Subject: What are your thoughts? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald Ritchie
United States
Lakeland
FL
flag msg tools
There are alot of cross overs. Some good. Some horrid. What do you think the new mechanics are going to be. Will we battle to be the new God's of the DC universe? Will be pawns as the God's battle causing events to destroy everything we built?

What I have learned is these packs feel lacking. There are not enough cards, or the character abilities just never trigger.

The best cross over by far is the Rogues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Steele
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing Protector cards will be similar to Block cards. They'll allow you to prevent an attack on your homeworld. I'm curious how it will work because it seems Protector is not guaranteed.

Seems like the game will be co-op and free-for-all at the same time. In a 4 player game, its like a 2v2 but every player has their own goal to win and take a homeworld but will work together to defend the other homeworld. Be watchful for betrayal in the late game? If it plays like this, my friend is going to love it. He has a player manipulation style, convincing other players to do things that seems good but really benefits himself in the end.
Maybe in an odd-numbered player game, the "team" with the lesser players will be given some sort of advantage for attacking and protecting homeworlds.

The expansions are pretty small but that's why its suggested to mix the expansion cards in the upper half of the main deck. I'm guessing expansions are small because there is a conscience effort to keep the main deck under a certain number for the sake of play time and to make running out the make deck a genuine concern as the game progresses. It has definitely been a factor in my group's games. Player A wins because Player B ran out the main deck before player C could have an insane turn and gain enough VP for the win.
My group will sometimes mix 2 expansion in the main deck. Usually 1 crossover and 1 crisis. We mixed Crisis 1 and 2 once, that was crazy, THE COMBOS.

I disagree with your opinion of Rouges. The teamwork mechanic is just too OP. It wouldn't be so bad if the oversized cards didn't have the mechanic too; Glider can burn. The fact that players can just teamwork the crap out of you in an effort to steal your ongoings is really discouraging. Thematically, it works seeing how the Rouges are a bunch of thieves but I worked to gain these cards and you're just gonna take it because your character says so? No
If/when we play Rouges again, it will be without the characters that came with it.

Generally speaking, if you aren't activating your character much, you aren't buiding properly. Of course some characters require you to go out of your way to activate, aren't even worth your time, are only really useful in different game types and base games, or your just having a bad session of DCDBG; but still, I usually don't have many problems triggering effects.
While I have all the current bases and expansions, I haven't played all the crossovers yet (sometimes life just gets in the way) but, I find it hard to believe any of them are more discouraging than Rouges. Maybe Watchmen's Mastmind 1vAll game but the cards are still interesting and can be used to play a standard game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Yamaguchi
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Navarone wrote:

I disagree with your opinion of Rouges. The teamwork mechanic is just too OP. It wouldn't be so bad if the oversized cards didn't have the mechanic too; Glider can burn. The fact that players can just teamwork the crap out of you in an effort to steal your ongoings is really discouraging. Thematically, it works seeing how the Rouges are a bunch of thieves but I worked to gain these cards and you're just gonna take it because your character says so? No
If/when we play Rouges again, it will be without the characters that came with it.

If you don’t like stealing Ongoing cards you can play that they are returned at the end of your turn. That was the original design intent anyway.

Also, wanted to make sure you know you can only teamwork once by default after the first Super Hero is defeated. That person is also getting a VP from the pool, so it’s not like they aren’t getting anything in return.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Steele
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Handing out VPs from a pool means little if everyone is doing it.

Yes, I'm aware the Super Villains' Teamwork can only be used once per turn. It's just that effects that give a card for negligible cost is always a really good effect. Many cards in the game have that effect but the SVs can do it once per turn, every turn, regardless of cards in hand as long as The Flash isn't on the stack. That's too good.

Returning ongoings can certainly help, thats something I can run by the group. Glider is still busted though lol
Care to elaborated on why the decision to maintain possession of ongoings was made?
I've played a few TCGs/CCGs and I'm always curious about the process regarding effect restrictions, rulings and bans/limitatins in the card pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Navarone wrote:
Care to elaborated on why the decision to maintain possession of ongoings was made?
I've played a few TCGs/CCGs and I'm always curious about the process regarding effect restrictions, rulings and bans/limitatins in the card pool.

Teamwork was not designed with the idea that cards could be stolen.
It happens very rarely, unless you are playing Rogues with Teen Titans.
It was around the time of Rogues that we started using "When it leaves play..." wording on borrowed cards, as it avoids a lot a complications if stolen cards are destroyed or other things.
The side effect was that Teamworking an Ongoing now steals it, usually permanently. Since it seemed so in flavor for a set full of Rogues, we decided not to change how Teamwork worked.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Steele
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, an accident that was in theme

"uh-oh, this steals permanently... well, they are thieves... you know what, that works, leave it" LOL

When we played Rouges, we used Teen Titans as the base and Glider was in play. We felt the full force of Teamwork lol

We've talked about using Rogues with Forever Evil instead. Matches up better seeing out that set is about the villains and it has fewer ongoings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Yamaguchi
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Rogues definitely shines the most with Forever Evil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Herandez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So teamwork steals ongoing cards completely?? I play competitive and I never even played like that.

I like it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrlebarican wrote:
So teamwork steals ongoing cards completely?? I play competitive and I never even played like that.

Here's a brief FAQ thread for Crossover 5 (Rogues) that clarifies teamwork, including the stealing of Ongoing cards (like Locations).

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1763485/brief-faq
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dritchie871 wrote:
There are alot of cross overs...What I have learned is these packs feel lacking. There are not enough cards, or the character abilities just never trigger.

The people who tend to dislike the Crossover packs are the fans who mix all of their cards together. That doesn't work with the DC expansions with self-contained, highly specific mechanics.

For example, I only play the Arrow Crossover (#2) as follows:

- only the Arrow super villains and super heroes are used

- all other expansion cards are removed from the main deck

- before swapping in the 14 main deck Arrow cards, 14 cards are randomly swapped out

This set-up guarantees that the expansion has a reasonable effect on the game. I.e., it helps the expansion work thematically as a stand-alone experience. I wouldn't like Arrow at all if it were a pack that I mixed in randomly with all other expansions.

Played in this manner, I like all of the Crossover packs. Pretty much.

You can also do what the designer(s) suggest, which is to mix the Crossover cards into the top half of the main deck. That also helps ensure that the cards see play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm intrigued by the new mechanics. I like Cerberus iterations that change up the "villain stack" mechanic. This one looks to be quite fun.

As to my thoughts on past Crossovers, I think they've been getting more interesting in recent years. JSA and Legion were ok, but not TOO much of a deviation from the standard DC formula. Arrow was a bit of a hybrid of DC/Street Fighter and made some fun combos, but most players I play with don't like the divergence with the live action captures. Watchmen is really interesting both for the time travel mechanic and the alternate endgame. However, the fact that it is such a departure from the base gameplay made it the least used in my group. Rogues is a lot of fun, Teamwork makes for some fun combos, but I agree, don't use Teen Titans. I've only had a chance to play BoP twice, but I really like it. It's not the most interesting gimmick, but I've been able to get some really fun card interactions off of the rotation mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bronson Gagnon
msg tools
I, personally, love all of the crossover packs. I love the JSA in that starters are more valuable. Arrow switches things up in an interesting way. Legion is fun with Time Travel. I like how it makes it fresh. Watchmen is probably my favorite for theme and alternate game mode but is my least played because I normally only do a 2 player game. Rogues really made it interesting and Birds Of Prey was just awesome the one time I played it.

Now I think JSA suffers from too few main deck cards and I've played whole games without seeing one card. But the new heroes are fun to play as.

Arrow is fun but Diggle's ability has been near impossible for me to pull off. Still fun, but he has the worst ability IMHO.

Legion is so much fun to use, but my wife and I have broken the Multiverse game twice with these cards in the Event Line-up.

Watchmen is great but needs at least 3 to be used to its full potential and most of my casual friends would rather do a Crisis.

Rogues was fun and interesting, but I will say that Golden Glider seems way too OP. Every game I've played with her has been insane.

The Birds Of Prey pack was fun and almost as consistent as Legion. The rotation was fun but the guy I played with was taking ridiculously long turns and would forget most of his powers and would recount multiple times.

All in all, I love them. They tweak each game in a different way. I have most of the base sets, Multiverse, Teen Titans GO! And the Crossovers. I think these are my favorite expansions so that is why I pre ordered the New Gods set. Reading the synopsis makes me curious what it will do for the game seeing as how you buy parts of worlds instead of heroes or villains. And each part benefits each player so it seems like they have stack ongoing. No idea, but I'm glad to see the New Gods getting more love in the game. We'll see what they have coming up after because DC has so much to draw from.

Also, who wants an expansion to Rick And Morty DBG??? My wife and I love that one almost as much as DC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Steele
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you shuffle the expansions into the upper half of the main deck, there shouldn't be any problem with drawing the cards. JSA just needs more SVs in my humble opinion

Legion really does make for some crazy turns in multiverse. We've had it pop up on the 1st event line-up before. The early game was basically eliminated. It felt like everyone was on turn 10. I assume that it would be easier to deal with in a standard game

I like Watchmen's cards but I don't care for the Mastermind mode. I feel that when you have 3 players, you should play Crisis mode. 3 players seems to be optimal in that mode.

Glider is beyond OP lol. Imagine glider in multiverse with a Legion event line-up

Haven't played with Arrow or Birds of Prey yet outside of Multiverse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Sampson
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I haven't tried all the expansions but I did enjoy JSA I just found that the heroes did not crossover well versus other sets heroes which I hate but I did enjoy it. Like several others here I felt that it needed duplicates on some of the cards. I like Watchman but it is more involved that what my general game group wants. I adore Birds of Prey and play it frequently even when played against the Teen Titans heroes or the Crisis Heroes I have in that game it is competitive and adds an additional layer of strategy without taking anything away from Teen Titans.
I'm excited because there's a ton of old DC stories and maybe this will spur people to seek out the old Jack Kirby stories. They're weird and unique and worth the effort to find and read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay NoWay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
The Crossovers are very subjective to me, with the mechanics, the art, and the characters playing a big role in my interest.

New Gods doesn't really appeal to me outside of "it will probably have a Darkseid over-sized card and some Darkseid flavour cards." That's probably not enough of a draw for me, honestly.

It's at least in the same art style, though. Arrowverse and Teen Titans GO are turn-offs to me because the art style is so far off from the other sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.