Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Solo Dungeon Crawler/Fantasy Theme with Miniatures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I don't have a game group and my wife and I mostly play quick, easy-to-learn games (Qwirkle, Carcassone) that still require a bit of thinking.

That leaves me quite alone for the games I really want to play.

I'm hoping to bring my video games to life on a board game. I've researched a bit and found Descent: Journeys in the Dark and Dark Souls: The Board Game. They both have:

- Miniatures
- Fighting
- Fantasy theme
- Dungeon Crawl element

The problem is they seem a bit heavy, and to play Journeys I need the companion app, which seems like a lot of work.

Can anyone recommend something that fits the description, minus the complexity? I don't care if it's a dice roll (like Risk). Just want that feeling of fighting a battle with some miniatures and maybe a little story to bring things to life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quaoar 10
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe try Gloomhaven or 7th Continent.

Well rated but admittedly also not without complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
CO
flag msg tools
There are five games in the Dungeons and Dragons Adventure System Board Games

They are lighter than Descent, but I haven't played them. They're quite popular, so you should be able to get good information on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Horton
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm in a similar situation in that I am a solo gamer with your same tastes.

I echo the D&D games suggestion as a good place to start. You can also check out Zombicide: Black Plague - lots of minis there and very manageable for a single player to control up 4+ heros at a time.

Three other suggestions if you want to branch out a bit:
1. Mansions of Madness: Second Edition - the mansion is like a dungeon and the companion app adds a lot of atmosphere.

2. Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients is an old west themed dungeon crawler.

3. A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game has a lot of atmosphere as well and is one of the first games I began playing when I got into this hobby.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante Alligiero
msg tools
quaoar10 wrote:
Maybe try Gloomhaven or 7th Continent.

Well rated but admittedly also not without complexity.

Miniatures+Fighting+Fantasy+DC=7th Continent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
@quaoar10 Gloomhaven looks great, but very complex. Also listed for $289 on Amazon. Any idea where I can get it for cheaper (assuming I can overcome the rules)?

@horton84 Mansions of Madness looks cool. Does the companion app (though atmospheric) make things cumbersome?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the crux you are running into. Video games hide all of the mechanisms of the game in the background leaving you only with the choices. Most board games require you to manage a bigger portion of the mechanisms if the game is going to have substantial decisions. You will have to choose what to sacrifice.

There is what is currently a Print and Play game that might let you have some of what you are wanting. Unbroken . You are the surviving member of an adventuring party that has almost been TPK'd (total party kill). You are then working to get out of the dungeon and get revenge on those who killed your party. Being print and play, it is free but requires a bit of work on components. You won't get the minis, but you won't pay $280 either.

Another option might be Zombicide: Black Plague, but it is scenario only without an ongoing campaign with story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arydis4 wrote:
Here's the crux you are running into. Video games hide all of the mechanisms of the game in the background leaving you only with the choices. Most board games require you to manage a bigger portion of the mechanisms if the game is going to have substantial decisions. You will have to choose what to sacrifice.

There is what is currently a Print and Play game that might let you have some of what you are wanting. Unbroken . You are the surviving member of an adventuring party that has almost been TPK'd (total party kill). You are then working to get out of the dungeon and get revenge on those who killed your party. Being print and play, it is free but requires a bit of work on components. You won't get the minis, but you won't pay $280 either.

Another option might be Zombicide: Black Plague, but it is scenario only without an ongoing campaign with story.

You are right about my crux. I might be trying to solve a an unsolvable problem. I don't mind scenarios so long as it gives me that feeling of adventure. I'll check out Zombicide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Raymond
United States
Rising Sun
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Massive Darkness would be pretty close to what you're asking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew H
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
To help narrow down your search, what video games specifically are you trying to bring "to the table"?

For example, it seems that you're looking for an RPG/Dungeon Crawler, so I would make these suggestions based on video games:

Video Game | Board Game
Baldur's Gate | Descent 2e
Diablo | Massive Darkness
Dark Souls | Dark Souls *
Darkest Dungeon | Arkham Files games (Mansions of Madness, Arkham Horror LCG)
etc.

*If you're a fan of Dark Souls, the board game version does have its shortcomings but does a pretty good job of capturing the feeling of the video games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EdwardOrchard wrote:
To help narrow down your search, what video games specifically are you trying to bring "to the table"?

For example, it seems that you're looking for an RPG/Dungeon Crawler, so I would make these suggestions based on video games:

Video Game | Board Game
Baldur's Gate | Descent 2e
Diablo | Massive Darkness
Dark Souls | Dark Souls *
Darkest Dungeon | Arkham Files games (Mansions of Madness, Arkham Horror LCG)
etc.

*If you're a fan of Dark Souls, the board game version does have its shortcomings but does a pretty good job of capturing the feeling of the video games.

You are spot on already. Love Dark Souls, Diablo, Skyrim, and Zelda.

How steep is Massive Darkness' learning curve?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew H
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
ArtofWar wrote:
You are spot on already. Love Dark Souls, Diablo, Skyrim, and Zelda.

How steep is Massive Darkness' learning curve?

I'd say its on the light-medium side for dungeon crawlers. Quite a bit more accessible than the others.
I would actually say that Dark Souls has the lightest learning curve, but playing through it is a bit of an undertaking (Need a solid group and an entire night, plus there's more downtime). Massive Darkness on the other hand, has a bit more initial setup time but is a bit easier to get into, and plays quicker. Hence the Diablo reference - its the board game equivalent of a hack'n'slasher.

If you're unsure about the learning curve, I'd recommend checking out the rules (can download the rulebook from CMON https://cmon.com/product/massive-darkness/massive-darkness-4...), or checking out some playthroughs on youtube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for the D&D games - I have Temple of Elemental Evil which is very straight forward - essentially a pared down 5e system - you will either love it or hate it, I guess...

Does it have to have minis? Could you go down the Pathfinder Adventure Card System, for instance? eg. Rise of the Runelords
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gnasche wrote:

I recommend them. They have everything the OP wants, including simplicity. The thread should have ended right there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia.

It is a light dungeon crawler with minis (for heroes) and dice (for monsters). It can be played cooperatively or competitively, support 1-5 players. Get the kickstarted edition and you will get fourteen more heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Persson
Denmark
flag msg tools
My favorite board game is Gloomhaven which is by far the best dungeon crawl I have ever played. It is pretty complex though, so it doesn't sound like it fits the bill, but could still be worth checking out.

You wrote about wanting to bring video games to life on the board and in that case I really recommend Mansions of Madness: Second Edition. It also has an app like Descent, but I prefer this one. I would in no way say that the app is "a lot of work" though, but helps speed up the game and keeps it relatively simple since the app tells you what to do in a lot of cases.

The biggest flaw for me with Mansions is that the base game comes with only 4 scenarios, so you will run out very fast if you don't throw at least a bit of extra money on DLCs and an expansion. Still, judging from what you describe you are looking for, I feel this one fits the bill very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
++++ ++++
Greece
flag msg tools
.. is here!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent is great but is more fun with 2+ players. Dark Souls on the other hand, has awesome minis but plays pretty bad 'unless' you houserule the hell out of it!

People here have already recommended you a good number of awesome games! However, if you don't mind waiting for a little while (~3 months), you might want to take a look at Darklight: Memento Mori. It seems exactly like what you're seeking. Can be played in the form of simple one-off quests (short version) or as a campaign if you want some rpg elements in your game as well (extended version).

- Solo thumbsup (without houseruling or apps)
- Miniatures thumbsup (81 in the base game)
- Fighting thumbsup (dice rolling hack'n'slash)
- Fantasy theme thumbsup (diablo-like era)
- Dungeon Crawl element thumbsup (full on!)

And here's more eye candy :
https://www.darkicegames.com/darklight/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darkabolisher wrote:
Descent is great but is more fun with 2+ players. Dark Souls on the other hand, has awesome minis but plays pretty bad 'unless' you houserule the hell out of it!

People here have already recommended you a good number of awesome games! However, if you don't mind waiting for a little while (~3 months), you might want to take a look at Darklight: Memento Mori. It seems exactly like what you're seeking. Can be played in the form of simple one-off quests (short version) or as a campaign if you want some rpg elements in your game as well (extended version).

Oh man this looks fun. Looks like pre-orders are closed. Was this a kickstarter? Do you think it will be available on Amazon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Persson
Denmark
flag msg tools
ArtofWar wrote:
darkabolisher wrote:

Oh man this looks fun. Looks like pre-orders are closed. Was this a kickstarter? Do you think it will be available on Amazon?

It hasn't been released yet. People are still waiting for the kickstarter copies, but it seems like it won't be too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
++++ ++++
Greece
flag msg tools
.. is here!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a kickstarter indeed and we're all still waiting for it's delivery. Most components were produced 2 months ago, so it shouldn't take much longer now!
And yeah, I don't think you'll have much trouble snatching a fresh copy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emilien M
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ArtofWar wrote:
You are right about my crux. I might be trying to solve a an unsolvable problem. I don't mind scenarios so long as it gives me that feeling of adventure. I'll check out Zombicide.

Well there is an easy way for you to find out if the heavier setting of board games might interest you at all.... a lot of games come out in digital format these days, including some of those D&D games many answered were exactly what you were requesting. (tomb of annihilation came out 2 months ago and the steam version barely a week later or so...).

Now do expect to be frustrated by the difficulty of some games... your dexterity won't help here, it's dice rolling and other mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend Sword & Sorcery

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.