Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Gartner
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
My group and I played one game of Fallout and it was great, at least except for the end. We played 2 hrs and then the game just ended because one player had 3 security agenda cards and gained 9 points in one move.

I've been reading some variants people have tried, but I really want to get the agenda cards out of the game (minus enemy movement and advancing power tracks). Here is my concept idea I plan on trying to work out.

Keep the agenda deck as is but do not deal any out to players. Simply destroy x at the beginning of the game (x = number of players). Each player can start with 1 or 0 newly coined Victory Points (VP). Anytime a quest or card awards a player with an agenda card, simply destroy a card from the agenda deck and award a player 1 VP.

Now I want to add some unique incentives players can work towards besides just acquiring agenda cards (VPs). I am thinking create a handful of objectives players can achieve that also award VPs. I'm thinking goals like: Max your character level (acquire all SPECIAL tokens), Recruit 3 companions during your journey (not at one time but throughout the game), Explore the most tiles (a journeyman type goal), Kill 10 enemies, etc. These challenges can be achieved by all or awarded to the first to do so. Each challenge can also be worth more than 1 VP depending on difficulty.

I'm also trying to give people a reason to help factions achieve their goals as well. Anytime you advance the power token of a faction, while being aligned with them, you get 1 VP. So if you advance it 2 spots you get 2 VP.

I think this will need some rules to prevent people from flip flopping when convenient to 'cheat' the system. So I'm thinking when you devote yourself to a faction, you cannot gain VPs from advancing their power token this turn. It sort of makes you prove loyalty over a round to get benefits from helping them.

So we can earn VPs from completing quests/activities that award agenda cards, from completing public challenges, and from advancing the power token of factions we align with. The amount of VPs needed to win will probably need to change, but it'll take some testing to iron that out.

I will try and get some solo testing done this weekend and detail my findings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Day
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaining Agenda cards is one of the primary quest-end rewards so these should be the primary way players get VP. Personally, I just let the players pick four Agenda cards before the game starts and each Agenda card the players gain during play just activates one from their list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Close
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Would a draft mechanic maybe work?

Like in a 4 player game each player gets 5 cards.
Draft 4 and put 1 back in the box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
StephanClose wrote:
Would a draft mechanic maybe work?

Like in a 4 player game each player gets 5 cards.
Draft 4 and put 1 back in the box?

The agenda deck is also used to manage the AI, and the number of cards in the deck affects the maximum length of the game (as each reshuffle pushes the factions up the track) - drafting 4 per player would significantly shorten the game (as the deck normally begins short 1 card / player, but this would leave it without 4 cards / player).

Also, drafting agenda cards (even if done with a separate set) would likely exacerbate the core scoring problem: that faction agendas are very swingy. Players best option would be to draft "all in" into one faction, then push it at all costs. I would expect this would lead to a worse gameplay experience as everything else in the game (side quests and exploration) would take a back seat to winning. That's already true to some extent, but at least as it is now you need to do some questing to get more agenda cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin McCane
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Bgartz29 wrote:

I think this will need some rules to prevent people from flip flopping when convenient to 'cheat' the system. So I'm thinking when you devote yourself to a faction, you cannot gain VPs from advancing their power token this turn. It sort of makes you prove loyalty over a round to get benefits from helping them.

You could also just make the rule similar to the video game where once when you align with a faction you no longer can align with the other faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Leacy
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Bgartz29 wrote:

I'm also trying to give people a reason to help factions achieve their goals as well. Anytime you advance the power token of a faction, while being aligned with them, you get 1 VP. So if you advance it 2 spots you get 2 VP.

Isn't this just what the agenda cards do anyway?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhys Corlett
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
I brought this without thinking it through
badge
I don't have to explain my art to you
mbmbmbmbmb
I think just giving a point to someone who advances a faction they're alligned to would be fine - flip flopping just means there's incentive to explore either path of the main quest.

If you want to 'lock' people in, we added a rule that if you kill an agent you become 'locked' to the opposate faction. The only way to switch loyalty after that is to kill an agent of your current faction, thereby locking you to the opposate faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.