Plucky Pilots» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Play with an 8 year old boy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anne G
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I had high hopes for this game. My kid is on the young side as far as games are concerned, he loves monza, he loves flying planes, and what is not to like about finding a treasure. But he did not take to the game at all.

He went first. After a couple hops he got to an island with 4 or points. he said ok, I will stop and take the points. But I suggested he push his luck just a little, he still had 3 dice to help him move forward one.

So he tried and made it forward. From then on he decided to push his luck. By the time he got to the island with 10pts he only had two dice and decided to go for it. And he got blue right off.

That was an exciting game. But he had no interest in playing again. That was it. An exciting one shot! Perhaps having succeeded the first time, he had no incentive to play again and mess up his perfect score. Or perhaps having found the treasure, he saw no point in playing again.

Managing whether to take points or push your luck and all that may require more flexibility than my kiddo has. Maybe not a game for kids who have trouble transitioning between one mode and an other. Also I have not seen my kid use strategy yet, so maybe this is a game for kids who can ponder choices and enjoy that.

Maybe we can try again when he starts to enjoy strategy, ie noticing and taking advantage of choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.