Recommend
11 
 Thumb up
 Hide
36 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Hot Deals

Subject: [Best Buy] DropMix Music Game $49.99 (w/free shipping) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Dimitriou
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Don't know much about the game, but it seems like a pretty good deal. Amazon has it for $59.99 right now.

BGG-DropMix
BestBuy

Looks like the deal is only for today (19-Dec).
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Max
United States
Cinci
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It feels like Christmas deals are trending much different than years ago. I did a lot of shopping on Black Friday, and bagged some incredible deals, but now the procrastinators are getting better deals than me... (I paid $75 for Dropmix around BF) soblue
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuxedomouse wrote:
but now the procrastinators are getting better deals than me... (I paid $75 for Dropmix around BF) soblue


Actually it was available for $49.95 around Black Friday too.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bresnan
United States
Decatur
IL
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a very fun game, more so for the freestyle mixing and the music you can create. And with all the different packs of cards you can get, there are tons of combinations. The clash mode is pretty simplistic but that makes it accessible to anyone.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is a fun 2 player game that can be played with four in teams. The technology to make any music mix seamlessly with any other is pretty amazing. You get 60 cards with the base game, each playing a part of a song (base, lyrics, drums, etc) and you will want more. There's plenty available, and they cost about $1 a piece. The cards are NOT randomly packed (which is awesome)!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natasha T
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a $10 reward certificate for Best Buy... picked this up as a last minute gift for my son for $42 with tax and free shipping. Thanks OP!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chance Rushing
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to know the best deal on the booster packs now.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Phelps
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
They call me Troll; Gnawer of the Moon, Giant of Gale-blasts, Curse of the Rain-Hall, Companion of the Sibyl, Nightroaming Hellion, Swallower of the Loaf of Heaven. What is a Troll but that?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

This seems like a cool idea/product (which I would buy at this price), but the music selection just leaves too much to be desired. Looking at the track list, most of the songs are just...*meh*...(less than *meh*, in fact; I've never even heard of most of these people). I guess I must not be their target demographic (they must be going for the younger/teen crowd). There are a few decent older songs, but they are few and far between.




Now get off my lawn!



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll just stay home and play KDM.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This video game seems pretty neat, but given the way the price has dropped so rapidly I wouldn't expect the servers to be up for terribly long.

It's a shame they make these things require an internet device to play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Seaver
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dirge the Troll wrote:

This seems like a cool idea/product (which I would buy at this price), but the music selection just leaves too much to be desired. Looking at the track list, most of the songs are just...*meh*...(less than *meh*, in fact; I've never even heard of most of these people). I guess I must not be their target demographic (they must be going for the younger/teen crowd). There are a few decent older songs, but they are few and far between.

Now get off my lawn!


It could also be a licensing issue or lack of separate tracks for each part. I didn't find anything skimming the forums.

They are probably skewing younger for their target audience, though, given the type of game and the company publishing it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: online requirements.

Apparently, you only need to be online initially to download the music to your device. Once the files are available, you don't need an online connection to play.



I thought about buying the game, but don't have a compatible device for the app or a good bluetooth speaker to use with it... so buy-in costs became slightly ridiculous. I do like the idea though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Heilman
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
Avatar
clearush wrote:
I just want to know the best deal on the booster packs now.


I can't say it's the best deal, but the Hasbro store has two promotions that would apply if you are buying the 6 packs that are available from them (the other two are exclusive to Toys R Us and Target).

Quote:
PROMOTION: Site Wide Free Shipping on orders over $49
Free standard shipping on most orders over $49, on HasbroToyShop.com.

PROMOTION: Spend more save more $5 off $25, $10 off $50, $20 off $100
$5 off purchase of $25 or more, $10 off purchase of $50 or more, or $20 off purchase of $100 or more on most products currently for sale on HasbroToyShop.com though December 25, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. ET with promo code SMSM17.


https://www.hasbro.com/en-us/toys-games/?q=dropmix
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RageGoblin wrote:
This video game seems pretty neat, but given the way the price has dropped so rapidly I wouldn't expect the servers to be up for terribly long.

It's a shame they make these things require an internet device to play.


This is Harmonix, the servers are going to be up for ages. The price drop is just to get more people hooked. Anyone who likes the game is going to buy every single one of the hundreds of cards that are available and they've already announced the next season of expansions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this at Barnes & Noble today for $60. There was a 30% coupon emailed out to some people a day or so ago and with member discount you'd be just under $38 before tax.
1 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll just stay home and play KDM.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
RageGoblin wrote:
This video game seems pretty neat, but given the way the price has dropped so rapidly I wouldn't expect the servers to be up for terribly long.

It's a shame they make these things require an internet device to play.


This is Harmonix, the servers are going to be up for ages. The price drop is just to get more people hooked. Anyone who likes the game is going to buy every single one of the hundreds of cards that are available and they've already announced the next season of expansions.


Rock Band iOS servers lasted three years. VidRhythm is no longer playable or supported, though that was up for about seven years.

Harmonix is also a deeply trouble company that had major downsizing after the commercial failure of Rock Band 4.

To see this routinely half off only a few months after release should not inspire confidence.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheeraz Ahmad
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're more of an Amazon person than Best Buy, it's available at the same price:
Drop Mix at Amazon.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Desi

Washington
msg tools
And like every other harmonix game, it will drop to $10 soon.

Anyone figure out whether the "game" has any strategic fun?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthDesi wrote:
Anyone figure out whether the "game" has any strategic fun?


It's slight as far as strategic depth though you can have a bit of fun deck building once you have enough cards. If this is something you think you'd enjoy as an activity and party game then you'll likely have a blast.

While it's a bit deeper than initially meets the eye, there's also quite a bit of luck with the dropmix button so if you want serious strategic depth you're going to be disappointed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Desi

Washington
msg tools
NuMystic wrote:
DarthDesi wrote:
Anyone figure out whether the "game" has any strategic fun?


It's slight as far as strategic depth though you can have a bit of fun deck building once you have enough cards. If this is something you think you'd enjoy as an activity and party game then you'll likely have a blast.

While it's a bit deeper than initially meets the eye, there's also quite a bit of luck with the dropmix button so if you want serious strategic depth you're going to be disappointed.


Saw the video review on BGG.. not sure if this is really a deck building mechanic at play. So you get points for playing cards, comboing certain colors, and trumping previous played cards.. uhh.. yeah, i'll wait for the $10 drop. I do like rhythm games. In case someone is looking for an interesting deal on another Harmonix game that started out at $99, here's one : https://www.toysrus.com/search?q=guitar%20hero%20live&page=1
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Ballou
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
We just bought this today, and wow is it an impressive piece of tech! And a really fun game to boot. I actually would consider worth the 80-100 dollar price tag.

The game is well designed, and there actually is a lot of good strategy and comboing there. I was surprised by how deep of a game it actually turned out to be. I am absolutely thrilled with my purchase.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theresa C.
United States
Midwestern Girl
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
B&N has it for $59.97 and an additional 30% off if you have the one item coupon that was sent via email. So $41.98 in store before tax.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoardGameDoctor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Picked one up at BestBuy in Columbus yesterday.. two still on the shelf. Also picked up Mirrors and Outbros playlists.

Here is a great link I found to keep track of your cards as your hunt them down! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13TjEBCW5Wv4xJgGVXGV7...

Also recommend picking up grey FF sleeves to keep the cards protected... Stacking 8 seems to be fine, but have not tried up to ~16 suggested possible (while still using the sleeves). It may work better to use cheaper/thinner sleeves if you plan to stack that deep.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nim Chimpsky
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthDesi wrote:

Saw the video review on BGG.. not sure if this is really a deck building mechanic at play. So you get points for playing cards, comboing certain colors, and trumping previous played cards.. uhh.. yeah, i'll wait for the $10 drop. I do like rhythm games. In case someone is looking for an interesting deal on another Harmonix game that started out at $99, here's one : https://www.toysrus.com/search?q=guitar%20hero%20live&page=1


While I don't think of Dropmix as much of a game, it's a lot of fun to play around with. The novelty could wear off at some point, and the game might be heavily discounted/discontinued in the future, but maybe not. Because the additional packs of cards are likely pretty profitable for them, Hasbro may be dropping the price as a way of hooking people into the system.

Sure, Guitar Hero/Rock Band also had a DLC model, but there was a lot of work involved in charting each instrument of each song, across multiple difficulty levels, and then there's always the chance that people just don't care for the song and don't want to buy it. So people would pick and choose from among the DLC.

With Dropmix, I'm sure the process is a bit simpler, and the songs available don't matter as much, except for maybe the vocal/wild cards (there are songs I've never heard of, but it's still fun to have its bass line or keyboard track to mix in with other stuff). So people seem more likely to just want to own every card, rather than get choosy about packs.

By the way, Harmonix didn't make Guitar Hero Live.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Light
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Harmonix was only on Guitar Hero for the First and 2nd one, only. After that, they went to Rock Band.







 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Ballou
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
I'm not so sure about these songs taking less work. Maybe you're right the initial effort is done, but whatever magic goes into not only making sure they trampose and change tempo in a way that sounds good, but also breaking apart each song so it's always verses, bridges, choruses together... this device must have a genius behind it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.