Subject: Enemies with aggressive AND ranged ability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Decay
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played that entering a space adjacent to an aggressive ranged enemy (e.g. Enclave Soldier) triggers an attack. Or when such an enemy would be activated 2 spaces away that he moves to an adjacent space and then immediately attacks. But after re-reading the rules I couldn't find anything that let aggressive enemies trigger on adjacent spaces.
So is it correct that aggressive and ranged do not combine each other and we played it wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Day
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aggression only applies if you move into a space with the monster or the monster moves into your space.

If a monster with both Aggression and Ranged activates while adjacent, it will make it's ranged attack instead of moving into the space. Since this means that the monster will never actually move into your space, its Aggression will only trigger when you move into its space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Decay
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought so after re-reading the rules. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Power
United States
Mount Airy
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hedgehobbit wrote:
Aggression only applies if you move into a space with the monster or the monster moves into your space.

If a monster with both Aggression and Ranged activates while adjacent, it will make it's ranged attack instead of moving into the space. Since this means that the monster will never actually move into your space, its Aggression will only trigger when you move into its space.

Sorry, I think I understand this but we had a heated debate about this in my last session:

During the activation phase, a Sentry Bot (level 3) with aggression and ranged icons, moved into an unexplored tile and my 12 hp Ghoul character was in a space adjacent to it. After much argument, we decided that in addition to it's move, it also got to attack me. Headshots required to kill it all result in at least one hit, so naturally I took 3 hits (+1 for ranged) and died. I was trying rerolls but still ended up with the 3 hits.

I ineffectively argued that the rules stated that an aggro'd range enemy will attack from an adjacent space instead of moving. As this one moved a space, it shouldn't be allowed to attack after the move. Of course, when it would be my turn, I guess it would activate and fight me anyway, so maybe it's a moot question.

Who's right? From your response, it sounds like since the enemy wasn't adjacent, it's activation should only move it to the adjacent space/tile. On my turn, it would reactivate only if I moved into it's space. Had it started there (adjacent), the activation would make it start the ranged combat in lieu of movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Day
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bullseye71 wrote:
Who's right? From your response, it sounds like since the enemy wasn't adjacent, it's activation should only move it to the adjacent space/tile. On my turn, it would reactivate only if I moved into it's space. Had it started there (adjacent), the activation would make it start the ranged combat in lieu of movement.

This is correct. Aggression only triggers on moving into the same space. It doesn't trigger at range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.