Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kim Still
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm strongly considering picking up Charterstone, but I think to get a group together for 12 games, I would probably just play with my husband. However, I have 5-year-old who is quickly becoming obsessed with gaming (he wanted me to put Keyflower on his Christmas list). So far we've played a lot of King of Tokyo and Pandemic(his current favorite), but he's also been interested in Dungeon Petz and Kanban. Kanban has been harder because I need to explain his goals to him, but then I know about his goals, which is less than ideal. (Though obviously, I just choose to pretend I don't.)

My initial impression of Charterstone is that he could handle the beginning game pretty well, but how does it ramp up in complexity? Does everything remain open information or do players end up with secret goals at some point? Are there any really punishing points? He doesn't do well when he's totally blocked off from a plan he has. Has anyone tried it with kids much below the recommended age?

I'm also considering putting my four-year-old in charge of an automa, because she doesn't really care, but she doesn't like being left out, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kravetz
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 11yr old and 7 yr old. I plan on starting Charterstone with the 4 of us(wife included). I believe from reading several discussions on these forums that the 11 yr old can handle the rules. I'm just not sure if she can maintain interest especially if she starts losing badly. I'm concerned about the 7 yr olds ability to understand the rules but I'm not worried about keeping interest. She always wants to play whatever games we're playing even if she doesn't fully understand the rules or is losing.

I plan on starting the campaign with both kids and probably use automata if they lose interest. This way their charters will continue to develop if they decide to rejoin the campaign. I'm hoping though the cutesy artwork and the fact it's "their" charter will keep them going.

Sadly, while I have the game I won't know how it will turn out until after Xmas. Since Santa is bringing it....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rakstad
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat, so I'm curious to hear what others experience.
I have a 14 year old, 12 year old, and 9 year old that I think would all stay pretty engaged. I also have a 7 year old that I think would be totally into the theme, and into the stickers and naming, etc, but I think she would lose interest as it becomes more complicated. However, I too am planning to use automa if she does end up dropping out.

For me, it's about the experience of building the village. That's what I think will be so much fun for the kids. My 14 year old and I will likely be going head to head on the scoring and strategy, but as we build the village together, I get that impression that the kids will enjoy that part of the game more than the scoring. At least I hope so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It depends on the child. I have played euros with 8 yr olds who have crushed me. My 9 year old is very smart but has 0 interest in board games. My 12 year old likes board games but i doubt she could do the later stufff without me heavily coaching her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frahm
United States
Queen Creek
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
@FRAHMINATOR
mbmbmb
mkmagius01 wrote:
I plan on starting the campaign with both kids and probably use automata if they lose interest. This way their charters will continue to develop if they decide to rejoin the campaign. I'm hoping though the cutesy artwork and the fact it's "their" charter will keep them going.

This is my plan. My kids are 13, 8 and 5 but I am not always able to convince all three to game at the same time. I plan to run a 4 or 5 player game, substituting the automa as needed for the younger two. My 13 year old crushes me at pretty much everything we play, so no concerns there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was exactly in your boat four games ago. I thought there'd be no better way for me to finish 12 games than to play with my wife and 6 year old daughter who has grown up on board games. She can handle most 8+ games, but there's no way she'd get Kanban. You've got a pretty gifted 5 year old if he can play that game.

Our first game experience went well enough. She loved the setup and "role-playing" aspect the most. She handled the game itself pretty well, but there was a bit of hand-holding and help with identifying tangible goals.

My wife and I couldn't wait another day to play Game 2, so after ZoeSophia went to bed, we played again substituting her with an Automa. In that game, it became clear that the game was going to get too complicated and offer an overwhelming array of options for my daughter. We haven't pushed her to play again. We finished Game 4 and we were right about things becoming too much for her and so now continue with the Automa.

Every kid is admittedly different. I heard of kids playing Terra Mystica and Dominion at 4. Your kid plays Kanban at 5. I'd say give it a go. If it gets to be too much, it's easy to bring in that Automa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frahm
United States
Queen Creek
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
@FRAHMINATOR
mbmbmb
mbialeck wrote:
I was exactly in your boat four games ago.

Great to hear! I have played the first two games as part of another friend's campaign, so I get what you mean about the game potentially getting too complicated for the younger kids. I want to have the option for him to at least participate if he wishes. With zero hidden information, we can kind of "alpha gamer him" a bit when he needs the help.

Love this thread! Get your kids gaming early - they'll surprise you with how fast they can start comprehending, and then when you see the strategy gears start turning, it's a thing of beauty!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grossmutter
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my nine year old lost interest, after the automa won all the time.
It is for a kid just not reasonable that a non existing person wins.

next time I try without the automa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendy B
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this! I have a 5 year old that I have been wondering about as well. Her favorite games include Masmorra, Unearth, Onirim, Arkham Horror LCG (with a lot of help) and Too Many Bones. I saw the first game, and it looks like she can handle it without a problem. I'm just concerned about the later games, which I have not yet seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
strieeyes wrote:
I saw the first game, and it looks like she can handle it without a problem. I'm just concerned about the later games, which I have not yet seen.

I just finished Game 6. It ramps up quite considerably. Part of the problem is simply the sheer number of options that become available. I suppose it could help to give your kid an artificial objective she can work on for a few turns. We gave up with our 6 year old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Buffington
United States
Honey Brook
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
After game 3 my 5 and 7 year olds love it.

One thing that is nice (and the 5 year old actually won game 2 with this) is you can get a very direct strategy - she got a building / built it / opened the crate. She loved the heck out of that.

I'll keep updating as time goes on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D . J .
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How much reading and/or hidden information is there in this game?

My 5-year-old can play games with me like Splendor, Spice Road, and Majesty, but he can't read yet so I haven't been able to introduce him to anything where one has a hidden hand of cards with text. Does Charterstone have any of that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Minis by DJS wrote:
How much reading and/or hidden information is there in this game?

My 5-year-old can play games with me like Splendor, Spice Road, and Majesty, but he can't read yet so I haven't been able to introduce him to anything where one has a hidden hand of cards with text. Does Charterstone have any of that?

There's no hidden information that I can think of and not much text anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Daigle
United States
Goodyear
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We started our campaign last night. Our kids are 5 and 7 and they grasped it incredibly well. Our 5 year old understood her strategy and our son rushed the 2nd game for a victory. My wife and I were both extremely surprised with how well they got it and adapted their own strategies. Through 2 games, I have 1 victory and my son 1. Will continue to update how things go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kravetz
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got our first game played after presents were opened. There were tears shed when my kids(both girls 11&7) couldn't agree on color. Both wanted girls and my wife had already claimed green. So they fought over blue. Too bad red or purple weren't girls. Finally made them roll dice for it. Youngest lost.

After that the game went well. I encouraged the kids to open their crates. This gave them short term goals as they worked on the revealed items.

Ultimately the youngest won. She beat my score by 1 pt. Mostly because we didn't do a good job of manipulating the progress track and she was able to land on each reputation mark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Daigle
United States
Goodyear
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have finished 4 games. After 4 games, the adults have 3 of the 4 victories. Our youngest hasn't quite found the strongest strategies and often goes away from recommendations in order to feel she's doing it all on her own. Its been enjoyable and its great to see the kids eyes light up when they find a strategy or combo that works for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kravetz
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished the second game. This time the 11 yr old won. She was exuberant. She's developing independence and doesn't like to be "helped" in games. Unfortunately this means she frequently loses to her younger sister who still gets "help". I did point out one idea for her based on a building she unlocked and reminded her about a certain objective but otherwise she was on her own.

Both kids are enjoying the game. Our youngest doesn't have a real coherent strategy yet. She likes doing rule 12 and has a fascination with purple rule 16. That said she wasn't too far behind her mom and I.

Overall I think I have a slight lead on the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.