Popular Tags: [View All]
Philipp Ottensamer
Austria
Wien
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there folks! I'm kinda in the mood for a heavier eurogame.

I'm pretty torn between Anachrony and Gaia Project. I'm also thinking of getting my GF into playing heavier games, but obviously I shouldn't start with these.

Still, it would be nice and I felt like I had a super easy time teaching TM back in the day, and Gaia Project seems to be even streamlined a little.

Anachrony is much cooler looking doe and would prolly pique her interest more, but I fear that it might be a mess to teach that. :/

Any input? I also have Terraforming Mars on my List, but it just seems too lifeless and dead to me - no pun intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you're talking recent games. More and more I'm finding that 'heavy' games are overwrought and not worth their complexity. Lisboa is the only game in the last year that I'd say is both heavy and worth it. Going back to 2016, there's A Feast for Odin. In the "only slightly heavier than typical middle weight" category there's Great Western Trail and Railroad Revolution. Both "train" games, but not really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Ottensamer
Austria
Wien
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, yeah, Lisboa looks so beautiful, but I fear it might be a little too brain burny and fiddly. I haven't had the best experiences with Lacerdas games sadly. :/

The others seem kinda interesting, and I heard many good things about them, but they look kinda bland to me to be honest - then again, I know I shouldn't be too picky about that when I'm looking for a euro, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twyker wrote:
Hm, yeah, Lisboa looks so beautiful, but I fear it might be a little too brain burny and fiddly.

I thought that's what you were looking for?

Twyker wrote:
I haven't had the best experiences with Lacerdas games sadly. :/

Then I'm confused. Those are the epitome of heavy euro game. What didn't work for you with them? I looked for your rating comments for Vinhos, Kanban, or Gallerist in your collection, but didn't see them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Morales
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twyker wrote:
Hm, yeah, Lisboa looks so beautiful, but I fear it might be a little too brain burny and fiddly. I haven't had the best experiences with Lacerdas games sadly. :/

The others seem kinda interesting, and I heard many good things about them, but they look kinda bland to me to be honest - then again, I know I shouldn't be too picky about that when I'm looking for a euro, right?

I read this and thought of Princess bride.

"heavy"

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blottie
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go with Gaia Project.

I prefer Anachrony, but if you aren't digging on Vital's games, Anarchony is pretty much as Vital as you're going to get without it being done by him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization is newish, and has an even newer excellent app version. if you want to go really heavy, but also really excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah_Pook wrote:
Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization is newish, and has an even newer excellent app version. if you want to go really heavy, but also really excellent.

Because of the excellent app, I have no desire to ever play this on the table. But then again, unlike the OP, I have too many games to play. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Ottensamer
Austria
Wien
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mrdabba wrote:

I read this and thought of Princess bride.

"heavy"

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Easy enough: Would you consider Anachrony, Terra Mystica or Gaia Project heavier eurogames?

blottieb wrote:
Go with Gaia Project.

I prefer Anachrony, but if you aren't digging on Vital's games, Anarchony is pretty much as Vital as you're going to get without it being done by him.

Thank you, this is exactly the kinda input I was looking for.

curtc wrote:

Then I'm confused. Those are the epitome of heavy euro game. What didn't work for you with them? I looked for your rating comments for Vinhos, Kanban, or Gallerist in your collection, but didn't see them.

To be honest, I have played every one of them by now, but only once. Didn't really feel like it would have been a justified rating with only one play, but I also felt like I prolly wouldn't play them again. I think Kanban was by far the 'worst'. Something about his game design just seems to rub my brain the wrong way. :/ CO2 was pretty okay doe, looking forward to the second edition.

curtc wrote:

Because of the excellent app, I have no desire to ever play this on the table. But then again, unlike the OP, I have too many games to play. laugh

Don't we all...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Morales
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Anachrony but I would not consider it a heavy Euro game as its all iconography and once you learn what each icon stands for its pretty easy going.

Its also very easy to teach/learn for that matter too if your dealing with board gamers that are past the intro game phase. I'm able to teach the game in 30 minutes or less and after the first few rounds everyone pretty much understands what everything does.

Compare this to Lisboa which would take me an hour to teach and you would be referencing the player aid for many games and if you stop playing for a few months you'll have to reference the rulebook again to remember the order of things.

If I had to think of my favorite worker placement that is both easy to teach/learn and tons of replayability I'd go with Snowdonia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twyker wrote:
blottieb wrote:
Go with Gaia Project.

Seems like you already made your decision, and you're just looking for someone to validate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Ottensamer
Austria
Wien
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Twyker wrote:
blottieb wrote:
Go with Gaia Project.

Seems like you already made your decision, and you're just looking for someone to validate it.

Not really, was pretty much on the fence and would like both games equally. Even thought about getting Lisboa for a time, but it's just so hard to get/pricey at the moment.
What I was mainly looking for was people, that had played Anachrony and/or Gaia Project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.