Subject: Do Predators consume other players' animals? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Manda
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always played predators as only eating my own animals - so it's purpose is to turn the 1/2 point creatures into 1 point creatures. Some threads here suggest it should actually be used to consume the animals of other players. Have I misunderstood this card?

Regardless of whether I am incorrect, I may continue as I am, as I tend not to play games with much in the way of direct conflict - for example the "remove N plants" cards tend to be played without actually removing the plants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The little green square paw print icon has a red border. That means that you can take the animal from the card of any player(including yourself if you are playing nice). But the card has greater value if you take the animal from another player.

You may of course choose to avoid conflict BUT this unbalances the game. For example many cards reduce other player's plants. The game has been adjusted such that plant production is a stronger than normal strategy. This is normally balanced by the fact that plant production is vulnerable to being hurt by other players. If you are in a group that avoids conflict then plant production becomes a favoured strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And also the card is clear with the wording "remove animal from ANY player"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
MattNManda wrote:
Have I misunderstood this card?

Yes, you have misunderstood this card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odyzeus Longbow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't eat Pets though, as people keep them at their homes, and not where bears and other predators can get at them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
newsaidin wrote:
You can't eat Pets though, as people keep them at their homes, and not where bears and other predators can get at them.

That is so not true in rural Canada...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burns
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Relax wrote:
newsaidin wrote:

So... you can eat pets in rural Canada? (Makes a note) whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
AndyWBurns wrote:
Relax wrote:
newsaidin wrote:

No... But coyotes and wolves and cougars and eagles sometimes do, especially cats and small dogs.

Actually, now that I think of it, when I was young 40+ years ago we had a pet cow called Daisy, then came the day Daisy became dinner...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Heath
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MattNManda wrote:
I have always played predators as only eating my own animals - so it's purpose is to turn the 1/2 point creatures into 1 point creatures. Some threads here suggest it should actually be used to consume the animals of other players. Have I misunderstood this card?

Regardless of whether I am incorrect, I may continue as I am, as I tend not to play games with much in the way of direct conflict - for example the "remove N plants" cards tend to be played without actually removing the plants.

Not playing Predators such that it can attack other players makes the animal strategy stronger.

Not blowing up Ecoline's plants with asteroids is a sure fire way to lose.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Grabowski
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Relax wrote:
newsaidin wrote:

Pretty sure rural Canada is as inhospitable a place as Mars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
SeanLG wrote:
Relax wrote:
newsaidin wrote:

Depends on the time of year ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odyzeus Longbow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:
SeanLG wrote:
Relax wrote:
newsaidin wrote:

Are you saying it is sometimes worse?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan The Man
United States
Unspecified
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Relax wrote:
AndyWBurns wrote:
Relax wrote:
newsaidin wrote:

No... But coyotes and wolves and cougars and eagles sometimes do, especially cats and small dogs.

Actually, now that I think of it, when I was young 40+ years ago we had a pet cow called Daisy, then came the day Daisy became dinner...

Same predator problem here in rural Nevada, not to mention the former pets who get together into packs of feral dogs...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
newsaidin wrote:
WBuchanan wrote:
SeanLG wrote:
Relax wrote:
newsaidin wrote:

Are you saying it is sometimes worse?!

In January, pretty close. In July, nah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.