designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Olvenskol wrote:
The rules are clear (RR) and the situation is rare. I agree that it is unintuitive, but I just think of the RR text as giving you a bonus for pulling off such a rare gain in XP.

Sometimes rules are just written for simplicity.

Wouldn't the more intuitive version also be the one that is simpler to understand?

Good argument, though I doubt anyone struggles to understand the wording in the RR. The complaint is that people just don't like it.

No one said it was unclear.

Just not common sense or anything but gamey.

My post was worded quite carefully to convey this and again, expect the error to be corrected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Olvenskol wrote:
The rules are clear (RR) and the situation is rare. I agree that it is unintuitive, but I just think of the RR text as giving you a bonus for pulling off such a rare gain in XP.

Sometimes rules are just written for simplicity.

Wouldn't the more intuitive version also be the one that is simpler to understand?

Good argument, though I doubt anyone struggles to understand the wording in the RR. The complaint is that people just don't like it.

I'm with bleached_lizard on this one: they are both easy to understand, but the RR way just doesn't make "sense".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
It doesn't matter how it's abstracted, it's still a reality of the situation. From Level 1 to Level 3 should always be 7XPs no matter when you do it. Again, I think they'll correct this in an FAQ, but for now, I agree that IS what it says (get it for 6XP in the example cited.)

You're still ignoring the most glaring counter-example. Every time you level up, you could draw one of your starting two skills, and choose to perk instead. Then even going from level, say "15" to "16" would still cost only 3 XP. That doesn't use any contrived super-encounter that gives you 6 XP in one shot. That's just gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Herold
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a semi-official (as in, passed on by someone who asked) ruling on this here: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/264564-correc...

Basically, it's all XP and then you level up for lowering the risk of people forgetting how many XP they still need to apply after leveling up. While I personally feel it goes against the theme and balance I guess I can really argue with the reasoning of making it easier for people. :D It still doesn't make sense to reward people for getting a reward though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the post, but no thanks, I'll just do it like the videogame does. It's not going to happen enough to matter much anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Herold
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me neither. I get why they did it and what they were going for, but I simply don't see a point in inconsistently rewarding someone for getting a bunch of XP, as the XP is the reward itself. Especially when XP is given in such small amounts that losing track of it almost never happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DonHerold wrote:
Me neither. I get why they did it and what they were going for, but I simply don't see a point in inconsistently rewarding someone for getting a bunch of XP, as the XP is the reward itself. Especially when XP is given in such small amounts that losing track of it almost never happens.

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Perrien
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Put here because of this post and the topic.

The effect describe in this topic , gaining 2 levels at once with 4 points at the beginning of the game is really just skipping 1 point because of the XP PEG being on your leftmost letter when getting them. While it may seem big. Jumping an XP in a level happens often depending on what special letters you have and what letter you get per level and if you manage to jump over that spot before you got a letter on a level . I think it can happen anytime you get 3 XP and jump over a space after leveling that you subsequently get that cycle . Starting letters of A L seems most optimum and then if you got the I the C the E then P then S, getting merely 2 XP while being on L , enables someone to skip 4 XP over the game. Really anytime a player "hops" over a letter they get at the end of a level cycle counts as one of these "extra" XP so alot of people get the "effect" 1 or more times during a game depending on when they get multiple XP's jumping over letters, so the idea of getting 2 levels at once, at the beginning , is just the most noticeable of this one extra XP,effect occurring.

On your post As you note A L start letter are most favorable to start the game with where this effect is most likely to happen the most. S the worst. A minor part of why Vault dweller might have an advantage and Super Mutant a disadvantage. And then how XP gained in multiples may jump over letters.

However giving this a little more thought , IMO, the actual best advantageous is even for both. The thing is is to keep you letter groupings together as you draw them. SP can work same as AL , just with SP best to select E as your next letter , same with AL select I, or really any grouping, to have the biggest jump if you get 2+XP on your last letter . The worst would be have S and L to start .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plem R
msg tools
Was hard to me to read all topic (english not my native language).
We discussed that rule in our party. And it seems to us pretty clear.

If u gain so much XP to level up, u need to move peg all that XP and THEN draw all required special tokens.

In another case there might be a situation with 3 XP such as:
0 * * * * I A *
^
That first player draws S when comes to 0, and will stop at I.

0 * * * * I A *
^
The second one draws L when comes to 0, and will stop at A.

It looks unfair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
I can understand the discrepancy. I think the RR is correct mainly because the LTP is written so conversationally. "If the XP peg moves beyond y our last SPECIAL token, you level !" is fun to read but grossly misleading. It even goes on to explain putting the peg back to the left and repeating with additional XP earned. THEN it goes to an all new paragraph and explains how to level up. Going by the sequence the LTP lays it out, I think it can be construed that you assign all XP and then level up equivalent to the number of times you lapped your SPECIAL tokens (I can see it both ways, tbh).

Mechanically, this sequence rewards players who take on bigger, baddger, higher value enemies and succeed. You get more value out of larger chunks of XP than smaller ones. It pays to be reckless. Thematically, if I defeat someone big and bad enough, I learn a LOT and am rewarded accordingly. The SPECIAL tokens represent lessons learned in the wasteland. It wouldn't make sense that I defeat someone, level partially, then continue applying XP as if I knew something before the fight started. The way the RR has it laid out, it makes sense that I could gain multiple levels more easily having fought someone much more powerful than me.

I understand this won't work for everyone, and hopefully we can get an official ruling soon, but this is enough hoop jumping for it to make sense for me. Hopefully it helps someone else.

There are no enemies larger than 3XP, and so you could never level up more than once by killing a single enemy.
There is a quest card that gives everyone a permanent +2xp for killing robots. When you kill a Sentry Bot with that card in play, you do earn 5xp. There may be others in the deck as well.

There are quest/encounter carda that give the radiation ability to monsters. If a level 3 monster with this ability damages the Super Mutant and is killed, then the Super Mutant would gain 6xp, though I could see an argument for that being 2 separate xp gains.

Also, as mentioned, there are Quests that give xp as a reward - some are 4xp. There may be higher xp quests.

Edit: there is also a quest card that says to draw an enemy and it gains +1 level. You could get 6xp from a robot if that quest (assuming there's one for robots, the one I saw was for raiders) is in play with the other mentioned above (or if there's a plus 2xp for raiders permanent effect).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moppelkotze wrote:
femaiden wrote:
goryon wrote:
Seb123123 wrote:
Hey

If I have zero XP progress on the track and I have two SPECIAL tokens (I need 3 XP to level up) and I gain 6XP in one action. Do I then level up twice or do I first level up once, add a new SPECIAL token (now making it 4XP for the next level) and then add the remaining xp to the track (so I am one short of leveling up again)?

I agree that it is option 1, 1st count the XP and then level up the SPECIAL tokens, but
Is this possible at all, I mean gain 6XP?

it’s possible if you are the super mutant character and you kill a radioactive a enemy and take multiple hits.

example : a glowing one level 2, you roll 2 hit but take 2 hits, meaning you take 4 damage + 4 rad damage but also gain 4 xp, then deal the 2 hits, kill it and gain 2 more xp for a total of 6 xp!

you would get even more xp if you took more hits at once. since it is possible to take 6 hits in a single battle, and some special encounter cards will say so,ething like “draw a (skull) enemy, fight it as normal but it also has the radioactive trait” and it is possible to draw a regulator with the ranged trait, you could end up taking 7 total hits equaling 14 damage + 14 rad damage + 14 xp in a single fight and hopefully you wouldn’t already have some rad damage because then it might put you over 16 and permadeth you...

I think you gain radiation damage from enemies equal to their level, regardless of the amount of damage you got (at least one damage).
This is correct, you take radiation damage once from an enemy, equal to its level, if that enemy does any amount of damage to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.