Subject: Prepare for first game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We will have friends over at New Year’s Eve and want to play this beauty.
I just bought this and the expansion. After reading through the rules there seems to be a lot to miss while playing but nothing too difficult.
I want to play a two player game to learn it in advance.
We are experienced gamers and I would like to use most of the expansion rules right from the start.
I would like to include all the modules but I am not so sure about the location markers, favors and loyalty.
I would like to her your thoughts about those.

I also thought about the variant rules and I like the flexible rounds V1, captains, captains V2 and for honor or dead V3.

Please let me know your thoughts on that.

I translated those names from the German rulebook so I hope you understand what I am talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with the expansion a couple of times and still don't use favors, loyalty, or NPC upgrades.

The Universal Head game aid is vital to help with gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Scribner
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally my friends and I have gotten by just fine with the excellent player aid sheets that already come with the game. I use both sets; the one from the expansion to have all the token and sea-zone location info close to hand, with the old set placed underneath with only the Port information peeking out to the right side of the new sheet (sadly, they had to remove this excellent info section from the revised sheet; unless you have eyes like a hawk, having that Port summary in front of you is very useful for remembering what all the location specific Port abilities are).

We've played the game probably a dozen times and found the expansion material really doesn't slow things down much, just adds more options that you can take advantage of if you recall they're there to be exploited. With that said, we don't use the Favor board, and only use the Loyalty board about half the time. If I were going to suggest leaving anything off for the first playthrough, I'd advocate for getting rid of those. The loyalty board in particular DOES add some additional complexity, time and difficulty for what amounts to very little extra fun (at least in my opinion).

DEFINITELY play with the variant rule in the back of the expansion rulebook that makes each point of glory purchased past the first cost 5 extra gold. It's always been our observation that game is just too easy for merchants if you don't do this, though if your group is very cutthroat your pirate pvp action may alleviate this issue by making things too difficult for merchants without that extra pressure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great thank you both for the very interesting input!
So it seems like it would be good to skip favors and loyality.
Are the location marker worth it or would you skip those too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'd be fine with most of the additional modules.

1) Rumors/Missions/Etc - No brainer, just adds cards.
2/3) Weapons/Mods - Just add more to the already available ones.
4) NPC Upgrades - Easy to do, just draw from bag and add, they work the same as your upgrades.
5) Ships - Work as any other ship.
6) Treasure Galleon - Just remember to add coin and move him when needed. Fought like any other NPC
7) Contraband - A bit more tricky. Easy to gain and sell, but remember the NPC rules regarding people with contraband on board.
8) Wind - Easy, Spin to Wind. And remember your extra/lesser movement, and storm damage.
9) Locations - I thought this would be too complicated, but I tried it, and it's really just 8 different location types that are available if you choose. I never really found myself going for them, but rather used them if they were handy at the time. Just use the reference card and it's pretty simple to implement.
10/11) Favors/Loyalty - I like them, favor negates some bad luck. Loyalty gives some good bonuses...if kept loyal. The rules for both are on the tracker boards so they're easy to implement.

As mentioned above, the included player reference sheets are more than enough to keep you familiar with game rules. The Universal Head summary PDF is 8 pages long! That's another whole rulebook right there. Not a fan of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My spinner is garbage. Picked up a direction die. WAY better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:

I just wanted to ask if there is a trick with this spinner because it in fact is garbage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Indenture Forlife
msg tools
mbmbmb
There is a 'Spinner App' in the Google Play Store.

It is a great game and after a few rounds you will fall into a rythme
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amanwing wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

I just wanted to ask if there is a trick with this spinner because it in fact is garbage.

Any old 8 sided die will work. Or you can buy dice with the compass directions already on them.

Myself, I use the spinner, because maybe I just got really lucky, but mine works flawlessly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Scribner
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The spinner I received is in fact garbage as well. Pity because it's very thematic and looks great, but unless you hit it just right the thing flies out of the base as soon as you touch it. Everything else with the expansion is so nice, this piece was the only disappointment.

My only other complaint regards the sea-zone location tiles. I actually quite like them, functionally, but I hate how they cluge up the beautiful board. There's just no room for them! This game board is one of my favorites among all the games I own, and I love just feasting my eyes on it between turns; admiring the detail and component quality. The sea zone tiles just feel like they're in the way. We still use them though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steelcrystal wrote:
My only other complaint regards the sea-zone location tiles. I actually quite like them, functionally, but I hate how they cluge up the beautiful board. There's just no room for them! This game board is one of my favorites among all the games I own, and I love just feasting my eyes on it between turns; admiring the detail and component quality. The sea zone tiles just feel like they're in the way. We still use them though.
If you have the means to do it, try printing these bad boys:

Made by Frank Strauss (f-p-p-m)

They keep the cool look of the board, and actually make it easier to see which location is which.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/154901/3d-printable-stl-l...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
curtis nelson
United States
san jacinto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
or just use a d10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So many great ideas!
I already ordered a compass die and now I even want to paint the ships but I don't have the correct decals and I am not sure where to get those in time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amanwing wrote:
So many great ideas!
I already ordered a compass die and now I even want to paint the ships but I don't have the correct decals and I am not sure where to get those in time.

And for anyone who might want a direction die, I have one each up in the December and January Games for Geekgold drawings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just had our 6 hours long test game. It was great but there were some questions we couldn't find a quick answer. Maybe someone wants to help with those questions:
1. when there are three same trade goods and you only buy one. You pay 3 or 1 gold?
2. If there is a navy ship on the same space as a merchant with contraband and we draw an event card and it is supposed to move. Does it move or stay?
3. NPC ships never start combat. Is that right? They only try to find you when you start your turn or enter their space?
4. The gold for victory points needs to be in the home city treasure chest? If so do you need to be there to use it to win or can you declare the victory anywhere?
5. Can you store unlimited contraband as long as you keep an eye on your max. storage?

Many thanks for all your help in advance and merry Christmas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
amanwing wrote:

1. when there are three same trade goods and you only buy one. You pay 3 or 1 gold?
The buy cost is based on what's available, not what you actually buy, so the one good you bought would cost you 1 gold.

Quote:
2. If there is a navy ship on the same space as a merchant with contraband and we draw an event card and it is supposed to move. Does it move or stay?
Contraband doesn't affect NPC Hunt priority, so the naval ship can move away.

Quote:
3. NPC ships never start combat. Is that right? They only try to find you when you start your turn or enter their space?
If an NPC scouts for a player and is successful, that counts as starting combat with the player.

If the player does not already have a bounty from that nation, they will not automatically gain one from the fight the NPC started, but they can still gain one if they carry on with the battle and win. The only way to avoid gaining any bounties in that sitation is to flee.

Quote:
4. The gold for victory points needs to be in the home city treasure chest? If so do you need to be there to use it to win or can you declare the victory anywhere?
It has to be in the stash at your home port to count, but your ship does not need to be there with it.

Quote:
5. Can you store unlimited contraband as long as you keep an eye on your max. storage?
Contraband takes up space just like any other standard cargo, so the only limit to how many you can carry is your total capacity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot Kyle!
But there is one question I am still not sure about.
3. For example an NPC move into the space of a hunt priority. Does it scout for the player immediately or only when it is the players turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
amanwing wrote:
Thanks a lot Kyle!
But there is one question I am still not sure about.
3. For example an NPC move into the space of a hunt priority. Does it scout for the player immediately or only when it is the players turn?

The bold is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to read through Rules questions in the BGG forum before playing a game for the first time.

Variants, yes, there are some you can add that will improve the game, and will not introduce much complexity.

Look in rules of the SoG expansion (the PDF available in this BGG site)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.