Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Rush
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I just supported BGG and got the Ad Block option. However, I can't tell from the list just what each item is. It would be very helpful if someone could make a list with full sentence or more descriptions of each option.

For example, is "ebay section" the section on the main page or on each item's page? I clicked to remove that and I still see the ebay section on the main page. I figure it probably isn't that, because elsewhere the word "module" is used instead of "section", for the "Contests and Promotions module". But that is just one example. Many of them are a bit ambiguous.

I bet a lot of people will have this same question, so it might even be a good answer to pin to the top.

Thanks,
Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am copying this from a post from 5 years ago, so some things may have changed (I'll come back and double check the details later)

chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Sorry, I didn't spot the thread and was just notified of it. Here are your answers!

Block Leaderboard (728x90)
The horizontal banner at the top of every page.

Block Skyscraper (160x600)
The vertical banner on the right-hand side of every page.

Block Rectangle (300x250)
The rectangular ad to the right of the image module on game pages. There is also a rectangle ad on the home page.

Block Item Banner (468x60)
Actually doesn't exist any more, so this is already gone.

Block TextAd
The text ads on game pages, shown below the representative image of the game. They link to retailers that are selling the game.

Block Promo Button (beneath logo on left column)
The small ad below the BGG logo on the top left of the site.

Block eBay Section
The Ebay module on game pages.

Block Support Drive
The support drive banner that happens every December.

Block Custom Logo
We used to allow publishers to "skin" the Ernie logo. This doesn't happen any more.

Block Amazon ads
The Amazon module on game pages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rush
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!! This is exactly what I wanted.

- Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rush
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also 6 more on the list now than in that old post:

Block Amazon Leaderboard and Skyscraper ads for search results

Block Contests and Promotions module

Block iTunes App Store ads

Block BGG Store Widget

Block Buy a Copy section on Game page overview tab

Block Preview

The last one -- Preview -- is one I don't understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bprush wrote:
I bet a lot of people will have this same question, so it might even be a good answer to pin to the top.

Better yet, put this info on the Edit Ad Block page, or (perhaps even better) in a BGG wiki page which is linked to from the Edit Ad Block page!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
bprush wrote:

The last one -- Preview -- is one I don't understand.

I asked about this one because I wasn't certain either.

Previously it was a mini ad for the Spiel Preview list. Currently, it appears to be a mini ad for the gift guide. I presume it is whatever gets filled into that slot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rush
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
bprush wrote:

Better yet, put this info on the Edit Ad Block page, or (perhaps even better) in a BGG wiki page which is linked to from the Edit Ad Block page!

Yes, that.

I would prefer just putting more detailed explanations on the ad block page, because a user must go there to change his preferences, so the explanations will always be available right where a person would need them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
bprush wrote:
I would prefer just putting more detailed explanations on the ad block page, because a user must go there to change his preferences, so the explanations will always be available right where a person would need them.

Plus the admin/programmers would see the need to properly describe any new ad when the update the block page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rush
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have "Block Amazon ads" checked, and I still see the Amazon add on each game page.

I have to check "Block Rectangle" to remove those amazon ads. It seems like those two are connected. It would be great if they were separated. I actually like the Rectangle, as it points out things I want to see like recent kickstarters, but I don't need and never use the Amazon ads on game pages.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rush
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bprush wrote:
I have "Block Amazon ads" checked, and I still see the Amazon add on each game page.

I have to check "Block Rectangle" to remove those amazon ads. It seems like those two are connected. It would be great if they were separated. I actually like the Rectangle, as it points out things I want to see like recent kickstarters, but I don't need and never use the Amazon ads on game pages.

Brian

It also appears that "Skyscraper" puts a long vertical ad to the right of the page as well as multiple little Amazon ads below it. As with the above, I'd like to keep the Skyscraper but not the Amazon ads. Is that possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.