Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Expanding Classes - More cards or New Classes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew DeWitt
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I was pondering over what A Gloomhaven expansion might entail. I asked myself what would I prefer?

More card options for all the classes?
OR
New classes?

While I do think more classes would be great I would love to see more viable builds for all the current classes.

What do you guys thinks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather have new classes than more cards for existing classes. I feel like the classes already have plenty of choice/builds going for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
I'd rather have new classes than more cards for existing classes. I feel like the classes already have plenty of choice/builds going for them.

Yeah, me too. There are so many possibilities already that I would need to play each character 3 times to just explore them.
Also, opening a new envelope and taking a look at a new mini was such sweet anticipation, it was almost the best part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansions will have new characters. Adding more cards to existing classes is not really planned due to spoiler problems and more. Maybe if isaac wants to add a stretchgoal to his next bigbox expansion for more X cards for the old chars, but i highly doubt that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Between those choices, new classes.

But we got so many "stretch goal" classes I feel like 17 is a decent number and wouldn't mind if the expansion is only a few or even zero.

I would like to see new monsters/environments, but even that isn't what I want the most.

What I want is a new game+ or heroic difficulty with the usual tight gloomhaven balance and the following expectations:

1. Characters are level 9

2. Half or more possible enhancement stickers on

3. Mostly the best gear

Would be fun to actually use all that power while still having to be smart about it. Could still reward with money to finish enhancements or maybe even a super expensive +2 sticker to keep a sense of continued improvement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DeWitt
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
If there is no plans for expanding the current class cards I feel like its a pretty big missed opportunity. It's not like Gloomhaven is lacking in class archetypes. I would like for the classes to go deeper not wider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
... because so many people have exhausted the base game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
... because so many people have exhausted the base game

I have not yet exhausted the base game, but I would sign up for an expansion kickstarter right away!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bonneau
United States
Brimfield
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a new area with a new map full of scenarios and characters that tie into that new area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
All of that sounds pretty cool. But if I would have to take a guess, I would say it will be new classes. I would also like to see a higher max lvl for every class with new cards and either new perks or some alternative option to gain something when you have all perks marked, but I am not sure if this will happen.

What would also be quite cool is class specific battle goals, like each class gets a deck of 8-10 specific goals of which you draw one randomly each time you play (could also be combined with the normal battle goals to draw one of them together with one specific and then decide which one to take). In this way you could have very specific goals, that work well with the class you are playing and might even help you to experience the different strengths and playstyles of each class. And it would help solve a little problem of Gloomhaven, which is that every player knows all of the goals after the first 10ish scenarios and from that point on can easily guess which one the other players might have.

However, the most important thing for me to know about the expansion is, if it expands the current game in a way that you can simply go on with your existing characters or if you would have to start a complete new game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Extend the story into a new zone, raise the level cap, and add a few new classes that you have to go back and level through the main campaign. Just like any other mmo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saluk wrote:
Extend the story into a new zone, raise the level cap, and add a few new classes that you have to go back and level through the main campaign. Just like any other mmo
Will we get flying?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danom wrote:
What would also be quite cool is class specific battle goals, like each class gets a deck of 8-10 specific goals of which you draw one randomly each time you play (could also be combined with the normal battle goals to draw one of them together with one specific and then decide which one to take). In this way you could have very specific goals, that work well with the class you are playing and might even help you to experience the different strengths and playstyles of each class. And it would help solve a little problem of Gloomhaven, which is that every player knows all of the goals after the first 10ish scenarios and from that point on can easily guess which one the other players might have.

Or simply have "Class Goal 1", "Class Goal 2", etc. added to the regular battle goal deck - if you draw one of those, cross-reference with your class's specific list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.