Subject: Paradox Worm rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
charles mayell
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I don't understand how this card works. For a start, why would I want to use the warp effect: 'Upgrade 1 enemy common piece. You may then discard your pending being'? What do I get out of it?

I read the further elucidation of it in the 'Additional Notes' and understood it even less: 'Paradox Worm gives you the chance to discard it when you use its warp effect. If you copy it, you may discard your pending being, which may or may not be Paradox Worm'. But I can only have one pending being, so in what circumstances could it not be the Paradox Worm?

Perhaps my failure to understand this card is a feature of a deeper misunderstanding on my part on how the new deck works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Upgrading an enemy piece potentially allows you to flare, since you increase the piece disparity between you and your opponent. You can also use the upgrade to upgrade an enemy piece on a coloured square then use the summon ability to swap that piece with one of your heroic pieces, thus helping you to perform coloured conquest tasks.

Discarding the paradox worm without needing to summon it allows you to discard a card without actually doing a discard action, which is useful when you want access to more powerful cards and the paradox worm isn't doing much for you.

There are cards that allow you to perform warp effects if, for example, paradox worm is in your discard (ziggurat sentinel IIRC). This would allow you to perform the warp effect of the worm even though it's not pending, thus allowing you to discard another pending card that isn't the worm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paradox Worm is a very good card, but you're right that using it to discard itself is often not a good idea. I think there are two main ways to use Paradox Worm's warp effect:

1. The opponent has a common piece on a space where you would like to have YOUR heroic piece. With the warp, upgrade that enemy common and then choose not to discard your pending being. Then summon the Worm for real, and swap your heroic piece for their newly upgraded one.

2. You don't want Paradox Worm in your hand, and you're willing to give the opponent an upgraded piece to get rid of it-- either that's a cost you're willing to pay, or you actively want to upgrade their piece to destroy it for a task. Upgrade their piece, DO choose to discard your pending being, and then go about the rest of your turn. You could accomplish all this with the discard action, but that costs an action.

Then there's the rarer third path:

3. You have Paradox Worm in your discards, a pending being you can't currently summon, and the Ziggurat Sentinel in your hand. You summon the Sentinel, copy Paradox Worm's effect, and choose to discard your pending being (which isn't Paradox Worm).

[Edit: Thoroughly ninja'd.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles mayell
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I am most grateful for the quick replies; I will need to study it a bit more but I certainly get the general idea of it now. Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Also to touch on another point, Etherweave generally has interactions that aren't as straightforward as Imperials or Highlands. For example, when I first started playing TK I though the Sylvians were the weakest race in the original box, but after getting more experienced, I think they are the strongest. I think etherweave are the same: it can initially be difficult to get to grips with them but after a few games their non-destructive effects can be more powerful than a direct attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Dorward
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed re Sylvan--they have the least destructive force but that's not always a bad thing in Tash-Kalar. -- Etherweave is great at totally messing up an opponent's plans--it's often like having a bunch of Hypnotists in your deck! The ability to scramble the board without undue destruction is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.