Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Playing Tinkerer in a 2 player game? (With Mindthief) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, starting out first campaign tomorrow! I was initially drawn to the Tinkerer, but have been reading some strategy guides and all of them talk about how he's just not very good in a 2 player game as you don't have the targets to heal or support. With this in mind I was considering switching to Cragheart. Is Tinkerer viable 2p, or is it best to give up my tinkering dreams?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for it. You might have to build more for damage than for healing, but it should be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a Tinkerer together with a Brute, and the duo was viable. However, I didn't particularly enjoy my character and wasn't sad when he retired. And that's not just because he simply didn't shine for 2 players; I know there is at least one other class where I thought "wow, this character REALLY wants more than one ally!", yet I enjoyed playing that class way more, even with just 2 players.

As I still haven't seen a Mindthief in action, I can't comment on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Reynolds
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
We are playing a Cragheart/Tinkerer duo and things seem to work well so far at least 3 scenarios in...

If the purpose of the game is to go in blind with a character choice anyway, I am sure they should all be viable to use !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oehler
msg tools
mb
Tinkerer brings a lot of stuff besides direct support - while we normally played with 3 in our first partial campaign, I did end up duoing with Tinkerer as Cragheart and Circles once each, and it worked okay. I wouldn't say it's the most amazing class for 2 players - both its buffs and AoE attacks tend to do better in larger groups, but it can get the job done. Tinkerer can actually pull some pretty big damage rounds IME, with top and bottom attacks plus a higher level summon and auto turret. I can see Tinkerer working out okay with MT since the vermling can exploit the conditions Tinkerer throws out, they both have a lot of CC so enemies will often be unable to attack.

A lot of people have said that they didn't really enjoy the Tinkerer, but our player liked the class and it always seemed to have some great plays as an ally.

One thing to note about the Tinkerer is that the class tends to be reliant on using loss cards for its XP generation, so playing for high longevity tends to earn very few XP. Kind of like the Spellweaver, Tinkerer is kind of expected to burn cards throughout a mission to get XP and powerful effects. That's part of why it has 12 cards - you can afford to lose a few and still be on a similar clock to the other PCs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua V
United States
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skeletaur wrote:
We are playing a Cragheart/Tinkerer duo and things seem to work well so far at least 3 scenarios in...

If the purpose of the game is to go in blind with a character choice anyway, I am sure they should all be viable to use !

I'm also using this duo and its going okay. I initially played him as a healer primary/damage backup with my Crag as a frontline tank/ damage. I was having trouble killing enemies before they got my crag down. I switched up my strategy to the Crag as a ranged damage and Tink as primary damage & debuff and I'm more successful. The key for me has been to realize its better to stay out of enemy attack range as much as possible and blast enemies down vice trying to get up close and out-heal damage. Part of the fun of this game to me is all about experimenting and finding out what works so don't limit yourself until you try it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I rocked it with Cragheart/Tinkerer combo. I was the Tinkerer, and I really enjoyed him. I went all in on damage, however, and rarely healed anyone. The Tinkerer is all about understanding when to pull out those big Attack cards that are also Lost cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bailey
United States
Warner Robins
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
“I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.” ― Terry Pratchett
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a Tinkerer/Mindthief party when I started my solo campaign. They did fine. Struggled a little with shielded enemies, but had some pretty good synergy. I played my Mindthief as my main damage dealer, and the two them did fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbailey wrote:
I played a Tinkerer/Mindthief party when I started my solo campaign. They did fine. Struggled a little with shielded enemies, but had some pretty good synergy. I played my Mindthief as my main damage dealer, and the two them did fine.

Great to hear! And thanks for the feedback from everyone else. TINKERER ALL THE WAY!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey P
msg tools
mbmb
On the plus side, the mindthief is a partner that can reliably generate excess ice elements for your tinkerer to consume. I say go for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Marney
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As a Mindthief player myself, a healer/support like Tinkerer would be much appreciated. The MT is very fragile and generates some elements she can't use, but does great damage, so it's not as bad as it would be if you were on a team with, say, Tinkerer/Scoundrel or Tinkerer/Spellweaver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
The wife and I play exactly that combo. My MT is specced towards support and her Tink is specced towards damage, so they're generally both damage/support hybrids.

We basically run a constant stream of muddle, stun, push and immobilize combined with moderate healing. The drawback is if one of the players misplays, you're looking at 2-4 cards lost. So you have to be really mindful of mob management.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing the Tinkerer in a currently 2-player party with the Brute. Our 3rd player, with the Spellweaver, unfortunately dropped out a few sessions ago.
I like the Tinkerer very much, but I have to say that he feels way less effective since the Spellweaver is gone, even though I've chosen cards with powerful attacks as upgrades since the start.

I'm not sure if just the Brute and the Tinkerer don't play that well together, or if he's generally not good for small parties.

I'm kind of hoping that we can get a 3rd guest player occasionally.
I don't want to change character before my Tinkerer retires.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:

I'm kind of hoping that we can get a 3rd guest player occasionally.
I don't want to change character before my Tinkerer retires.

You're only an hour away from us, but we've already got too many campaigns running

Have tried finding extra players over BGG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't actually live where my profile indicates, that's my partner -- but it IS where the game lives!
Anyway, we can only play when I come to visit, no regular meeting or anything -- we just play spontaneously when we feel like it. But we have a few friends who are happy to play more complex games, some of them may join occasionally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.