Subject: learning... where should I start? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam R
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
So I’ll be getting this game as a Christmas gift (my wife isn’t very good about surprises )

I’ve heard that the rule book is not very good and they’re are many parts where rules questions pop up without an obvious spot to find answers. So where should I start?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Andrikopoulos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First I would suggest you watch Rodney Smith's How to Play Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJjoxACoVuM

Afterwards, the Seafall Forums will be your best friend, especially the Unofficial FAQ thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1606358/captains-log-unoffi...

While the original post is spoiler-friendly, the replies are not so be careful! Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Gelinas
Canada
Laval
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To avoid rules confusion, there is no way to start. At first, there aren't any confusing rules; the problem begins when new rules are added. Still, here's a tip: Keep the BGG forums near, you will need them later. Also, whenever you come across an ambiguous rule, write down how you resolved it. You will come across that rule many times and you will need to come back to BGG each time it comes up, so better write down the resolution to avoid that hassle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al Cann
United States
Warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, feel free to ask questions! That might be better than risking spoilers on the forums. Seafall has gotten a lot of negative press, but there a number of dedicated Seafall fans who are more than willing to help and help quickly.

Unsolicited advice to maximize your enjoyment of this game:

1 -- If you have played Pandemic Legacy 1 or 2, do not expect Seafall to be remotely like it.

2 -- Prepare yourself for a heavy game. It takes a while and the turns can be long particularly when you first are getting used to the game. Pay attention to what your opponents are doing to help pass the time, prevent inadvertent rules mistakes, and learn the game.

3 -- As I said, be free with your questions. Much of the negative press revolved around the confusing rules. Take advantage of those who paved the way before you, know the pitfalls, and can steer you clear of them.

4 -- Enjoy the experience! The game is more about the experience than winning and losing. If there is a runaway leader, stay at it and enjoy the game. It really has some interesting concepts.

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, start with the rule book. You can find the PDF online. The base rule book itself isn't actually that bad. It's the new rules that are introduced and the ambiguities within those that make things rough. For those, you'll have BGG, and especially the Captain's Log (unofficial FAQ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One quick suggestion: don't physically destroy used up components. Instead, designate one of the unused boxes (perhaps Box 1 after you unlock it) as "the trash can" and toss "destroyed" cards there. Many people find they want to refer back to the text they'd read, and it's easier and faster to dig the card out of a chest than to post on BGG and wait for a response while a game is in progress.

If you're worried that you'd be "playing it the wrong way", read the definition of 'destroy' in the glossary in the back of the rules -- especially the last few words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i think it's easy to overlook this but there are some more rules in the very front of the captain's book. make sure you read those along with the original rules.

as others have said the base rules are fine. as boxes open, there are questions that will come up. you may want to think about how important it is to you that you play "correctly". there is going to be ambiguity in the campaign. i think the game is fun but some folks have a hard time reconciling that ambiguity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefaan Henderickx
Belgium
Kallo
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest playing with 3 if you have the choice. It really makes a difference in down time and total playing time (because the point goal is not different with different playing counts). I think a lot of the reviewers played with 4 or even 5. We play with 3 and our games never last longer than around 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam R
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
WOW, thanks you all!

So much good information! I was a little worried about taking on this game but now I feel super excited!

And I know I shouldn’t compare it to previous legacy games. I’m going at it without an expectancy. I just want to enjoy it for what it is.

I do have one more question:
I’ll be playing with 5 people. Will that be pretty bad? Is there some advice you guys could give me! We’re okay with some downtime, but is it really bad? What would you guys recommend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefaan Henderickx
Belgium
Kallo
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should be prepared for games that last around 4 hours. I hope no player of those 5 is a slow player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Andrikopoulos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
LateShacka wrote:
WOW, thanks you all!

So much good information! I was a little worried about taking on this game but now I feel super excited!

And I know I shouldn’t compare it to previous legacy games. I’m going at it without an expectancy. I just want to enjoy it for what it is.

I’ll be playing with 5 people. Will that be pretty bad? Is there some advice you guys could give me! We’re okay with some downtime, but is it really bad? What would you guys recommend?

We did a 5p campaign as well. Games 2-9 lasted around 4 hours and Games 10-14 were reduced to 2,5 - 3. We had a couple of Analysis Paralysis players so if your group is faster it will not be too bad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam R
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
OK, and of those 3-4 hours was the game engaging enough to keep you interested? Or did it fall flat every now and then hen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Gelinas
Canada
Laval
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a 5P campaign as well. As it's been said already, some games will go over 3 hours if you have some slow players. And to be fair, the downtime isn't very engaging most of the time. It's fun to see what happens on other player's endeavors and stuff like that, it's fun to see new things pop up; but you won't be planning for your next turn that much. Board state can change enough to put a monkey wrench in your gear just before your next turn arrives, so planning ahead is nice, but not foolproof.

Still, I don't regret playing it 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Andrikopoulos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
LateShacka wrote:
OK, and of those 3-4 hours was the game engaging enough to keep you interested? Or did it fall flat every now and then hen?

Personally, I was the one knowing all the rules so I HAD to be engaged at all times to answer questions etc. This is fun for me. I know that there were times that other players just couldn't concentrate a lot when it wasn't your turn but at least the tried to formulate a plan so their turns didn't last too long!

All in all, I think legacy games should be played at full player count so no regrets!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LateShacka wrote:

This is a highly polarizing game. There have been many people who have HATED it. I've heard of campaigns that quit by unanimous decision after only a few games (and in my first campaign, I had a player drop out after Game 0). On the other hand, other people like or even love the game. Note that I referred to my "first" campaign above... And I've heard of others who have played three or more campaigns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam R
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
Becq wrote:
LateShacka wrote:

This is a highly polarizing game. There have been many people who have HATED it. I've heard of campaigns that quit by unanimous decision after only a few games (and in my first campaign, I had a player drop out after Game 0). On the other hand, other people like or even love the game. Note that I referred to my "first" campaign above... And I've heard of others who have played three or more campaigns.

I understand that but I’m goig in knowing about the negativity the game has gotten. I’m going in without the expectation of a pandemic or risk legacy. I’m really interested in the exploration and opening packs. My expectations aren’t high and I’m not going in expecting the greatest game I’ve ever played.

So I think I’ll enjoy it, plus I usually enjoy most games. I’m pretty easy to please and I’m open to any game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LateShacka wrote:
I understand that but I’m goig in knowing about the negativity the game has gotten. I’m going in without the expectation of a pandemic or risk legacy. I’m really interested in the exploration and opening packs. My expectations aren’t high and I’m not going in expecting the greatest game I’ve ever played.

So I think I’ll enjoy it, plus I usually enjoy most games. I’m pretty easy to please and I’m open to any game.

I'd say you have good odds, then!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd really avoid 5. We had 3 and loved it. One person is a great rules reader and interpreter and even then we still argued a couple times on exactly how we would play something. With 5 that's 2 more people to work through to get consensus. Plus with 5 that's that many more people you have to hope like and can endure the game. I'd hate for you to lose one person 3 games in.

Yet if you all get along don't mind some longer games and can generally agree on some consensus items you'll be ok. Remeber not to get too down on a leader running away with the game. I came back to win from a leader who seemed quite insurmountable (he'll never live it down). Since I won I'm going to just go ahead and say we interpreted all the rules "completely correct".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 4 and 5. I thought 4 worked well; 5 was ok, also, but slower/longer. More players definitely means more competition for resources (especially milestones).

One (somewhat subtle) thing I've noticed is that the catch-up mechanisms inflict more pain on the leader for larger player-count games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LateShacka wrote:
WOW, thanks you all!

we played with 5 and really enjoyed it. that said your first game will have a lot of downtime between turns as you learn. once people get rolling we were fine. we had a house rule that you had to be planning your turn while other people were taking their turns. everyone pretty much respected that and thus the majority of turns were brief.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jurgen I
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I would say start reading the rule book thoroughly! And watch how to play on Youtube. Me and my companions decided to play the prologue several times. To get used to the mechanics of the game. If you want to do this, copy the sticker sheets and use this during the first couple of games. If you think you had enough with the prologue start putting the stickers on the board after that game.
I hope you'll enjoy this game! Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.