Bob Knapp
United States
Crystal Lake
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I have had Decent 2nd edition for a while but never was able to play it. I recently learned about the app (I know, I've been under a rock) and started to play it. I came across a shadow dragon and it told me to do the fire breath.

I think I understand it, but I want to just clarify the attack. When I first looked at the card I saw the attack of the dragon but I couldn't see what kind of attack I would roll for the breath. Would it be correct to assume that the fire breath surge is just applying the normal dragon attack roll over 4 spaces in a line? (I've seen plenty of forum posts asking about the path of the breath, so I don't need to address that.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka-Pekka Tuominen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
As far as I know the Fire Breath is always a part of the attack. Shadow Dragon's attack is a melee one so there need to be a target next to it in order to attack.

The surge abilities are used in a certain order that is listed on the Road to Legend rules so I won't go over those. I think a Shadow Dragon would do Fire Breath in any of its attacks according to the rules listed.

If the RtL app really asks specially to do Fire Breath I think there is probably some additional rule in play. I don't have the app here that I could test it, but there is usually some special rules given to each turn for monsters that is listed on the top part of the action list.

If there is something different listed on that then my advice might not be correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
Descent 2nd Edition Community Rules Reference Guide
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Fire Breath causes the attack to affect the target and up to 3 additional figures. The path for Fire Breath is traced by counting spaces. These spaces do not have to be in a straight line. The same space may be counted twice, however each figure can be affected only once by Fire Breath.

Check the CRRG page 86 for a visual representation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Winandy
France
flag msg tools
Hello !

I did check the CRRG page 86 and the path traced in figure 8 is very weird ...

When the skill Fire Breath ask us to trace a path, i consider 2 options :

- the path means the form of the Fire Breath which would be in straight line in any direction.

- the path means every spaces of the ground hit as if the dragon would be able to draw a smiley on the floor (there is no respect in this world...) but in the case the dragon should have LOS of those spaces.

It's difficult to accept that the healer and the summoned stone can be reach behind the wall by a selfguided Fire Breath.

What do yo think ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might feel that the behavior of the Fire Breath is strange but it's the correct way to play it as confirmed by several FFG representatives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Winandy
France
flag msg tools
Okay, so it seems it's the second option : drawing the floor with fire. I understand the concept but be able to hit someone behind a cover with fire dodging monsters and coming by side. Hum ... i need time ...
Okay it's OP for OL and i could stop here devil but my players are coming from RPG like D&D or Warhammer... That's not role-play. I'm not very comfortable to defend the idea

What is your point of view ? Is it the kind of rules which deserves some adjustment ? (house rule)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lightningclaw Stormcaller
msg tools
I think you can explain it away fluff wise. Some like to say the dragon is rearing up and aiming the fire. I think for around corners, the dragon is using a thicker fluid for the flame, and if he/she angles it right, they can get it to skip off the ground and splatter areas around corners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka-Pekka Tuominen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thematically I can see a problem here, but this is still a board game first and only secondly a thematic fight with a real dragon.
I wouldn't make any house rules on this subject as Fire Breath is quite a rare skill that only a very few monsters have. In case the heroes want to eliminate the skill all they have to do is to kill that monster.

To limit the way the skill works will have an effect on the game balance. And to affect it I would also consider to down play some skills from the heroes skillset.
You can definitely play as you want and I will never intervene on plays that have been agreed on with all the players.
If you need a reason for this skill to work as it is now described, my best reason is player balance. It just works as it is, because otherwise the heroes would have a light advantage.
Also note that to have that balance all the players should know how the skills work. So in case you use Shadow Dragons (or any other monsters) you should always make sure the players know how their skills work. Also the Overlord player should always make sure they know how the heroes' skills work.

EDIT: Also obviously it is really simple to the heroes to not attack any monster in a gonga line and therefore make the attack easier fo the OL to use Fire Breath.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An idea you and your players should get rid of is the perception that Descent is an RPG. Descent is intended to be a small scale tactical war game. It's Warhammer on a smaller scale. Any ideas about theme or logic are just going to get in the way of your understanding of the mechanics and rules at play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Telgar Sandseeker
msg tools
aKa Telgar SandSeeker
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi
I am trying to figure out how this FireBreath is working.
1st target is an heroes, this is ok.
Then, if following the common agreed way of playing it, the breath would affect 3 more cases. And rules and CRRG are reffering to 'Figures'. A Figure can be an heroes, or a monster, or other things.
When playing with the app, it is up to the players to draw the firebreath path after the 1s target (which is a heroe, that's ok).
I am in a situation where I have a pack of 2 heroes and many monsters adjacent.
After the 1st heroe take the attack, do I have freedom, for the 3 remaining cases, to select only Monsters figures?

This does not seem correct for me, and I am about to play with a Straight Firebreath, going in one direction on 4 cases, starting from the targetted heroe.

Furthermore, the french version of the Dragon is quite clear: "Draw a path in any direction". Not "...in any directions". So I understand that you select one direction starting from the heroe targetted, then it is straight.

Any advice welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Road to Legend many monster abilities do have additional instructions which can be displayed when clicking on the info button or the skull symbol at the top of the monster activation window. For Fire Breath the instruction is:

Fire Breath: When tracing the path for "Fire Breath," include as many heroes as possible without tracing through monsters.

The path of Fire Breath does not have to be in a straight line. This has been confirmed by FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Telgar Sandseeker
msg tools
aKa Telgar SandSeeker
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadgit wrote:
In Road to Legend many monster abilities do have additional instructions which can be displayed when clicking on the info button or the skull symbol at the top of the monster activation window. For Fire Breath the instruction is:

Fire Breath: When tracing the path for "Fire Breath," include as many heroes as possible without tracing through monsters.

The path of Fire Breath does not have to be in a straight line. This has been confirmed by FFG.

This.
You are absolutely correct. I was forgetting to refer to the app help.
Learning everyday.
But my heroes are now soon dead

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.