Jaipur» Forums » General

Subject: How to identify Jaipur Knock offs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathaniel Aharon
Israel
flag msg tools
Hiya folks,

Since Jaipur is currently out of stock on most websites I purchase games from, I checked on ebay whether there's a decent price for it. I already had a couple of bad experiences ordering games from Asia via ebay. I will not make the mistake of buying games from that area again. However, there's this ebay retailer selling a new, sealed copy for 14.49 GBP/$19.35. That's a good price, and not too insanely cheap to make me too suspicious. However, I am still pretty suspicious, and I wonder if anyone can tell me whether there's a way to know (not foolproof, obviously) whether a copy is genuine or not. I'd rather wait for the new edition to come out (I've learned from Asmodee that it should be shipped to distributes within 4-6 weeks or so) so I can buy it from a seller I know is legit, if I have too many doubts.

What do you think?
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

This is what the seller answered me when I asked about this:
"Well it is certainly sealed from our German supplier and is as shown on th picture.
please do not order if you have any doubts "

I also have a friend willing to sell me a relatively new copy of his for $28.5, but if I pay that price, I rather it be new.

I'd appreciate any advice (:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Publisher logo suspiciously absent.

Not 100% sure if all legit copies have the GameWorks logo on the corner, but looking at the BGG gallery it would seem so. Looks like that Ebay one may be a fake, but also may be just a stock picture he found. You can ask for better close up pictures of the actual box, specially from the back where the publisher information and small print is often blurred or edited out in the bottleg copies.

But beware, I've also seen some chinese copies with the logo in place.

Discard and run away if the back text is actually in Chinese.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Chamberlain
England
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmb
There are a lot of copied games out there at present and I've received a few myself via Amazon. Amazon are pretty good with returns of counterfeit copies. Generally speaking it is quite difficult to spot a fake online as all they need is an original picture of a legitimate copy. The only way to tell is actually have it and check the quality. You would know instantly. I've had fake copies of Days of Wonder games in the past. My advice is simple, if you doubt it, leave it. You obviously have suspicions so don't risk it. Also, if it seems too good to be true, it usually is, leave it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In this case, the eBay item claims to be shipping from Germany, and comes with the usual eBay guarantees.

You might contact the seller with your specific question (e.g., is it a genuine printing by original publisher). A positive answer may confirm your ability to get satisfaction from eBay should it not turn out as desired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mearendil wrote:
Not 100% sure if all legit copies have the GameWorks logo on the corner, but looking at the BGG gallery it would seem so.

Jaipur (English/French/German first edition):

Not a logo in the corner (and no language flag), but the company name on the bottom. Like the image on ebay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Stevenson
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My knockoff has a number of differences:

1. No tray insert
2. Box is the wrong dimensions
3. Box art looks a little pixelated
4. Game shipped from China (but says "Made in Germany" on it)
5. Instructions were only in Chinese

I wish I had a legit game just for the tray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.