Popular Tags: [View All]
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From reading the forums here and on the KS comments, it is evident that MB : P is the first miniatures game for some people.

I just wanted to give them some hope and instruction for any bent/warped minis they may have gotten in their shipment (once they get it).

Steps for the Hot Water Fix:

1. Heat some water. Hot water from tap may or may not be hot enough. Boiling is too hot. I microwaved a small bowl of water for 45 sec until it was steamy but not boiling and it worked fine.

2. Hold bent/warped part in water. Not sure I'd advise dipping the whole thing, but it might be necessary depending on the part needing attention.

3. After 30 -60 seconds, remove and check the part. Change temp and/or time and try again if not fixed, otherwise, let cool for a couple seconds, then rinse with cold water.

That's it!

Here are some results...

Diomedes base before and after:

Aeacus spike before and after:

PLEASE NOTE: Quickworthy made an official statement saying not all plastic can be fixed this way so be careful.
Quote:

The hot water trick works very well on PVC. This is what the bulk of the miniatures are made of. Some of the spears and other bits that were supposed to be straight were made of ABS plastic. The hot water trick won't work here. However, ABS can usually be GENTLY bent back into shape. You have to be careful, but it's certainly doable, and I've done it myself on may minis over the years. ABS is a more rigid plastic, which is why it keeps the straightness much better, but it's still plastic, so it does bend if you use enough force. Lots of sharply and suddenly applied force will snap it. Gently and gradually applied force with supported pieces can bend then back into shape.
Telling which type of plastic is used on a particular part isn't always easy. But for reference, Hades' spear is ABS. His body is PVC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Castro
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A slight warning about microwaving water. Just because it is not boiling, it does not mean that it isn't incredibly hot and potentially dangerous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_OXM4mr_i0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just FYI, there have been several other reports of folks fixing and even "re-shaping" to some extent parts of models using the hot water fix.

These include but are not limited to:

Basilisk pose (so his head is up and even)
Chimera wings
Manticore wings
Sphinx wings

I'll try to post some pics of the ones I've done, but I encourage others to do the same.

Thx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abe
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dc0nklin wrote:
Just FYI, there have been several other reports of folks fixing and even "re-shaping" to some extent parts of models using the hot water fix.

Chimera wings
Manticore wings
Sphinx wings

I'll try to post some pics of the ones I've done, but I encourage others to do the same.

Thx

I've actually done all the ones you've listed. However, I've found that with the larger wings a hairdryer works better than water.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
dc0nklin wrote:

Chimera wings
Manticore wings
Sphinx wings

Thx

I'd love to see some pictures. It's strange that the wings on these big characters go straight up. I'd like to see how others have shaped them. They will look much cooler when fixed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Tavern wrote:

I'd love to see some pictures. It's strange that the wings on these big characters go straight up. I'd like to see how others have shaped them. They will look much cooler when fixed!

Found this one on Facebook:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eateng300 wrote:
However, I've found that with the larger wings a hairdryer works better than water.

For $12 I found one of these hot air guns more effective with miniatures than a hairdryer:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071WLS26T?tag=article-boa...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK if you want to melt the model to slag and burn your fingers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Castro
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The concentrated steam coming from a tea kettle also works wonders and you can target precisely where you want the heat. Unlike dunking the entire figure or using an overpowered heatgun(likely to destroy mini).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How are you keeping the new pose? Mine bend back to their original pose after a few days. I've already tried keeping them in the fridge for a couple of days but still, they just return to their original pose after some time.

I can fix warped/bent minis with no problem. The fix becomes permanent.

However, changing the pose isnt. Am I missing a step or two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Major Mishap wrote:
OK if you want to melt the model to slag and burn your fingers

Using a 300W hot air gun you'll have to hold your fingers in front for quite a while.

For comparison, a typical hair dryer is 800W-1800W.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turonee wrote:
How are you keeping the new pose? Mine bend back to their original pose after a few days. I've already tried keeping them in the fridge for a couple of days but still, they just return to their original pose after some time.

I can fix warped/bent minis with no problem. The fix becomes permanent.

However, changing the pose isnt. Am I missing a step or two?

You have to get the interior plastic warm enough, especially if there are thick segments.

When reshaping I don't usually dip in cold water, but I do hold it in position until it has cooled enough to keep the pose.

Keeping in the fridge won't help. I do also overbend by a small amount, but not much.

With thick pieces I never had really good luck with hot water. The hairdryer occasionally worked, but the mini-heat gun has been the best of all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rvinyard wrote:

You have to get the interior plastic warm enough, especially if there are thick segments.

When reshaping I don't usually dip in cold water, but I do hold it in position until it has cooled enough to keep the pose.

Keeping in the fridge won't help. I do also overbend by a small amount, but not much.

With thick pieces I never had really good luck with hot water. The hairdryer occasionally worked, but the mini-heat gun has been the best of all.

Ive actually softened it to the point that the whole mini becomes 'rubbery'. One specific case is with steno/gorgon. Both of her wings are really thin, so it's really easy to soften them up. Ive actually heated the plasic to the point that theyve become so hot that my fingers actually get a little burnt just by touching them. Plastic hasnt melted yet though. I've tried folding the wings about 90degrees backwards, they hold thier position for a couple of days, tehn youll see them return to their original pose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turonee wrote:
rvinyard wrote:

Ive actually softened it to the point that the whole mini becomes 'rubbery'. One specific case is with steno/gorgon. Both of her wings are really thin, so it's really easy to soften them up. Ive actually heated the plasic to the point that theyve become so hot that my fingers actually get a little burnt just by touching them. Plastic hasnt melted yet though. I've tried folding the wings about 90degrees backwards, they hold thier position for a couple of days, tehn youll see them return to their original pose.

Wings are where I really like the heat gun, but to be clear I'm talking in general, not the MB minis. I haven't tried them yet.

Generally the main support of the wings requires a different heat level from the material of the wings so I angle the wing material away from the gun and try and hit the edge support directly.

Hopefully I'll be able to work through MB by this weekend. I'll follow up with any results I get and can tell you if a different type of heat makes a difference in the outcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
So has anyone successfully gotten the wings to stay shaped correctly or do they just go back to their original position?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Tavern wrote:
So has anyone successfully gotten the wings to stay shaped correctly or do they just go back to their original position?

I still haven't had time to attempt mine. Hopefully this weekend, but I'm not optimistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Tavern wrote:

They stay to whatever position you put them in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Schmidt
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'd like to elaborate from my own experience. I wash minis with hot soapy water from my tap, and it is hot enough to heat some minis to a pliable state; thus I've noticed some things.

When you heat up the plastic, it will tend to return to it's original shape, however it is also subject to manipulation from any forces, to include gravity. Often a model will deform under it's own weight, so be mindful of that when you are heating it.

To fix a base, heat it up and stand it up on a smooth flat surface. Gravity will set it against the surface. On that same note, if you heat a model up laying on it's side, the weight of the model will probably warp the base, so be mindful of that if you dropping minis into hot water and tossing them on a drying rack.

Cold water will rapidly cool a model and lock it into place, but if you pour water on, the force of the water can cause a deformation of the plastic just before it cools, so be mindful of how you apply the water.

You can do a lot of things with hot water, but you can also accidentally do a lot of things with hot water.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kay
msg tools
Those willing to invest for a tool for crafting & electronics, pick up an inexpensive soldering station with hot air gun. You can dial in the exact temps that will work best for a variety of situations.

I bought this one a few years ago, and it has been a good investment:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B013DQQ4XO/ref=oh_aui_se...

FYI, from my research & viewing teardown videos, most of these stations that look the same are all from same manufacturer, no real difference in construction. So brand name & marketing are the most likely thing you would be paying more for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.