Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler Himel
United States
Washington
DC
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here are some rule clarifications that may be easy to miss on the first games.

Taking an action on a location with 2 or more tiles:
If resource tiles, players may purchase as many as they desire, but must buy at least one.

If scoring discs, players can only take one. This will only happen in a 2 or 3 player game.

Taking an action on a barrel space:
Players may claim any amount of barrel achievements he/she has met. Must claim at least one.

Reaching the Starting Space:
Players may choose any benefit/reward. However, the last player to reach the space must choose the "first player" bonus if it is still available. This also applies to the final round. For example, in a two player game, the second player to reach the starting tile will be required to take "first player" if it is still available.

Activating:
Resource tile activation: Resources score based on the number (1-5) and location (sun/shade)
Monk Activation: Move brewmaster

Triggering Monks via Scoring Disc:
1. Place a scoring disc on a monk to trigger all monks of that type.

2. All monks of that type activate adjacent resources. Resources score normally per the rules. The monk, himself, does not activate.

If a monk of the triggered type is adjacent to another monk, adjacent monks activate. This means the brewmaster moves one space per activated monk.

Note: When two identical monks are triggered and are also adjacent, monk #1 activates adjacent resources (score markers/money) then will activate adjacent monk #2 (move brewmaster). Then, monk #2 activates resources then activates the former adjacent monk #1. This example will lead to at least two brewmaster movements.

End of Round Refilling Action Spaces:
Monks and resource tokens, add one per space. There may be multiple tokens on a single space. Scoring discs can have multiple per space in 2/3 players. Only one per space in 4 players.

2 Players: Add a token/disc to each space. Final round, add an additional disc to scoring "b" and "c."

3 Players: Add a token/disc to each space. Final round, add an additional disc to scoring "b," "c," and the first "a/b/c."

4 Players: Add a token to each space. Refill scoring disc to one per space.

Final Scoring:
Convert movement via brewmaster ratio first, then players may pay 10 ducats per space to move up the farthest behind resource marker.

Score multiplier is based on lowest scoring resource marker multiplied by brew master multiplier tier.

Whoever ended on the "first player" bonus of the starting tile gets one additional victory point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grey Pilgrim wrote:

If fertility tiles, players my purchase as many as they desire, but must buy at least one.

If scoring discs, players can only take one.

Players may claim any amount of barrel achievements he/she has met. Must claim at least one.

Players may choose any benefit/reward. However, the last player to reach the space must choose the "first player" bonus. This also applies to the final round. For example, in a two player game, the second player to reach the starting tile will be required to take "first player."

Activate and Triggering (Monks):
Place a scoring disc on a monk to trigger all monks of that type.

All monks of that type activate adjacent resources. Resources score normally per the rules.

If a monk of the triggered type is adjacent to another monk, adjacent monks activate. The brewmaster moves one space per activated monk in this manner.

Note: When two identical monks are triggered and are also adjacent, monk #1 activates adjacent resources (score markers/money) then will activate adjacent monk (move brewmaster). Then, monk #2 activates resources then activates the former adjacent monk. This example will lead to at least two brewmaster movements.

Final Scoring:
Convert movement via brewmaster ratio first, then players may pay 10 ducats per space to move up the farthest behind resource marker.

Score multiplier is based on lowest scoring resource marker multiplied by brew master multiplier tier.

Whoever ended on the "first player" bonus of the starting tile gets one additional victory point.

All true and good hints for players to be aware... just a little clarification to what you say in the highlighted part by me...

that makes it seem that the adjacent monk will be activated meaning that he will trigger resources and money from adjacent tiles, just to be clear, that doesn't happen so it would be probably useful to use a different word than activate, maybe trigger a brewer movement for example because when a monk that is activated is adjacent to another monk what you get from the adjacent monk is only a brewmaster advancement like you say in the following sentence

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
Pugs are like little people in fur coats.
badge
If it's not a Pug, it's just a dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
Grey Pilgrim wrote:

If fertility tiles, players my purchase as many as they desire, but must buy at least one.

If scoring discs, players can only take one.

Players may choose any benefit/reward. However, the last player to reach the space must choose the "first player" bonus if it is still available. This also applies to the final round. For example, in a two player game, the second player to reach the starting tile will be required to take "first player" if it is still available.

Activate and Triggering (Monks):
Place a scoring disc on a monk to trigger all monks of that type.

All monks of that type activate adjacent resources. Resources score normally per the rules.

If a monk of the triggered type is adjacent to another monk, adjacent monks activate. The brewmaster moves one space per activated monk in this manner.

Note: When two identical monks are triggered and are also adjacent, monk #1 activates adjacent resources (score markers/money) then will activate adjacent monk (move brewmaster). Then, monk #2 activates resources then activates the former adjacent monk. This example will lead to at least two brewmaster movements.

Final Scoring:

To follow Paulo's lead, I too have highlighted an area that needs a little more clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Himel
United States
Washington
DC
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks and edited.

They confusion comes from how each tile activates.

Added this:
Quote:
Activating:
Resource tile activation: Resources score based on the number (1-5) and location (sun/shade)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
helena_poprad wrote:

Actually, there cannot be more than 1 disc on the location. See Preparing the next round in the rulebook:
Quote:

3. Refill the scoring disc spaces so that
each contains exactly 1 scoring disc.

In the last round of the game there are at least 3 purple disc spaces that will have 2 discs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
helena_poprad wrote:

Actually, there cannot be more than 1 disc on the location. See Preparing the next round in the rulebook:
Quote:

In the last round of the game there are at least 3 purple disc spaces that will have 2 discs

But only in a 2-3 player game. In a four player game, only one disc per space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Q
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
helena_poprad wrote:

Quote:

At least? It’s not true. In All rounds except the last there can be only one disc per spot (you do not refill after round if noone took it)
In a last round of a 2p game there are EXACTLY 2 spaces that have two discs (B and C), in a 3p game there are 3 spaces containing two discs (additional disc on the first A/B/C disc space).
It is worth adding that one player can still take only ONE disc from a spot, even if there are two available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Curtis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another clarification that we found useful is that more than one player can be on the same space (only applicable on barrel spaces or when the player that went there first did not take all the resources/monks/purple tokens).

Looked that up when one player tried to block on the final barrel space...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Himel
United States
Washington
DC
flag msg tools
mbmb
mattcurtis89 wrote:
Another clarification that we found useful is that more than one player can be on the same space (only applicable on barrel spaces or when the player that went there first did not take all the resources/monks/purple tokens).

Matt,

I'm interested in your thoughts on this.

Under "Gameplay" (page 3) in the rulebook, just before it discusses the different actions, it lists these further rules:

Quote:
• You may never move your player figure backwards nor stay with it where you are.
• You may move to an action space occupied by other player figures.
• You may never move to any space whose action you are not able to perform. This means you may not move to a resource or monk space where
there isn’t any tile, nor may you move to a scoring disc space where there isn’t any scoring disc. Similarly, you may not move to a barrel space if you have not achieved any barrel’s goal (see page 6).

This is big if it is the case! I'm curious about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grey Pilgrim wrote:
mattcurtis89 wrote:

Matt,

I'm interested in your thoughts on this.

Under "Gameplay" (page 3) in the rulebook, just before it discusses the different actions, it lists these further rules:

Quote:
• You may never move your player figure backwards nor stay with it where you are.
• You may never move to any space whose action you are not able to perform. This means you may not move to a resource or monk space where
there isn’t any tile, nor may you move to a scoring disc space where there isn’t any scoring disc. Similarly, you may not move to a barrel space if you have not achieved any barrel’s goal (see page 6).

This is big if it is the case! I'm curious about this.

Sorry but I don't understand what you want to discuss with the quote... is it that players can go to spaces occupied by others? If that it Matt already said so but only if there's an action on that space to be preformed by the player and that he can do it, like it's said by Matt and the bullet point after the one you highlighted...

That's why I'm not understanding your post, can you clarify? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Himel
United States
Washington
DC
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am understanding that the rules
State players cannot move to a space where another player is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grey Pilgrim wrote:
I am understanding that the rules
State players cannot move to a space where another player is.
Why would you say that when you yourself quoted the rules that say
You may move to an action space occupied by other player figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Curtis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grey Pilgrim wrote:

• You may never move to any space whose action you are not able to perform.

Yeah that seems pretty unambiguous to me. So if there's a player on a space but there's still an action you can take on the space you can go there as well. Most commonly happens in final round on the barrel spots and the double purple spots in the 2p/3p game I'd guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Himel
United States
Washington
DC
flag msg tools
mbmb
Indeed. I saw a phantom “not” in that sentence. Thanks for pointing that out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grey Pilgrim wrote:
Indeed. I saw a phantom “not” in that sentence. Thanks for pointing that out
I can't count the number of times I've seen that phantom "not" or ignored one that was actually there when reading rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deni Kid
msg tools
I have a setup question. do you randomly pull out token from the bag, and setup number I resource tiles, or do you separate each resource and draw one after another? :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Himel
United States
Washington
DC
flag msg tools
mbmb
For resource tiles:
Separate the number "I" and number "II" tokens. Then, randomly place only number "I" tokens on the board. Continue for the next few rounds until you run out of "I" tokens. From here (likely round 4-6) use "II" tokens for the remainder of the game.

The initial setup is somewhat similar to Great Western Trail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Szabolcs Eotvos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! Resource activation question: if i have 2 resources on a space and I have money for just one,can i buy the first one and place it (enclosing a shed spot, thus getting money to buy the other resource), or the buying part is ended after getting the first resource?
I know the rulebook states:
"If the placement of a resource tile leads to the enclosure of a shed spot (because
there is a tile in each of the six spots adjacent to it), carry out the shed tile procedure
described on page 6 immediately. "

But still, the question is , can i continue buying resources with the newly acquired money or the "immediately" part refers to immediately after the buying "phase".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grey Pilgrim wrote:
Separate the number "I" and number "II" tokens. Then, randomly place only number "I" tokens on the board. Continue for the next few rounds until you run out of "I" tokens. From here (likely round 4-6) use "II" tokens for the remainder of the game.

Not "likely" - exactly. There are always 15 resource tiles drawn for each round, so after round 3, 45 of the I tiles will be done. Round 4 will start with the last 5 I tiles, followed by 10 II tiles. At the end of all 6 rounds (assuming a 4-player game) there should be 10 resource tiles left in the bag.

Drinky wrote:
Hi! Resource activation question: if i have 2 resources on a space and I have money for just one,can i buy the first one and place it (enclosing a shed spot, thus getting money to buy the other resource), or the buying part is ended after getting the first resource?

I'd like to see an official clarification of this, too. Short of that, I'm assuming that money gained from placing the first can be used to buy and place the second, just because it seems more fun to play that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Berven
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Grey Pilgrim wrote:

If resource tiles, players may purchase as many as they desire, but must buy at least one.

If scoring discs, players can only take one. This will only happen in a 2 or 3 player game.

Activating:

Triggering Monks via Scoring Disc:
1. Place a scoring disc on a monk to trigger all monks of that type.

2. All monks of that type activate adjacent resources. Resources score normally per the rules. The monk, himself, does not activate.

If a monk of the triggered type is adjacent to another monk, adjacent monks activate. This means the brewmaster moves one space per activated monk.

Note: When two identical monks are triggered and are also adjacent, monk #1 activates adjacent resources (score markers/money) then will activate adjacent monk #2 (move brewmaster). Then, monk #2 activates resources then activates the former adjacent monk #1. This example will lead to at least two brewmaster movements.

End of Round Refilling Action Spaces:
Monks and resource tokens, add one per space. There may be multiple tokens on a single space. Scoring discs can have multiple per space in 2/3 players. Only one per space in 4 players.

2 Players: Add a token/disc to each space. Final round, add an additional disc to scoring "b" and "c."

3 Players: Add a token/disc to each space. Final round, add an additional disc to scoring "b," "c," and the first "a/b/c."

4 Players: Add a token to each space. Refill scoring disc to one per space.

Final Scoring:

If the part in bold is true, why does the rulebook say "for each of your activated (rather than triggered) monk tiles' in the section about moving brew crafters? Doesn't this mean that if an adjacent monk tile is also a triggered monk, ignore it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:
If the part in bold is true, why does the rulebook say "for each of your activated (rather than triggered) monk tiles' in the section about moving brew crafters? Doesn't this mean that if an adjacent monk tile is also a triggered monk, ignore it?

No. It's just trying to make it clear that triggering does not have this effect, only activating. There is nothing that says that a triggered monk cannot also be activated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Berven
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
tool wrote:
Quote:

No. It's just trying to make it clear that triggering does not have this effect, only activating. There is nothing that says that a triggered monk cannot also be activated.

I think I now agree with this interpretation but it's an unfortunate "clarification" as it actually adds to the confusion. A better wording would have been "For each monk tile activated by an adjacent monk or shed tile, move your brewmaster one step forward on your production track."

Has anyone gotten a clarification from the designer or publisher or is this all speculation/interpretation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
A representative of the publisher already clarified this in the other thread where you are arguing about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Berven
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
tool wrote:
A representative of the publisher already clarified this in the other thread where you are arguing about it.

Fair enough. How does a monk behave when activated by a shed tile? Does it activate all adjacent tiles or just move the brewmaster?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
berv63 wrote:
tool wrote:

Fair enough. How does a monk behave when activated by a shed tile? Does it activate all adjacent tiles or just move the brewmaster?
Moves the brewmaster. The only way a Monk activates the tiles surrounding it is by placing a scoring disk on the Monk scoring spot, Triggering the appropriate monk(s).

A triggered monk (scoring disk) activates all the tiles that surround it. If a monk is activated, it moves the brewmaster. If a shed tile is placed, the tiles you choose are activated, and an activated monk moves the brewmaster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.