Subject: Recommendations for someone new to board games. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walker Stippel
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
A little background. I'm a middle aged male and have been playing video games since I can remember. I went to a friend's house with the Mrs and we played Dead of Winter: The Long Night. I liked it but it wasn't my draw.

Me and the Mrs bought Pandemic and that's what had drawn me in. My next game was Pandemic: Reign of Cthulu. I was hooked after that. Then came Zombicide Black Plague, Tiny Epic Galaxies and it's expansion Beyond the Black.

I stick with mostly single player games because my wife enjoys it but she wasn't drawn to it. I didn't grow up playing games and don't have a close group of friends who play so I want to stick with a solo player aspect but capable of playing with others.

I love Black Plague and I play galaxies almost daily. I really like the adventure/exploration of each of those. I know Gloomhaven will be mentioned but I don't want to drop 280 bones on a game.

I was looking towards Scythe or Mage Knight, they're both a little intimidating though because I'm new to this and it had taken me a couple play through's just to learn Black Plague.

Any recomandations to scratch this itch would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.T. Sloan
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that you might enjoy Spirit Island.

It's a co-op, but it can be played solo. Lots of re-playability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Pandemic, there are other Matt Leacock designs that may interest you:

Pandemic Iberia
Pandemic Legacy Season One and Season Two
Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert
Roll Through The Ages: The Bronze Age
Pandemic In The Lab - has an 'official' solo variant
Pandemic: The Cure

I am mainly playing solo as well - recent games I have enjoyed in this vein (I have only been playing for about a year):

Lord of the Rings The Card Game - although this took me a couple of goes to get the hang of, and it can be TOUGH!
Burgle Bros
Friday - although you may need to learn a bit more about deck building before going for this, in which case playing a co-operative deck builder as a solo variant works well eg. Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle or Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nemo's War (second edition) has an expansion and reprint on Kickstarter right now.

It has been a popular solo game for a long time.

Also, look at Coffee Roaster in the Geekstore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Burgle Bros. - Ocean's 11 - the game, or possibly Mission: Impossible or some other heist.

+1 Friday - Deckbuilding advice: thinning your deck is a good thing; even if it seems to hurt you now, it'll be worth it later.

+1 Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age - If/When it starts to seem always the same, print out the scoreboard and rules from Roll Through the Ages: The Late Bronze Age. Those change a good game into a great game.

Burgle Bros. and Roll Through the Age can accommodate more than one player, if/when that possibility presents itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite solo games is Star Trek: Frontiers which is a re-theme of Mage Knight, but I think you're right in that you should hold off a little while on that one. As suggested by others, you could start with Friday to familiarize yourself with deck building.

I also enjoy the solo mode for Tiny Epic Western- since you like Galaxies it could be a good fit.

And welcome to BGG. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john greeb
United States
flag msg tools
mb

Similar to Zombicide: Space Cadets: Away Missions

Forbidden Desert or Flash Point: Fire Rescue : More random than Pandemic. However, I've found that I dislike the card management part of Pandemic.

Cthulhu-themed solo-able co-ops in increasing complexity:
Elder Sign (but add Elder Sign: Gates of Arkham once you're comfortable with it)
Mansions of Madness: Second Edition
Eldritch Horror

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker Stippel
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. You have given me a lot to consider. I'm really excited for my next delve into a Good board game.

Are there any thoughts on the Dungeons and Dragons adventure series? Would that be something to consider?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Welcome to BGG.

There is a BGG guild called 1PG devoted to solo play. They recently completed their annual top 100 solo games. For the most part, they can also be played NOT solo. Have a look, it may give you some ideas. Note that the countdown numbering can be confusing to the first time viewer:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/233582/2017-peoples-choic...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wstippel wrote:
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. You have given me a lot to consider. I'm really excited for my next delve into a Good board game.

Are there any thoughts on the Dungeons and Dragons adventure series? Would that be something to consider?

I have played through the first level of Temple of Elemental Evil and liked it a lot - I was playing it with my daughter and I have been holding out for her to come back and play it with me again, although it may just be me on my own!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker Stippel
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
johnb4bgg wrote:
Welcome to BGG.

There is a BGG guild called 1PG devoted to solo play. They recently completed their annual top 100 solo games. For the most part, they can also be played NOT solo. Have a look, it may give you some ideas. Note that the countdown numbering can be confusing to the first time viewer:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/233582/2017-peoples-choic...

I've looked at the top 100 of 16' and 17' the only issue i had with that is that there were a lot of repeats as well as games that have jumped from the 300's to being in the top 30.

I was hoping to get those games that fell through the cracks, or weren't mentioned in the top 100 list. I have definitely got some ideas from there though such as Scythe and Mage Knight.

There have been some solid recommendations so far. I've looked everyone of them up and compared them on amazon and BGG. A lot of which i didn't see on the top 100 lists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I foyu are talking about Dungeons & Dragons the Role Playing Game, then no it would not be suitable.

The concept there is for a group of players. One takes on the role of Dungeon Master and controls the play of the others. The others take on various roles according to their whim, and journey through a game space either published or dreamed up by the DM.

There have been many attempts to automate the DM role, but I suspect none of them work as well as a real person as a person can subtly tailor the situation to the players. (It's been about 30 years since I last played D&D so I could well be wrong here)

There are also quite a few board games based on the concept. Some work well. Some don't. But I have never played any so cannot comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.