John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
- a skill test listed with a symbol followed by a number indicates the skill to be used and the number of successes you need to pass...while a symbol followed by a "+/-" number indicates the number of extra die you can use (or not use), correct?

- let's say i have 2 successes in an attack action, and now want to apply the results via the app...do i use the "-" to reduce his live/strength by my 2 hits (hoping to eventually reduce it to "0"...or do i use the "+" to record my 2 hits (hoping to eventually reach a number that will kill it)?

thanks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
- a skill test listed with a symbol followed by a number indicates the skill to be used and the number of successes you need to pass...while a symbol followed by a "+/-" number indicates the number of extra die you can use (or not use), correct?

- let's say i have 2 successes in an attack action, and now want to apply the results via the app...do i use the "-" to reduce his live/strength by my 2 hits (hoping to eventually reduce it to "0"...or do i use the "+" to record my 2 hits (hoping to eventually reach a number that will kill it)?

thanks...

- correct

- 2 successes does not equal 2 damage, the app will tell you the amount of damgage, sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less. You add the damage with the +. If the monster suffered damage at least equal to it's health the app will ask for confirmation to remove the monster from the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- correct

- ... what? There are two "types" of tests: One tells you how many successes you need and also what happens on fail/success, the other just gives you a box where you can enter how many successes you rolled. In either case, the app will tell you how much damage you do. I've never seen an attack that didn't specify number of successes required yet, though.

If you damage the monster (because the app told you to), subtract the value from the monster's health. You'll want to get it down to 0, yes, as that defeats it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:

If you damage the monster (because the app told you to), subtract the value from the monster's health. You'll want to get it down to 0, yes, as that defeats it.

You actually add the damage to the monster, not subtract it.

+ adds damage you did to the monster (when you deal damage) - remove damage if told (if the monster heals damage).

Some actions will tell you to make a test and beat a result. Then deal the weapon damage. Other tests might tell you to make a test and deal the "test result" in damage. Others both.

You do whatever the test tells you, nothing more, nothing less

This for example, you would roll your Agility and requires 2 successes.
If you passed you do your weapons damage (lets say its a 2x4 - so 2 damage) + your test result. That would be 4 damage if you rolled 2 successes (the minimum you need to pass).

If you rolled 1 success, you fail the check and nothing happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks...so successes always translate into "+'s" when applied via the app...

that answers that question...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you fail to meet the minimum successes, then they technically don't count at all.

SO that test above, if you rolled 1 success. You would not deal a damage because your attack missed.

"If you fail, you lose control of your leap and contort in the air as you struggle to land upright."

It doesn't actually tell you to apply any damage.

You do one or the other. Either you Pass - aka "If you pass" and do damage. Or you Fail - aka "If you fail" and do nothing

Hope that explains it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scrubbless wrote:
If you fail to meet the minimum successes, then they technically don't count at all.

SO that test above, if you rolled 1 success. You would not deal a damage because your attack missed.

"If you fail, you lose control of your leap and contort in the air as you struggle to land upright."

You do one or the other. Either you Pass - aka "If you pass" and do damage. Or you Fail - aka "If you fail" and do nothing

Hope that explains it.
oh...we had applied the "hits" anyhow, even if they weren't enough to succeed ("cumulative damage")...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
scrubbless wrote:

Hope that explains it.
oh...we had applied the "hits" anyhow, even if they weren't enough to succeed ("cumulative damage")...

I can see why you thought that, we discussed the same thing in our gaming group early on. The attacks are very "wordy" and its easy to assume that you do at least something if you roll a success.

It's not a bad house rule to use, if you want the game to be easier. But not how the game is intended.

If you make it a house rule, I wouldn't apply any weapon damage for "failed" results though, as that would make combat supremely easy and unsatisfying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking the time, J S! A lot easier to explain with some actual examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just read what the app says, dude.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scrubbless wrote:

Hope that explains it.
but this doesn't seem right all the time...on page 13 of the "learn to play" it says the following:

"Skill Tests in the App:
Some skill test declarations included in app instructions require the investigator to input his test result. In such a case, the investigator uses the “+” and “–” buttons to input his test result.
The number of success results () required to pass is unknown.
However, even if the investigator fails the test, the app remembers how many  were previously rolled. Future attempts to pass the test will require fewer ."

so in this case, you enter your results regardless of whether you've succeeded or not (the app will apply cumulative results and then let you know when that's been enough, either immediately or over time, to succeed)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct, but that particular + and - has no connection to a monster taking damage. Those tests involve you inputting your successes directly in the test itself, then it tells you if you passed or failed without you knowing exactly how many successes you needed to pass in the first place.

Whenever a monster takes damage, the app will explicitly tell you how much damage the monster should take, either a specified number, or "weapon damage", or some combination thereof.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.