Hide
10 Posts

Massive Darkness» Forums » General

Subject: Essential Expansions for MD??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Nicholas
msg tools
So I just got this game yesterday and am really enjoying it! Was looking for opinions on what expansions are considered essential or at least the better of the bunch? TIA 😁

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmb
I would first get the Ratlings and Reptisaurians that both add different mobs and one additional roaming monster.

The hero boxes each add three heroes, one character class sheet pad (which can be downloaded from the CMON site already), and a roaming monster. All are good.

Once you get through the scenarios and want to play some more, then get the A Quest of Crystal & Lava expansion for some more to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Vivian
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If "expansion" means more quests then there are none. What Massive Darkness has are what I'd call add-ons. The extra figures are added to the existing set and just adds variety to the core quests. The labels on the boxes implies new scenarios but it is a half baked idea, the customer has to create the new adventures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmb
scurvy duck wrote:
If "expansion" means more quests then there are none. What Massive Darkness has are what I'd call add-ons. The extra figures are added to the existing set and just adds variety to the core quests. The labels on the boxes implies new scenarios but it is a half baked idea, the customer has to create the new adventures.

You have a limited definition of expansion and are also wrong. A Quest of Crystal & Lava has more quests and tiles. It fails by not integrating any of the original tiles into the quests, but it does have a new batch of quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scurvy duck wrote:
If "expansion" means more quests then there are none.

Wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Nicholas
msg tools
Thx Bobby! Just curious do any of the expansions include additional treasure cards? Also in your opinion do the enemy expansions help increase the difficulty of the game or just the diversity? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No additional treasure cards in any expansions. Expansions mostly help with enemy diversity, although the Ratlings/Reptisaurians add more ranged mobs which can make things slightly more challenging. Don't expect it to change the game significantly, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmb
What Doctor Bandage said.

I believe the character expansions come with an artifact or two, don't they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you're right. I'd forgotten about those. You get one artifact in each hero box that's matched with the name on the tin. For example, the Sorcerer expansion comes with the Sorcerer's artifact.

Artifact cards normally only show up in roughly half the quests though, so it's perhaps not an efficient use of your money if you're looking to expand the treasure cards. There is one level 5 card in the deck that will let you draw an artifact regardless of the quest, but it's pretty rare to draw one specific card during a game.

The only other way to get a new non-artifact treasure card was through a ManVsMeeple crowdfunding drive, although it's more of a promotional item than an expansion per se. It's a Level 2 treasure card called the Commander's Horn. To my knowledge, this is now only available second-hand.

More to OP's original question, I wouldn't consider any of MD's retail expansions essential. They mostly add some variety. Pick them up as you get tired of seeing the same enemies or using the same heroes over and over.

If you already own Zombicide Black Plague or plan to buy Zombicide Green Horde, then you might want to consider finding a reasonably priced (original cost was $8) crossover pack for the appropriate game on the second-hand market (BGGMarket, eBay, etc.). They add a lot of content to MD. If you don't own either Zombicide and have no plans to, then don't worry about it. Buying a whole new game and a myriad of it's expansions isn't exactly cost effective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hallstrom
United States
Jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would second getting the Ratlings and Reptisaurians first. The mob variability was the most noticeable and felt the most different when we added those boxes into our rotation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.