Subject: Still no solo App for this one ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the idea of a new App for this game would be much welcomed and a commercial success...

As it stands now lots of interested players will simply not buy it or (worse) not play it while it lingers on their shelves.

Playing time is simply too long to play with the wife or son...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I don't expect to see an official solo app for this game. It's just not meant to be that kind of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I would be surprised if a solo app came out for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:
I agree. I would be surprised if a solo app came out for this game.

yeah so much of this game is bluffing, outsmarting and fooling your opponent.

how do you program a computer to bluff?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben_Bos wrote:
I think the idea of a new App for this game would be much welcomed and a commercial success...

As it stands now lots of interested players will simply not buy it or (worse) not play it while it lingers on their shelves.

Playing time is simply too long to play with the wife or son...

I think there are wives and sons that love to play this game. Especially wives and sons of people who like this kind of game. I don't think the game is worried about the length at all. My wife is excited about it. Heck, my cat loves it. She like removing the imperial ships that fall in battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An app would be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree. The games with apps from FFG all do it for the same reason:So all players can play and no one is stuck in the gamemaster role.

Rebellion doesn't have a gamemaster role.

If the social experience of playing against an actual human is unappealing or impossible and you want to play against a computer, you should just get the Star Wars Rebellion/Supremacy computer game that inspired the board game.

Board games are for people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see a solo app for this game (and posted about doing one myself at some point,but the idea is boxed away for now). I agree I'd always prefer to play with a human opponent, but when you can't get someone to commit the needed time (even that die-hard fan of Star Wars among my friends hasn't been able to do that) then it's good to have options. PBF is another one, too. whistle
(And you can use Vassal to store most of the state of the game, when you and a human player want to take a break from it - except for decks. I think it helps.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the one hand, Rebellion doesn't fit with the other FFG games that have apps: Mansions of Madness, Descent, and Imperial Assault are one-versus-many campaign-based dungeon-crawlers; X-COM uses the app primarily for the real-time segments.

The common thread is that the app facilitates multiple players to play together, not enable a single player to play by solo.

On the other hand, I have Twilight Struggle on Steam, and it has an option to play against an AI. Some X-Wing players also practice using this site: https://xws-bench.github.io/bench/

Not saying it's a bad idea, but it is kinda out-of-the-blue. I don't think anyone has an expectation for a Rebellion opponent app. FFG can make an opponent app for Rebellion, but it seems so marginal I don't think they'd want to spend the resources on it.

Maybe it'll be a fun project for fans to create? Plant that flag in the ground, set that precedent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
How on earth would a solo app even work?

I mean I'd like a port to PC for this game similar to Twilight Struggle but no ai can feel like a real person. I'd buy it tho

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
just get the Star Wars Rebellion/Supremacy computer game that inspired the board game.

KoalaXav is correct.

This is the solo app you're looking for. You can find it on steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Glez.
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It already exist:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/441550/STAR_WARS_Rebellion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.