Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mind thief augment question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Fillmore
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When you play one of the mind thiefs augment cards just for the attack value on the top portion (not the generic attack 2 that is on every card) instead of switching augments do you still get the experience point listed on the card? Or do you only get the experience if you play the card for the augment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Mind their augment question
FiiLlMoRe wrote:
When you play one of the mind theifs augment cards just for the attack value instead of switching augments do you still get the experience point listed on the card? Or do you only get the experience if you play the card for the augment?

If you play a card for the alternative Attack 2 or Move 2, you ignore any other text / abilities / bonuses on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you use it for the generic "Attack 2", no. You treat the rest of the top action as though it was blank.

If there is an attack action within the top portion of the card, then yes. All beneficial actions are optional (like switching augments), but if you do at least 1 of them (such as attacking), you will get the XP. Non-beneficial actions are not optional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JATL
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If only the game came with some sort of resource that explained how to play .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Barnes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the cards in front of me, but I believe most of the Mind Theif's augments have an Attack 1 (melee) attack, plus the augment. If you chose to just perform the Attack 1, and not use the Augment, you would get the applied experience.

You cannot use a card just for the experience, you have to use at least one of the other lines in that section to get that.

As others have said, if you use the generic 2 attack/2 move on any card, you would not get any experience, as that overrides the action that is in that section.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn R.
msg tools
MrGurbic wrote:

If only the internet was a friendly and helpful place, where people were excellent to each other.

I am glad you are having an easy time with the rulebook and immediately pick up on all the little details that arise during gameplay.

I am equally glad you know how to use the search function of the forums to look up questions that have already been asked or find answers by a board game designer.

I do however, have a challenge for you: Become an example. Share your skills and your ability to pick up on the rules with other people, instruct them on where to look and lead by example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delith Malistar
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
mbmbmbmbmb
GenesisLayana wrote:
MrGurbic wrote:

If only the internet was a friendly and helpful place, where people were excellent to each other.

I am glad you are having an easy time with the rulebook and immediately pick up on all the little details that arise during gameplay.

I am equally glad you know how to use the search function of the forums to look up questions that have already been asked or find answers by a board game designer.

I do however, have a challenge for you: Become an example. Share your skills and your ability to pick up on the rules with other people, instruct them on where to look and lead by example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lauridsen
msg tools
mb
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/27565010

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
MattVid wrote:
I don't have the cards in front of me, but I believe most of the Mind Theif's augments have an Attack 1 (melee) attack, plus the augment. If you chose to just perform the Attack 1, and not use the Augment, you would get the applied experience.

You cannot use a card just for the experience, you have to use at least one of the other lines in that section to get that.

As others have said, if you use the generic 2 attack/2 move on any card, you would not get any experience, as that overrides the action that is in that section.

Hope this helps.

you also gain the xp if you only play the augment. See FAQ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Mountford
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FiiLlMoRe wrote:
When you play one of the mind thiefs augment cards just for the attack value on the top portion ...

Can you do this? Does this not still count as "playing the augment," which automatically replaces any augment you have out? I was thinking that I cannot play the top of the card not as an augment (except for the generic attack 2).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.