Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read on the GMT update that the solitaire and two player games use a card driven system.

How does this work? Is it simply the flowcharts distilled into cards? If so (or even if not), will previous games in the COIN series be able to be retrofitted into such a system?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks for asking, Ian.

How it works in a nutshell is there is a small deck of cards for each non-player faction. You draw a card for their action and execute the instructions on it. The instructions look somewhat like the action boxes in a flowchart. If you cannot execute a card, you draw a new one. There's also a mechanism for playing events rather similar to how event play is handled in many of the published COIN games.

Overall there's similarly to a flowchart but there is no flowchart structure of "diamond" conditions and no "yes" and no "arrows". All that gets replaced by the card draws together with certain conditions printed on some cards (such as "attack only if so and so is the case"). So the idea is to cut out that part of the action selection process and that way make it easier to run the bots.

Another idea I've been working with is to have the bots not use any resources. That's another way of reducing the burden of running the bots. Obviously this throws up design challenges of its own. I'm in the middle of designing and trying out this system right now, so I should be able to tell more in a few months time, I reckon.

As to retrofitting, well, I'm tempted to try my hand in that for sure! No promises at this stage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Argento
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A great system, very innovative. I really like this idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Bauer
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything that reduces the work load on solo players while keeping up the pressure of the bots (and the characteristics of the faction) is a good thing in my book. One of the reasons some COIN games don't get on the table much is the overhead of work that distracts from my own decision making for my own faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The card system sounds interesting, reminds me of Butterfield designs like RAF and the D-Day series.

I'm a big fan of the bots acting like players though, even if it comes with more overhead. An automa style bot that doesn't act like the player and modifies the board state differently can also work, but the fact that the bots largely have the same constraints as a player is something I really like about the COIN games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I think you’ve highlighted something that I can see will divide gamers over the card driven bots, Niko. I’ll certainly be keeping the human-like character of the traditional COIN bots in mind when I design the card driven non-players so hopefully the result will satisfy all parties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
masil wrote:
I think you’ve highlighted something that I can see will divide gamers over the card driven bots, Niko. I’ll certainly be keeping the human-like character of the traditional COIN bots in mind when I design the card driven non-players so hopefully the result will satisfy all parties.
Excellent!
I agree that it will divide people as there isn't really a right answer, just personal preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.