Eric Jack
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We came across some questions while playing our first ever game of TI. Nothing earth-shattering, but I figured I'd put it out there to see what the proper/preferred way to do them:

1. When handing out action cards during the status phase (or anything you hand out to multiple players for any reason), do you do it in initiative order? Or does it matter?

2. On our first game, it took two ours to play the first round! Trying to recall who's turn it was and who had passed after a while was a chore (lots of rules reading and other distractions.) So we thought we'd need to "mark" who had passed somehow.
First we tried handing in the strategy cards when we passed. But then we realized we kind of needed them later on in the Status Phase for initiative order still.
Then we decided to take a Command Token from the reserves and placed it on the turned-over Status Card to mark when the player had passed. This seemed to work well, and helped other players see at a glance who had passed.

3. Is the only time you can add new tech cards to your tableau during the Technology Strategy Action? And is the cost for every tech card always 4 resources (plus the previous tech-color requirements)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Pixel Hunter wrote:
We came across some questions while playing our first ever game of TI. Nothing earth-shattering, but I figured I'd put it out there to see what the proper/preferred way to do them:

1. When handing out action cards during the status phase (or anything you hand out to multiple players for any reason), do you do it in initiative order? Or does it matter?

Strictly speaking it should be in initiative order, but practically speaking I don't think it really matters.

Quote:
2. On our first game, it took two ours to play the first round! Trying to recall who's turn it was and who had passed after a while was a chore (lots of rules reading and other distractions.) So we thought we'd need to "mark" who had passed somehow.
First we tried handing in the strategy cards when we passed. But then we realized we kind of needed them later on in the Status Phase for initiative order still.
Then we decided to take a Command Token from the reserves and placed it on the turned-over Status Card to mark when the player had passed. This seemed to work well, and helped other players see at a glance who had passed.

What I did with TI3 is create a bunch of little cards that have the faction name on both sides, with one side saying "ACTIVE" and the other side saying "PASSED". (I also created other cards for once-per-round abilities to mark when they've been used).

Quote:
3. Is the only time you can add new tech cards to your tableau during the Technology Strategy Action? And is the cost for every tech card always 4 resources (plus the previous tech-color requirements)?

It's the main time, but there are a few other ways to get them otherwise, such as via Agendas, and I think there's an Action Card. The Nekro Virus can get them as often as they fight, too.

The cost depends on how you get them. When using Technology Primary, the first one you get is "free", the second one costs 6 resources. For the Secondary, it costs 4 resources. The Nekro Virus ability gives them the techs they "copy" for free. Any other means of getting a technology will tell you what you need to pay (if anything) to get them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Levine
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What Scott said for #1 and #3.

As far as #2, our group uses a whiteboard and dry erase marker. It cost a whopping $1.97 at Walmart. After the strategy phase, we just mark everyone down in order, like:

PK - Initiative 1
Chris - Politics 3
Ben - Construction 4
Jon - Warfare 6
Tim - Technology 7

It only takes a minute to do, and it makes it very easy to see round order. Plus, when someone uses their strategy card, we cross out the strategy name. When someone passes, we cross out their name as well. It's always easy to tell at a glance what's going on with this phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pixel Hunter wrote:

Rule 2.1 just says each player takes an action card - no official order is given. You could resolve that as a set of simultaneous effects and do it in initiative order, starting with the speaker.

Of course, if the deck is well shuffled then the order of the cards is random, and the order in which they are taken doesn't actually matter.

Pixel Hunter wrote:

I use the last option as well, only using a control marker rather than a command token, since command tokens are limited and control markers are not. I've also seen infantry units used.

Another option is to turn the strategy card sideways when you pass.

Pixel Hunter wrote:

Most of the time, you will research new tech using the strategy card. There are a few action and agenda cards, a couple of racial abilities, and at least 1 promissory note that can also gain new tech for you.

As for cost, it will always be stated in the ability used to do the research. The secondary of the tech strategy card costs 1 command token from the strategy pool and 4 resources, but the primary is free for the 1st tech and 6 resources for a 2nd.

Most of the other abilities that let you research tech will not cost any resources, but there are usually other requirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For #2 it only matters if someone will win that turn. If no one has 7 or 8 points just turn them in. If someone has 7 points or might be end of then , turn them in pointed at owner or just push them out towards middle of board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Levine
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crikrunner wrote:
For #2 it only matters if someone will win that turn. If no one has 7 or 8 points just turn them in. If someone has 7 points or might be end of then , turn them in pointed at owner or just push them out towards middle of board.

This isn't the case, actually. Tracking initiative is important throughout the game. If two people try to play action cards to affect the same thing, for example, you resolve them in order of initiative starting with the active player. That's why turning in your SCs isn't done until the very end of the status phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
You're either born a pirate or not! It's in the blood...
mbmbmbmbmb
Pixel Hunter wrote:
On our first game, it took two ours to play the first round! Trying to recall who's turn it was and who had passed after a while was a chore (lots of rules reading and other distractions.) So we thought we'd need to "mark" who had passed somehow.

There are several ways to conquer this problem. As a long time fan of Twilight Imperium I have created a resource for TI3 that is still usable for TI4.

They can be found here in the TI3 Files TI3 Action Phase Turn Indicator

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how I plan to do it in future:

When you take a Strategy card, you replace it with one of your spare components (Fighter/Infantry/Command Token). That way, the Initiative order is in an easily readable place. When you Pass, you take your component back, so it's also easy to know who is left to go.

The only tricky thing is the rare cases when you need initiative order of players that already Passed, but in that case, you revert to checking the Strategy Numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dodo
Germany
Herzogenrath
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I created Cards for every colour.

One side the word "Active" in Playercolour, on the other Side "Pass" in Red with a big "X" beneath it.

Works fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite enjoy some of the more creative solutions, but it really doesn't need to be that complicated. The only thing missing from the box is a way to mark that a player has passed.

There are a couple of ways to help keep things in order.

1st - Always put your strategy card in plain sight, so that it clearly marks your place in the initiative order. If there is enough table space, it should go at the top of your play area, above all of your other components, centered in front of you, right next to the map. The most important thing is to be consistent.

2nd - Turn your strategy card over when you use it, and mark it when you pass. I've found it easy to place a control marker on the card, you can use a command token, or a penny, or a poker chip, or turn the strategy card sideways. Again, consistency is important, so have the table agree on the signal for passing.

3rd - Have someone be in charge of moving the game along. If one person is teaching the game, that person already by calling out the next turn or phase. I've found it useful even with a table of experienced players, especially while we're all learning the ins and outs of the new edition. If nobody at your table is calling the game and you start to feel like things are taking too long, take on the roll. Sometimes you can even throw out a reminder to speed things up, like "7 is almost done, so 8 should get ready" or "2 is just doing production, so 3 can get started if they don't want to wait."

4th - Everyone needs to be paying some attention to the game all the time. Some people are capable of multi-tasking, so they don't have a problem playing on their phone or having random conversations while it isn't their turn. But some people can't, and it's usually pretty obvious who those people are by the 2nd round, if not sooner. It's not boredom or bad behavior, some people just can't focus on a single game for 4+ hours, and that can easily double the length of the game. It may help to give that person a related task to keep them engaged, like calling the turn order (see tip #3 above), or keeping a detailed game record.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Jonard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pixel Hunter wrote:
On our first game, it took two ours to play the first round! Trying to recall who's turn it was and who had passed after a while was a chore (lots of rules reading and other distractions.) So we thought we'd need to "mark" who had passed somehow.

This should help:

Twilight Imperium 4e Turn Tracker & Strategy Card Summary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.