Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can one use this rule set to play with hex and counters on maps instead of miniatures? It's been a question long haunting me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Thomas
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
Can one use this rule set to play with hex and counters on maps instead of miniatures? It's been a question long haunting me.

You could, but it would take a lot of work... a lot of unnecessary work.

The ACTSF game is based on Federation Commander, which is a hex and counter based game.
Federation Commander ships have 60 degree firing arcs and are optimized for use in a hex based environment. Much effort was made to convert / port / modify the designs from 60-degree, hex-based designs into 90-degree, miniatures-based designs.

Instead of converting the designs, why not just play Federation Commander?

Now, if you just want to use counters rather than miniatures... you can still do that using the rules as is and sticking with the 90 degree arcs and no hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Now, if you just want to use counters rather than miniatures... you can still do that using the rules as is and sticking with the 90 degree arcs and no hexes.

This sounds nice. I don't have the space to keep all the miniatures but I have the counters and wonder if I can use them to extract all the juices of a miniature system and enjoy still the same.

Federation Commander is still a game complex enough for a quick fix. I wonder if ACTSF can strip down the scale and retain the essence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used FASA Star Trek counters, SFB counters (which don't look as nice) and Star Trek micro machines a lot over the years. I'm fine with substituting in FASA and actual Trek designs for the SFU designs with SFU stats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.