Stephen M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NEXT SESSION : Wednesday December 20, 2017.
GAMES : There are usually 50-100 games to choose from.
WHERE? THE LOUNGE of the Canadian Legion Branch 351 - Centertown, 330 Kent Street (The Montgomery Legion)
WHEN? Gaming starts at 5 pm and goes until 10
COST: FREE!!
PARKING : Kent and Somerset have parking, as well as the nearest side streets which are Gilmour, Maclaren, Cooper and Lisgar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It was a quieter night than normal at the Legion but we still managed to get three tables of gaming in.

We began with James teaching Frank, Sharon, Charles, Wendy and me Steampunk Rally, a card drafting, engine building racing game. In this game each player starts with a famous inventor who gives a persistent power and a basic engine. In each drafting phase players draw one card of each of four different types into their hand, select one and use it or place it and pass the remainder along. Once all four drafting rounds have been complete you can "vent" used dice out of your engine and then the fun (and chaos) begins as you run your engine (generating dice, rolling and placing dice, generating more dice and movement and "health" while moving may cause damage. I started far back until I developed a diverse enough engine then I raced forward, taking lots of damage in one turn while avoiding it in most others. Sharon and I crossed the finish line first to trigger the endgame but I inched ahead of her and extended that lead in the last round to take the victory. This was a fun game. I liked the balance between movement and taking damage and the choice between using cards in your engine or taking the resources they offered. This was particularly important in the last several rounds as resources were more important to me than adding to my contraption that had very few places to add pieces. Thanks for teaching this James.

Next, I taught Frank and Charles Via Nebula, a light train game disguised as construction game. This game has a nice mix of cooperation (where you want to encourage others to use resources you've exploited, jointly up meadows through the fog and to exploit resources you need) and tempo (as you'd like to do things that benefit you while waiting for others to do things that jointly benefit the both of you first). I was able to exploit some key resources early that were quickly used up so I could retrieve my craftsmen. Frank and Charles jumped on building first and completed buildings before me but I was quickly on their heels. I triggered the endgame by building a last, small building and Frank was able to finish the game by building his fifth building. I won but Frank was nipping right at my heels.

Other great games I saw played included Diamonds, China, Honshū, Bunny Kingdom and Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King.

Game group will continue to meet over the holidays. Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.