Twilight Imperium (Fourth Edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Thoughts on Construction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
possum man
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So as a long time TI3 veteran, I finally played my first (5-player) game of TI4 this weekend. After the game I realised something - Space Docks are not static any more.
In TI3, you'd put Abyz/Fria in front of your homesystem, build 2 spacedocks, and never worry about it again, churning out units for the whole game. Unless you needed it for a SO, you'd never feel the need to change where your spacedocks were.

But with the Construction Strategy Card, that doesn't need to be the case. You can easily aquire Fleet Logistics, and with your double-action, you can put a spacedock on any planet you like (plus free PDS) and build there! Getting attacked on your right flank? Move the dock and immediately build on the front line. Mecatol coming under fire? No worries, just teleport that spacedock there and build more ships to defend yourself.

Of course Abyz/Fria is a good pllace to out your spacedocks initially just for the production capactity; but there's no reason they should stay there the whole game.

Has anyone tried a flexible Spacedock strategy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven hoffman
msg tools
While I have built some more forward placed space docks, I don't think I have ever picked up and moved one that was already on the board. I think each color has three in the supply.

All of my 10pt games have ended before anyone has been able to acquire and make much use of fleet logistics but construction followed by a quick build could certainly be a useful combo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fleet Logistics can be acquired quite early if a faction is trying. It's a powerful tech and a valid strategy. I've gotten it in 4/9 TI4 games so far [and 8/9 TI4 games have ended by Round 6].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Martens
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cystron wrote:
All of my 10pt games have ended before anyone has been able to acquire and make much use of fleet logistics but construction followed by a quick build could certainly be a useful combo.

This would be my point to echo. I could see this idea being useful perhaps ONCE every few games. You're certainly not going to do it multiple times a game, it's just too costly. In a 4 player game, the chances go up a bit more, but even still, it's a lot to ask of a player. In most cases I think I'd rather move PDS anyways, because to me the assumption is I'd be playing a race that benefits from playing Construction a lot anyways, and if that's the case, I'm Xxcha and want to shift my front lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Oh wow, totally didn't realize you don't need to scuttle things anymore!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.