Subject: Brute XP engine? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the Brute class just a generally more prodictive XP engine than other classes? We've played 6 scenarios now(4W-2L) and I am at 128 while my ally the tinker is hanging on 93. Even the other classes we've had popping in and out with visiting players haven't come up to me per-scenario, with the one time exception of a cragheart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Spellweaver and a couple of locked classes can easily manage 20+ exp and some cases even 30+ Exp per dungeon, the brute is more in the middle for exp gain.

But it is always depedent on the pilot of the character. Our first mindthief player only managed on average 8-12 exp, while our secondary mindthief player managed easily over 20 exp every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
You got it the other way around; the Tinkerer gains experience quite a bit slower than other classes. Many of its EXP gain is tied to loss cards, so you can't really reuse them effectively, and you're incentivized to hold them for the right moment. The Brute, on the other hand, is fairly regular, with plenty of 1 EXP cards, and most of his losses also grant EXP.

As for visiting players, if they're not regularly playing the game they won't necessarily know how to maximize hand management or Experience gain, so it makes sense they fall behind there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spellweaver can get quite a bit as well, as long as elements are popping up regularly and there are lots of targets to attack.

But yeah, my tinkerer is certainly lacking in XP as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joou wrote:
You got it the other way around; the Tinkerer gains experience quite a bit slower than other classes. Many of its EXP gain is tied to loss cards, so you can't really reuse them effectively, and you're incentivized to hold them for the right moment. The Brute, on the other hand, is fairly regular, with plenty of 1 EXP cards, and most of his losses also grant EXP.

As for visiting players, if they're not regularly playing the game they won't necessarily know how to maximize hand management or Experience gain, so it makes sense they fall behind there.

Thanks for this explanation, with our small sample the error is an easy one to make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Shadrach wrote:
Thanks for this explanation, with our small sample the error is an easy one to make.

My recommendation is to be a bit more liberal with the use of loss cards as Tinkerer. Yes, generally speaking losing cards early on is suboptimal but the Tinkerer's hand size of 12 allows him to use more loss cards than almost any other class, save Spellweaver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Schofield
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our Tinkerer actually gains a lot of XP, in part thanks to the fact that he pulls out Potent Potables every game - but we're 4 players, so it makes a lot of sense to do that. Plus with 4P there are more bad guys on the board so his AOE that "gains XP for each target" usually gives him a lot of bang for the buck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IvanAtom the Humble
Canada
Mississauga
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
scooph81 wrote:
... Plus with 4P there are more bad guys on the board so his AOE that "gains XP for each target" usually gives him a lot of bang for the buck.

This. Playing Tinkerer as well, was low on XP after few first missions. You NEED to play aggressively. There is no other way around it. It's not often stars align that way, that AOE will hit all squares. So if it does - do it.

What I hate about that concept, is that it reduce your support abilities. Heal or go for XP and use AOE? Hit the enemy with poison, let ally reuse discarded cards? Nope. XP.

But this is part of fun. Your allies are not your friends, they just mercs like you are. So... sorry...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ivanatom wrote:
scooph81 wrote:
... Plus with 4P there are more bad guys on the board so his AOE that "gains XP for each target" usually gives him a lot of bang for the buck.

This. Playing Tinkerer as well, was low on XP after few first missions. You NEED to play aggressively. There is no other way around it. It's not often stars align that way, that AOE will hit all squares. So if it does - do it.

What I hate about that concept, is that it reduce your support abilities. Heal or go for XP and use AOE? Hit the enemy with poison, let ally reuse discarded cards? Nope. XP.

But this is part of fun. Your allies are not your friends, they just mercs like you are. So... sorry...

Or.. you know... be supportive and level a little slower. The game works with disparate levels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IvanAtom the Humble
Canada
Mississauga
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sure, you can do that. But one of the best aspects of a game, is leveling up and modifying your hero. It`s totally up to you to ignore that part of a game, but this is not my choice for sure.

It does not mean that you have to ignore supporting power of Tinkerer. No, healing, buffing and recovering cards - hes job for sure. But if you plan to keep-up with your team, you need to adopt aggressive approach.

Scenario personal goals (sorry don`t recall it`s proper name) another way to remind us - players are mercs after all. They have their interests.

On one of our game, Brute all of a sadden just left us (mindthief and tinkerer) and rush forward. It`s all end well, but that was Brutal. As appears, he should be the one opening all doors in scenario. Well, that day I learn the way how to play properly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ivanatom wrote:
Sure, you can do that. But one of the best aspects of a game, is leveling up and modifying your hero. It`s totally up to you to ignore that part of a game, but this is not my choice for sure.

It does not mean that you have to ignore supporting power of Tinkerer. No, healing, buffing and recovering cards - hes job for sure. But if you plan to keep-up with your team, you need to adopt aggressive approach.

Scenario personal goals (sorry don`t recall it`s proper name) another way to remind us - players are mercs after all. They have their interests.

On one of our game, Brute all of a sadden just left us (mindthief and tinkerer) and rush forward. It`s all end well, but that was Brutal. As appears, he should be the one opening all doors in scenario. Well, that day I learn the way how to play properly

I think it is down to the party you want to be. For us battlegoals are a nice perk, but we sac them for the main goal if they get in the way. Ours is a more coolerative supportive party theme. Thst isn't to say that your way is invalid, the barely-related mercs angle works too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
I think it is down to the party you want to be. For us battlegoals are a nice perk, but we sac them for the main goal if they get in the way.

So, the poster you were replying to didn't disagree with this. He stated that the Battle Goals remind us that each character is a mercenary, so (and here I'm inferring) a less supportive/reliant build that gains more xp is also very valid.

You can play the Tinkerer aggressively, gain more XP, and still accomplish both your Battle Goals and scenario victory. I personally find this more fun, as when the Tinkerer heals me it's a boon, and not an expectation-- this keeps me on my toes (and I like him melting and controlling bad guys).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaintHax wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
I think it is down to the party you want to be. For us battlegoals are a nice perk, but we sac them for the main goal if they get in the way.

So, the poster you were replying to didn't disagree with this. He stated that the Battle Goals remind us that each character is a mercenary, so (and here I'm inferring) a less supportive/reliant build that gains more xp is also very valid.

You can play the Tinkerer aggressively, gain more XP, and still accomplish both your Battle Goals and scenario victory. I personally find this more fun, as when the Tinkerer heals me it's a boon, and not an expectation-- this keeps me on my toes (and I like him melting and controlling bad guys).

It's hardly worth argu8ng but I'm in line so... 'learned how to play properly' and 'can ignore those parts of the game' tejd to indicate right/wrong aue judgements. I was trying to suggest a middle ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IvanAtom the Humble
Canada
Mississauga
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lets just enjoy Gloom!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ivanatom wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
"'learned how to play properly' and 'can ignore those parts of the game' tejd to indicate right/wrong aue judgements. I was trying to suggest a middle ground.

Sorry if my comment sounds judgmental, my fault.

Playing Tinkerer is so much fun, exactly because it can be played in many ways. Unfortunately if we talking about XP (and that is what we talking about), it comes with the price. 3 AOE Cards gives us 8 XP if we lucky with enemy layout. For 4 players party - this is easier to expect, so you can save those cards for future.

In my case, there are 3 players, and it is not that often, when you could have perfect enemy layout. So yes, sometimes I tend to chose damage over support.

Yet again - you can play your character as you wish, but being late on upgrade could be bad for your party. As example, "Stamina Booster". With this your allies would have few extra turns each scenario. But to get it, you need XP....

Yet again - this is my way of playing and it could be nahhh for you.

Coolness, then we're both in mutual agreement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.