Subject: Secret Wars Volume 2 - temptation overload. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R C
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TLDR: Should I get Secret Wars Volume 2 for $34 AUD + other questions

Hey guys, SO i'd promised myself that id only buy legendary expansions if a really good discount was to be had.

In June I nabbed Civil War for about $35 AUD (About 27usd, and found playing it for the first time last week we really enjoyed it. SO now I own the base game, Dark City Deadpool and the aformentioned Civil War.

Becasue I havent had the time to play much this year (House is quite cluttered due to me spending 2 month in hopsital) I had zero intrest in getting more legendary for a good while. It also took me 4 months to get around to playing Civil War, even tho i sleeved it a month ago.

However, a local hobby store of mine is selling Secret Wars Volume 2 for $34.47 AUD ($30usd) which seem too bloody hard to pass up.

I'd always read that the secret wars boxes were quite weak due to the lesser known heroes and villains used, but upon reading reviews, it seems you guys find it pretty damn solid (opposite to what id been lead to believe). I never wanted to try and collect every single box, just for the record.

So my questions are as follows:
1. Is Secret Wars 2 considered a must have?
2. It might be the case I will never get secret Wars VOl 1, would this matter?
3. Does it have content that is fun solo, whcih is my primary mode of play ( I have different days off to my dad, so organising games can get hard, but we do try).
4. Should I save my money (whcih due to my hospitalisation isnt quite much atm), and wait for a different exp to drop in price?

Thanks guys.
I've also got Enchanters ready to be opened this christmas (backed this becasue hand of fayte is delayed and makes a good xmas present for me and dad), and Hand of Fate Ordeals (My dad backed the top tier) due in March or so.

PS: When we played Civil War for the first time, we found that only having 3 east victories or 3 west victories for the scheme (usa divided by civil war) was too low and we lost early, so we bumped it to 5 and found it alot more fun. Im thinking 4 might be a good number tho, as we learnt to clear the city more, it seemed 5 was to many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The content/mechanics found in both Secret Wars boxes is fantastic.

Granted, both boxes contain a bunch of obscure-ish or alt-universe heroes, which is its biggest weakness.

I like the keywords in SWV2 better than the keywords from SWV1. SWV1 gives you the "play as the Mastermind" mode (it turns the game from being coop/semi-coop to more of a "1 vs many" style game that you see in miniatures games). SWV1 also gives you the original Sidekicks, which are more powerful than the Special Sidekicks found in Civil War.

Both boxes give you Ambition cards, which are used for both the "play as the Mastermind" mode as well as a special Scheme.

The Schemes in both sets are both great. If you care less about the name/familiarity of the hero you're playing as, and more about the mechanics and overall fun factor, I would highly recommend both sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SWv2 is one of my favourite sets for game mechanics and I only play solo. It's well worth getting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty awesome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Dufour
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Help me! I'm stuck in this box!
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this expansion. Fateful Resurrection looks like it can totally wreck your party but.. at the same time.. it can create stories you'll remember for a long time. The heroes from this expansion are definitely not my favorites.. but the villains are really interesting! Fighting Jubilee and adding her to your party afterward! You can actually make see the story in your head.

To me, one of the greatest thing about Legendary is being able to see the story unfold in your head as you play the game. If the cards are thematic enough, it just works.

I can't tell you what to do with your money. I have enough problems managing mine.. but it's definitely a good expansion. Just make sure you find the time to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What i don't understand is why changing the Civil War scheme, yes, it can frustrating sometimes, but so can almost all of them (Crime Wave i'm looking at you).
If you go and put 4 vitories you are basically reducing the difficulty of it...

Like if one day you play Kree Skrull War...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By all means purchase it. As others have mentioned, it has some good key words. I also like all of the new characters. Both Secret Wars volume 1 and volume 2 are must-buy. X-Men is even more vital, when it reaches a price point at which you are willing to part with your hard-earned dollars. X-Men seems even more than an expansion to me- it is almost like an entirely new game, because of all of the stuff you get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I prefer Secret Wars Vol. 1 and X-Men to Secret Wars Vol. 2, for the reasons others have given, but none of these expansions are bad.

EDIT: Fantastic Four is a must-buy, far more than the other small-box expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Is Secret Wars 2 considered a must have?

Not as much as Dark City or X-Men but it's well worth getting.

2. It might be the case I will never get secret Wars VOl 1, would this matter?

No

3. Does it have content that is fun solo, whcih is my primary mode of play ( I have different days off to my dad, so organising games can get hard, but we do try).

Yes.

4. Should I save my money (whcih due to my hospitalisation isnt quite much atm), and wait for a different exp to drop in price?

Get what you can now and enjoy it. Let tomorrow come as it comes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Archer
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just reading this thread made me go ahead and get it. Price is right at this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
swirlsaepi wrote:
Granted, both boxes contain a bunch of obscure-ish or alt-universe heroes, which is its biggest weakness.

You say weakness, I say strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R C
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Facsantos wrote:
What i don't understand is why changing the Civil War scheme, yes, it can frustrating sometimes, but so can almost all of them (Crime Wave i'm looking at you).

We only had time for one game and lost in first like 15 minutes, so decided to give us a chance to have sum fun with it because we don't get to play it often.

In no way was I implying I always do this, or had even done it before. I've played dsum schemes 3 times in a row to try and win, just didn't have the time that day was all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colt2911 wrote:
Facsantos wrote:

We only had time for one game and lost in first like 15 minutes, so decided to give us a chance to have sum fun with it because we don't get to play it often.

In no way was I implying I always do this, or had even done it before. I've played dsum schemes 3 times in a row to try and win, just didn't have the time that day was all

My record for fast loosing a game?

Two turns, save humanity,in solo play! cry

This game is a B***h sometimes!

Ok, i understand why you did that. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R C
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well seems they are all sold out.

Colour me pi$$ed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DiggetyDog46 wrote:
swirlsaepi wrote:

Oh, I'm happy for the characters too, even though I don't know who most of them are.

For a lot of people, though, the "alt-content" in the set was a big turn off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vallina
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
if I'm Andy, is Zack April? seems right...
badge
"When I get bummed out, I take my shirt off because the bad feelings make me feel sweaty."
mbmbmbmbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:
DiggetyDog46 wrote:
swirlsaepi wrote:

Oh, I'm happy for the characters too, even though I don't know who most of them are.

For a lot of people, though, the "alt-content" in the set was a big turn off.
I legit want to get Vol. 2 just because badass Spider Gwen becomes a playable character... I love that alt-universe book series..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Tran
msg tools
SW Vol 2 feels to me more like a Spider-Verse small box expansion and the rest of the obscure SW heroes. It adds some interesting keywords, but I wouldn't recommend it without Vol 1. More hero synergies being the main thing.

If I had to order big box:
Dark City
X-Men
Civil War
Secret Wars 1
Secret Wars 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.