Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
René Buch
Germany
Osburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geeks,

how can I, thematically, explain to another person the rule that player James still gets his boni or mali (from lets say Sunday) if player Vanessa starts a performance on lets say Friday?!
My friend is criticizing that this does not make sense and I do admit.

Example:
Thursday: X
Friday: Vanessas Magician in theatre
Saturday: X
Sunday: James' manager behind the curtain

Trick sheet: 1 Trick from James, 2 from Vanessa

For my understanding the presentation is made on day x and therefore you get boni and mali. I understand that you get less money on a thursday when you perform (real life), but why would player Y get less money from a presentation that was originally made on Friday, only because he works behind the curtain on another day? Ähm!?!
Please help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trickerion may be a hybrid game, but it's a euro at heart. The explanation for it is "it plays better that way".

Hopefully, someone more thematically inclined than me might be able to come up with some thematic explanation for it, but if not, you'll simply have to decide whether you want to play the better balanced and mechanically sounder game, or change the rules for the sake of theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Patton
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
How about because the Sunday headliner is a big deal, so a special matinee performance on another day brings in more money. Whereas a mere Thursday billed performer on other days, the reverse happens.

Works for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bettan
Canada
Cote St Luc
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jman wrote:
How about because the Sunday headliner is a big deal, so a special matinee performance on another day brings in more money. Whereas a mere Thursday billed performer on other days, the reverse happens.

Works for me.

That's pretty much the same way we see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Buch
Germany
Osburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jman wrote:

Works for me.

Sorry but I did not understand it... Could you describe it in easier words or something? modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con Sequence
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jman wrote:

Works for me.

Actually that‘s also how I see (saw) it.

But what about the “special“ case René asked for when you‘re just working backstage on Thursday/Sunday and not performing. Why does the bonus apply anyway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Buch
Germany
Osburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seqcon wrote:
jman wrote:

Works for me.

But what about the “special“ case René asked for when you‘re just working backstage on Thursday/Sunday and not performing. Why does the bonus apply anyway?

Maybe that's why I did not understand your post, because it was not the answer to my question. lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rekath16 wrote:
seqcon wrote:
jman wrote:

Works for me.

Maybe that's why I did not understand your post, because it was not the answer to my question. lol

I'd suggest the following:

When your engineer goes to the theatre during the week, claiming a day, they tell the theatre manager "Oh yes, the Great Optico will be performing on Sunday!" The engineer goes about setting up your tricks, and the theatre manager goes "ooh, lovely, I better put out the fliers declaring that the Great Optico is our headline Sunday performer".

Then on Thursday through Saturday your tricks appearing during other performances still have the excitement because it's the grand Sunday performer doing previews! How exciting!

...and then on Sunday the theatre manager has to announce that due to Unforseen Circumstances (the Great Optico spent the entire week in the tavern 'on a recruitment drive') the Sunday show has had to be cancelled. But by that point the money and fame's already been claimed, and no-one's going to hold Unforseen Circumstances against the performer, right?

Meanwhile, a Thursday performance that gets 'cancelled' - well, not only was that magician going to be headlining the boring preview night, but they didn't even show up! Clearly they're not worth the full fame and fortune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con Sequence
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
rekath16 wrote:
seqcon wrote:
jman wrote:

Works for me.

I'd suggest the following:

When your engineer goes to the theatre during the week, claiming a day, they tell the theatre manager "Oh yes, the Great Optico will be performing on Sunday!" The engineer goes about setting up your tricks, and the theatre manager goes "ooh, lovely, I better put out the fliers declaring that the Great Optico is our headline Sunday performer".

Then on Thursday through Saturday your tricks appearing during other performances still have the excitement because it's the grand Sunday performer doing previews! How exciting!

...and then on Sunday the theatre manager has to announce that due to Unforseen Circumstances (the Great Optico spent the entire week in the tavern 'on a recruitment drive') the Sunday show has had to be cancelled. But by that point the money and fame's already been claimed, and no-one's going to hold Unforseen Circumstances against the performer, right?

Meanwhile, a Thursday performance that gets 'cancelled' - well, not only was that magician going to be headlining the boring preview night, but they didn't even show up! Clearly they're not worth the full fame and fortune.

F**** brilliant. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.