Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Vestal
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

We played Viticulture for the first time last night and had the following situation come up: One player played a visitor that allowed other players to plant vines, and one player's decision depended on if another player planted a vine or not (to determine if the "plant vine" action space would likely still be open, or not, when it came around to his turn).

We didn't know if there was a specific order in which players respond to visitor cards, and didn't see it stated in the rulebook (sorry if we missed it!). Plausible rules we could think of are "turn order starting with first player", "turn order starting with the player after the player who played the visitor card" or "clockwise around the table from the person who played the card".

Thanks in advance for the assistance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Hover Harder
badge
You hoverin'?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not run into this situation, but wake up order makes the most sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
msg tools
badge
It's so FLUFFY!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
For visitor cards, when it gives the option to do something we always go in turn order.

Edit: I think I just mis-read part of your post. It's too early for reading posts still. hah I figured out what you meant about if the vine option was still available. snore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn order is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vestal
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses!

Just to clarify it's in turn order starting with the player who "woke up" first, correct? Not turn order, starting with the player who played the visitor card (e.g. if the person playing the visitor card is third in turn order, the player first in turn order still takes the first response, not the fourth player)?

Parisian: It was that player A had a vine and player B had a vine, and player B had the first turn after the visitor resolved. So player A wanted to know if player B was going to plant the vine based on the visitor card, because if so, he'd know the "plant vine" action space would be open on his turn. It wasn't that we were using workers to take the visitor card action - player A was guessing that if player B didn't plant in response to the visitor card, that player B would take the "plant vine" action space, and he'd either be unable to plant a vine or have to use his grande worker, which would change the value of getting to plant a vine in response to the visitor card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's correct, David: You'll look at the top of the wake-up track and work your way down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
The goal is to win; but we play to have fun - Me <-- I said that.
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds right but weird.

If I play a care that lets everyone plant, and we go in wakeup order, then I (the person who played the card) may not get to plant. Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vestal
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken:
You'd still get to plant - people aren't planting on your field, and aren't using worker spaces to plant in response to the visitor card. I don't think there are any visitor cards where someone taking the response action would block anyone else from taking the action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken: Everyone would get to plant if they have a vine card in hand. I think maybe you're thinking that each player needs to place a worker to act on a visitor card, but that isn't the case. The only player who places a worker is the player who plays the visitor card, and their worker is already on the action space for "play a visitor card."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
The goal is to win; but we play to have fun - Me <-- I said that.
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vestal
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a related aside, the people that played seemed to really enjoy the game. One comment, specifically about the rules, was that this was probably the game that required the fewest rules and interactions questions. The cards and actions were the most clear of any game played to date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
msg tools
badge
It's so FLUFFY!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
HexStarDragon wrote:
Thanks for the responses!

Just to clarify it's in turn order starting with the player who "woke up" first, correct? Not turn order, starting with the player who played the visitor card (e.g. if the person playing the visitor card is third in turn order, the player first in turn order still takes the first response, not the fourth player)?

Parisian: It was that player A had a vine and player B had a vine, and player B had the first turn after the visitor resolved. So player A wanted to know if player B was going to plant the vine based on the visitor card, because if so, he'd know the "plant vine" action space would be open on his turn. It wasn't that we were using workers to take the visitor card action - player A was guessing that if player B didn't plant in response to the visitor card, that player B would take the "plant vine" action space, and he'd either be unable to plant a vine or have to use his grande worker, which would change the value of getting to plant a vine in response to the visitor card.

After I was a bit more awake, I realized that is what you meant. That's why I edited my post so I did not confuse anyone else. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.