Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Kissell
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy King of Tokyo, especially with the Power Up expansion, but don't really like it at 5 or 6 players, as the downtime can get to be long for this type of game. I'm looking for alternatives that play better with higher player counts.

Specifically, I like the special abilities you get/gain during the game, the easy rules teach, and teh 30-45 minute game play of KoT. It is also nice that it has an appealing theme, and has good player interaction.

I'm not necessarily looking for a game with similar mechanisms. Just a game with some of these features I could pull out with 5-6 players. Also note I am not a fan of the 10-15 minute microgame. I'm looking for something that lasts around 45 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first couple of games that come to mind are

7 Wonders - your city has variable resources/development goals and you have multiple routes to victory

Formula D - if you use the personalised drivers, they all have different powers/car specs. The only thing would be that the playing time can stretch out a little with higher numbers of players. The game is pretty fast in turnaround time, just depends on the length of the circuit used...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza goes to 7 players and every player can trade with the current player so there is little down time.

Colt Express goes to 6 players and has little downtime because each players turn is playing or revealing a single card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
invervegas wrote:
The first couple of games that come to mind are

7 Wonders - your city has variable resources/development goals and you have multiple routes to victory

Formula D - if you use the personalised drivers, they all have different powers/car specs. The only thing would be that the playing time can stretch out a little with higher numbers of players. The game is pretty fast in turnaround time, just depends on the length of the circuit used...

These are at the top of my recommendation as well. Formula D has you taking turns much like King of Tokyo, but if people think even a little about their next turn, you can make it quite fast. I played a really great 10 player game of Formula D where people were able to talk about whatever (game, catching up, stuff like that) but pause for the 10 seconds it takes to take your turn. If you know you are going to shift down, your turn can be "shift down, roll that die, move car forward reacting as you go, end turn."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john greeb
United States
flag msg tools
mb

Jamaica has simultaneous action selection from only 3 cards so not too much AP & downtime.

The expansion Jamaica: The Crew provides the opportunity to have crew members with special powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions. I've played all of them unfortunately, so nothing new. The one time I played Formula D with 6 players, it was sooooooo slow. Took a few hours to finish the race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
CO
flag msg tools
Possibly Citadels or Libertalia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BANG! The Dice Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gnasche wrote:
Possibly Citadels or Libertalia.

Citadels really drags at higher player counts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludvig Stigsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enjoy Between Two Cities

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marquis could fit your requirements, but I think it is out of print (and you would need two copies of the game to play with 5 or 6)

Rattus with Rattus: Africanuscan be played with 6 as well.

Both games don't come with different starting abilities, but both offer different roles in a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Schenectady
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultimate Warriorz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.