15 Posts

Elder Sign: Gates of Arkham» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Is it even possible to win by gathering all the Elder Signs? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patryk Zukowski
Poland
flag msg tools
Every time I play we get 2, maybe more, signs. And the last time when the Elder God woke up (one of the easiest) we defeated him without a sweat. Well, two of us died, but we managed to kill it in the last turn of a living player. It was like a walk in the park compared to how hard it was to gather the signs.

So it got me thinking: is it even worth trying to get the Signs if you can just beat the Elder God? Isn't it better to just focus on getting as many items as possible and just kill the thing? Seems like that's the case. Or we're doing something very wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wondered that at one point myself. But winning by Signs is the "nobler" approach, and it is possible in Gates. It requires active management of the adventure cards on offer, a rather different approach than most plays of the base game and/or Unseen Forces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grim1234 wrote:
Every time I play we get 2, maybe more, signs. And the last time when the Elder God woke up (one of the easiest) we defeated him without a sweat. Well, two of us died, but we managed to kill it in the last turn of a living player. It was like a walk in the park compared to how hard it was to gather the signs.

So it got me thinking: is it even worth trying to get the Signs if you can just beat the Elder God? Isn't it better to just focus on getting as many items as possible and just kill the thing? Seems like that's the case. Or we're doing something very wrong.

Me and the wife we managed to win the game with two investigators or four (two each) and going for the Elder Signs.

I don't even considerer going for the final fight when i start the game.

What are your main problems? This is indeed a major step from the usual Elder Sign and na increase in difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Power
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've had similar experiences to OP. Usually swamped in portals and monsters, there seems to be fewer opportunities to get Elder Signs from locations. I have won by defeating the beast in the final battle but somehow this feels like a 'lesser' win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Noch gibt es dies Land nur im Geiste, doch stehen wir wachsam bereit. Am Feuer erklingen die Lieder für eine bessere Zeit.
mbmbmbmbmb
Point is that in Gates the strategy is very different from standard Elder Sign because there's a greater paucity of items (Elder Signs / adventure card ratio works fine) so that players who go fully loaded to pass adventures soon will run out of items. Thus, resource management here becomes the key: investigators will take a few more hits on some adventures, and need to focus their resources on the ES-awarding adventures. Also, there's a plenty of ES available in the OWs, so, you need to play properly on Gates. Finally, this game works with the long game strategy in mind: don't be afraid to use the Streets of Arkham special ability to get rid of some adventures to mantain control of the board. The day you lose control of the board, it's game over.

And yes, this comes with a very steep learning curve, but after you reach the top of that hill, man, what an eyesight you have
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always winning GoA by collecting signs. I don't even remember my last time fighting the boss.

Then again, I consider GoA to be on medium difficulty spectrum, contrary to most of opinions here, stating that it's superhard. Yes, it needs some adjusting, but it's still possible to control the boardstate. Also, I'm always playing with Unseen Forces, and Blessings from it help quite a bit with generating that positive snowball effect (I'm strong, so I'm winning another adventure, which makes me strong again / even stronger).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Possible? Absolutely.

Probable? Not really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gates opening mean OWs, for free (pre-Gates you had to complete Adventures to open OW as reward), which basically just shower you with ES, every single one offers at least one as reward. You'll find far fewer ES rewards on regular Adventures (barring select Reds), so OWs are the one true source of ES, even starting facedown, you at least know there's 100% chance of ES if you beat the OW. Just make sure you're equipped (red+yellow dice, white too if you have UF) and Clues, Spells come in handy too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the same time, letting gates fly out all willy nilly will cause you to be forced to go to the other world adventure to free up the Arkham adventure, which gives you less time to deal with adventures with midnight effects with a gate on them. And no, you can't cheese it by invoking the Streets of Arkham ability (Specifically states that you can only discard an Arkham adventure with no GATE, Seal, or Monster token on them). Also, the fewest amount of seals needed to remove all of the seals on the cards is 4 (2 open gates, 1 gate in pool, 4 seals), and doing so will cause a doom token to be added. It's still a ~4:1 advantage for tackling Outer world before a doom is added (if it is a perfect play where no other doom is added due to failed missions or the Mythos being a jerk), but midnight effects can still ruin plans or nasty mythos draws. And 2 of the new Ancient ones have Gate effects (Yog spawns one every 4 turns and the Spider adds a doom if 3 gates are open at midnight)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lomdr wrote:
which gives you less time to deal with adventures with midnight effects with a gate on them.

Why are you putting gates on cards with nasty At Midnights? Chuck them at ones without or those with manageable At Midnights. Unless you only have cards with nasty At Midnights, which should happen rarely. Complete OW, place seal, clear the Adventure next, no more seal, fresh spot to place the next gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes not enough time if there's a midnight effect impending or a clear effect that spawns a gate. Also taking into effect that dice likes to be jerks from time to time, no matter how many clue or fudgers you throw at them. Rolling Wheaton happens to the best of us and can happen at the most inopportune time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gates is harder than base (or heaven forbid base + UF) or OotD (haven't played OoI), but not significantly more difficult IME. Have seen the AO wake up more, though in fewer amount of games, but on the other hand, have won a Streets mode game with 0 doom tokens on the doom track at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, wasn't trying to play up Gates' being more difficult thing, Just was more saying that if you're playing against Azathoth, then allowing him to wake up is not an opition. I still consider Azzy to be the best to set up for newer players because, outside of changing up the endgame, it's easier to remember what Azzy does compared to the rest, 2nd probably Yog V1.

Off topically: Ice is similar to Deep with the staged adventure cards, but you have to manage resources while having a 'stricter' time limit. You have 28 turns (7 days) before the day tracker reaches the end of the track. If you play in summer, all it does is add 2 doom tokens EVERY Midnight instead of adding storm trackers. If you play in Winter, the game ends in a loss. Also, there's storm markers that will litter up the adventure cards based on effects and while they're cleared easier than Sealed Gates in GOA, you have to reveal all of the effects of the storm markers, making you lose health, sanity, supplies, or add doom to the track...or do absolutely nothing! If you let 4 storm stack on an adventure, then every midnight you add 1 doom for every adventure with 4 tokens on their card (0-6 every midnight). And the only ancient ones you can play against in Alaska are the 3 that come with the set, all of which having doom spots that add storm to the cards. That's Ice in a nutshell for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lomdr wrote:
Yeah, wasn't trying to play up Gates' being more difficult thing, Just was more saying that if you're playing against Azathoth, then allowing him to wake up is not an opition. I still consider Azzy to be the best to set up for newer players because, outside of changing up the endgame, it's easier to remember what Azzy does compared to the rest, 2nd probably Yog V1.

Off topically: Ice is similar to Deep with the staged adventure cards, but you have to manage resources while having a 'stricter' time limit. You have 28 turns (7 days) before the day tracker reaches the end of the track. If you play in summer, all it does is add 2 doom tokens EVERY Midnight instead of adding storm trackers. If you play in Winter, the game ends in a loss. Also, there's storm markers that will litter up the adventure cards based on effects and while they're cleared easier than Sealed Gates in GOA, you have to reveal all of the effects of the storm markers, making you lose health, sanity, supplies, or add doom to the track...or do absolutely nothing! If you let 4 storm stack on an adventure, then every midnight you add 1 doom for every adventure with 4 tokens on their card (0-6 every midnight). And the only ancient ones you can play against in Alaska are the 3 that come with the set, all of which having doom spots that add storm to the cards. That's Ice in a nutshell for you.

An old post but for the benefit of anyone who doesn't have Omens of Ice - the turn limit is not 28 turns, as there is an adventure whose reward lets you go back to day one, effectively giving you quite a few extra turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Noch gibt es dies Land nur im Geiste, doch stehen wir wachsam bereit. Am Feuer erklingen die Lieder für eine bessere Zeit.
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
An old post but for the benefit of anyone who doesn't have Omens of Ice - the turn limit is not 28 turns, as there is an adventure whose reward lets you go back to day one, effectively giving you quite a few extra turns.

Correct, but beating that adventure is not something to rely on, tho, since it's incredibly difficult. I'd rather focus on rewards allowing you to trick the clock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.