7 Posts

Fallout» Forums » Variants

Subject: Solo variant. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Davies
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Koneko: A PvP worker placement game set in a very Feline Feudal Japan........
badge
Celtic Connection Games
mbmbmbmbmb
The discussion has come up recently regarding the solo game and its balance between difficulty and theme. In short, the solo game can be very easy if you mainline the scenario quests, but this is a very dry and un-falloutlike way to play as it removes all the fun of exploration and questing. On the flip side, if you try to play the game as a fallout style experience it is more thematic and rewarding but significantly harder to actually win.

With this in mind I made the effort to find a decent viariant to balance these better, and I believe I have one.

Set up and play remains the same, we just add a small change to how to handle the faction advancement meter. In solo play when you reach the end of the agenda deck you either advance the token that is furthest behind or move both tokens forward. This is where the variant comes in. Once you have openly chosen which faction to side with you now get an extra option if your faction is behind, instead of moving your faction token down one space you can now choose to move the other token up a space. This is functionally the same effect - your faction has gained on the leade4s, but it also gives us the advantage of having more time to play.

There is also an added tactical element thanks to this, you can better choose which quests to complete and when. Does that quest let you move your faction 3 spaces? Well wait until the other faction is 3 ahead then complete it a drag them back.

This isn't a perfect variant as it doesnt help anyone who wants to mainline a specific faction. For those people the other faction will never get ahead, but if you're okay to play both sides it solves the balancing issue.

Logically you could use the same variant for the other faction to haul you back too, and this is an option for those who won't side with a particular faction as it just reverses the roles in the dynamic, however I don't recommend using this in conjunction with the normal variant as you could use it to exponentially lengthen the game - there does still need to be an end at somepoint

If you do want the option to haul yourself in as well however, it can work by doing so when you activate the other faction at the end of a turn. I haven't trialled this as of yet so you'll need to give us some feedback if you try it.

I'd also appreciate any feedback on the main variant too, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds good, but there's a gaminess to it. Like always completing the other side's quest objective but then using your loyalty to pull them back.

I'd add in a restriction that you cannot complete a quest objective for a faction if you have more loyalty cards of the other faction. (Like if you have 1 Freedom card and no Security cards, you cannot complete the Security side of any quest card.) Just to avoid some blatant cheese moves, you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Davies
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Celtic Connection Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoo wrote:
This sounds good, but there's a gaminess to it. Like always completing the other side's quest objective but then using your loyalty to pull them back.

I'd add in a restriction that you cannot complete a quest objective for a faction if you have more loyalty cards of the other faction. (Like if you have 1 Freedom card and no Security cards, you cannot complete the Security side of any quest card.) Just to avoid some blatant cheese moves, you know.

I get where you're coming from, for me the gaminess isn't a problem as I think it allows for some strategic planning, but it's still a great amendment that is certainly worth people trying. My only concern with it is whether that restriction will lead to a constant turn over of agenda cards and mess up the fliw of the game. Either way, the point of this variant is just to give players some freedom to explore and experience the game without having to mainline the scenario to beat what is effectively an arbitrary countdown, as long as that is realised then the variant is a success and people can tweak it to suit themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Day
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the quest cards are designed such that it's impossible to complete the main quest without the game ending by one faction hitting the last spot. If you can move a faction backwards, even just one space, you could end up with a situation where the main quest is completed but the game doesn't end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Davies
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Celtic Connection Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Hedgehobbit wrote:
I think the quest cards are designed such that it's impossible to complete the main quest without the game ending by one faction hitting the last spot. If you can move a faction backwards, even just one space, you could end up with a situation where the main quest is completed but the game doesn't end.
I haven't seen them all yet, but the ones I have seen are open ended, you can keep completing the quest for the faction rewards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Broadfoot wrote:
I haven't seen them all yet, but the ones I have seen are open ended, you can keep completing the quest for the faction rewards.

The Commonwealth scenario definitely ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Davies
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Celtic Connection Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoo wrote:
Steve Broadfoot wrote:

The Commonwealth scenario definitely ends.

Hmm, ok then, I'll take another look and see if I can improve it. Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.