since then there is no target to apply it to.

we had that question when a ability card had curse on it and had an enchant slot available for (possibly) another curse, and yes, that can be done too
It was that discussion about card enhancement that prompted this post. The aim of this post is primarily to get an entry posted in the FAQ - given that the rules and FAQ appear to be at odds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wonham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't argue that it should go in the FAQ as more clarity is always better.

What I'm interested in is the history of curse/bless. We know that the original printing had curse/bless tokens, and yet they're redundant in the rules. Does that mean that originally, Isaac had a different idea for what these meant? A per monster approach using the token would x2 the specific monster's all attacks in the next turn, or negate in the same way. That's very different to what we have, which is ALL monsters are subject to the curse (single attack deck) AND it only applies to ONE attack. This weights the cursing to the benefit of the monster as a) it's semi-random whether your curse affects a boss or a lowly bandit guard, and b) once the guard has pulled the curse the boss can't.

(Not complaining....)

I'd love to know the history (Isaac?) here. What was the design choice and why the shift in direction?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al Cann
United States
Warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/26049235#26049235

I asked the same question a while back and here is a link to that thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree it should be clarified in the FAQ. New entry coming up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aflorin wrote:
I agree it should be clarified in the FAQ. New entry coming up.
Awesome! Thanks Alex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.