Popular Tags: [View All]
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So my mouth may as well be British in every way except its overuse of "u"s. And yesterday, I had to get a root canal. Now, I am actually one of the better dental patients. Maybe it's because I've had so much practice at it. Once you get me past the needle, I'm golden. But a lot of that is because of nitrous.

That stuff is so amazing.

Nitrous + headphones = sensory deprivation.

But every time I'm on nitrous, the world slows down. My thoughts go faster than the world, go too fast... then the giggle. But the big thoughts? Well, I can't even remember them now anymore. Not while I'm not hopped up on gas. What I do remember thinking, though, is about how the chemicals change everything about me. And that gets me thinking about my spirit. My soul.

How does it get affected by that kind of thing, where's its the chemicals in the way? It made me question the whole thing because if it's all just chemicals, then... what?

Anyhow, I know this feel disjointed. But that's because I don't have that stream of consciousness going I did under the gas. Maybe I should get that script filled for oxy, take some, and have another go at it. Or maybe I'll find a way to record my thoughts next time I'm on gas so I can string it together better for you.

Because there in the chair... my thoughts really are deep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb

Whoa...DUDE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, drugs can be pretty awesome. You should try caffeine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You're thoughts aren't really deep, you just think they are, at the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:

Just like a liberal's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear about the root canal. That sucks.

At least there's the nitrous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:

Just like a liberal's.

Attempt to politicize this - FAIL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
Jythier wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:

Just like a liberal's.

Attempt to entertain my friend, actually. I thought Crossing would get a kick out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
I broke one of my front teeth when I was a kid, tripped while running and hit the tooth on a rock, snapped the top half off. The thing is, that tooth is still fine. The dentist put a cap on it to make it look ok, and no problems since then other than replacing the cap once as they only last around 20 years max.

The tooth right next to it, however, has caused me problems all my life. The accident damaged that tooth as well, but instead of snapping above the gums, apparently it was damaged below the gums. So in my late teens I had a root canal, then a few years later another root canal, then a few years later I had a apicoectomy. A apicoectomy is basically where they cut your gums, peel them back, and then drill into your tooth below the gums and put in a bone graft (if necessary). That really sucked, way worse than a root canal.

Then a few years later, the tooth got infected again. Sick of dealing with it by this time, I decided to just have it pulled and get a dental implant. Took 6 months for the titanium rod to heal up really firmly in my jaw, but now I've got a completely fake tooth attached to the metal rod embedded in my jaw. No problems since then. Good to be alive today vs 50 years ago for sure. Feels nearly identical to a real tooth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
I broke one of my front teeth when I was a kid, tripped while running and hit the tooth on a rock, snapped the top half off. The thing is, that tooth is still fine. The dentist put a cap on it to make it look ok, and no problems since then other than replacing the cap once as they only last around 20 years max.

The tooth right next to it, however, has caused me problems all my life. The accident damaged that tooth as well, but instead of snapping above the gums, apparently it was damaged below the gums. So in my late teens I had a root canal, then a few years later another root canal, then a few years later I had a apicoectomy. A apicoectomy is basically where they cut your gums, peel them back, and then drill into your tooth below the gums and put in a bone graft (if necessary). That really sucked, way worse than a root canal.

Then a few years later, the tooth got infected again. Sick of dealing with it by this time, I decided to just have it pulled and get a dental implant. Took 6 months for the titanium rod to heal up really firmly in my jaw, but now I've got a completely fake tooth attached to the metal rod embedded in my jaw. No problems since then. Good to be alive today vs 50 years ago for sure. Feels nearly identical to a real tooth.

Wonders how implants effect the use of full time dentures. My Dad had a full set of choppers, with just about every tooth on the false set. I assume that having too many implants might upset that plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
Wonders how implants effect the use of full time dentures. My Dad had a full set of choppers, with just about every tooth on the false set. I assume that having too many implants might upset that plan.

Implants work fine with dentures. In fact, a common procedure called "all on four" works by pulling all of your teeth and then using 4 dental implants to anchor the dentures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-on-4

That said, a dental implant should last your entire life as long as you (and your jawbone) are healthy. It is possible to have all of your teeth replaced by implants, which is vastly more costly than the "all on 4" method, but yields better results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:
Jythier wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:

Just like a liberal's.

Attempt to entertain my friend, actually. I thought Crossing would get a kick out of it.

I thought it was pretty darn funny. Sort of a partisan "that's what she said" kind of thing, not that that is funny or okay anymore. It's wrong. Very very wrong. Funny, but wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
Odd that on actual dental health care - not cosmetic stuff the Uk is rated higher than the US for dental care

So I guess another USA not #1!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty
msg tools
GameCrossing wrote:
Maybe I should get that script filled for oxy, take some, and have another go at it. Or maybe I'll find a way to record my thoughts next time I'm on gas so I can string it together better for you.

Do post here when you launch your "Junior Hits The Town On Ether" Kickstarter; I am in. Shoot, I will be your designated driver, your bodyguard or cameraman (both--just not at the same time), and your lawyer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
I went to a Grateful Dead show once where apparently the nitrous balloons were the thing to do. I always found it interesting that where unlike Helium makes your voice go an octave higher, Nitrous makes your voice go an octave lower.

Which is fun when you start giggling, you look over at your buddy with dead pan eyes and say...

*low voice*"See you in the Corn field, Danny"*low voice*

And watching him flip his shit out, because his name isn't Danny, and is on his second hour on shrooms in the middle of the night with hippies dancing around in the moonlight in Bob Weir's fifth hour of a jam session. I thought for sure he was about to go all Roach and start picking VC off the bridge....

Never get out of the boat. Absolutely God Damned Right, unless you were going all the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
So my mouth may as well be British in every way except its overuse of "u"s.

For the record, people in the UK actually have healthier teeth on average than people in the US, when you measure things like decay, fillings, or missing teeth. Largely on account of British poor people having access to dentists, and lower (although still high) consumption of sweets and sugary drinks. It's just that US folks put a higher priority on cosmetic treatment like whitening and straightening, so British teeth don't fit their perception of what healthy teeth look like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
Maybe I should get that script filled for oxy, take some, and have another go at it. Or maybe I'll find a way to record my thoughts next time I'm on gas so I can string it together better for you.

Do post here when you launch your "Junior Hits The Town On Ether" Kickstarter; I am in. Shoot, I will be your designated driver, your bodyguard or cameraman (both--just not at the same time), and your lawyer.

Confession time. I have never drank alcohol, smoked cigarettes, smoked pot, none of it. But when I went to Ricks College (now BYU-Idaho) I huffed ether once. Got ratted out apparently because it was so strong, the apartment above ours turned us in to the Honor Code office.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
So my mouth may as well be British in every way except its overuse of "u"s. And yesterday, I had to get a root canal. Now, I am actually one of the better dental patients. Maybe it's because I've had so much practice at it. Once you get me past the needle, I'm golden. But a lot of that is because of nitrous.

That stuff is so amazing.

Nitrous + headphones = sensory deprivation.

But every time I'm on nitrous, the world slows down. My thoughts go faster than the world, go too fast... then the giggle. But the big thoughts? Well, I can't even remember them now anymore. Not while I'm not hopped up on gas. What I do remember thinking, though, is about how the chemicals change everything about me. And that gets me thinking about my spirit. My soul.

How does it get affected by that kind of thing, where's its the chemicals in the way? It made me question the whole thing because if it's all just chemicals, then... what?

Anyhow, I know this feel disjointed. But that's because I don't have that stream of consciousness going I did under the gas. Maybe I should get that script filled for oxy, take some, and have another go at it. Or maybe I'll find a way to record my thoughts next time I'm on gas so I can string it together better for you.

Because there in the chair... my thoughts really are deep.

I feel as if you have shared some great tooth with all of us. Perhaps by working together we can get to tbe root of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

"we can't stop here, this is BGG country"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty
msg tools
GameCrossing wrote:
ether

And? And?? That's the one drug from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas that actually sounded appealing to me:

Quote:
This is the main advantage of ether: it makes you behave like the village drunkard in some early Irish novel... total loss of all basic motor skills: blurred vision, no balance, numb tongue--severance of all connection between the body and the brain. Which is interesting, because the brain continues to function more or less normally... you can actually watch yourself behaving in this terrible way, but you can't control it. [...] Ah, devil ether--a total body drug. The mind recoils in horror, unable to communicate with the spinal column. The hands flap crazily, unable to get money out of the pocket... garbled laughter and hissing from the mouth... always smiling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
ether

And? And?? That's the one drug from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas that actually sounded appealing to me:

Quote:
This is the main advantage of ether: it makes you behave like the village drunkard in some early Irish novel... total loss of all basic motor skills: blurred vision, no balance, numb tongue--severance of all connection between the body and the brain. Which is interesting, because the brain continues to function more or less normally... you can actually watch yourself behaving in this terrible way, but you can't control it. [...] Ah, devil ether--a total body drug. The mind recoils in horror, unable to communicate with the spinal column. The hands flap crazily, unable to get money out of the pocket... garbled laughter and hissing from the mouth... always smiling.

Three things I distinctly remember.

1) The way it felt. I started feeling numb all over. Like my nerves were retracting into my body and I had this cushiony feeling around me. Insulated, because my feeling didn't go all the way to my skin. I remember being scared at one point but I can't remember if it was a breathing issue or a heart rate issue. But aside from that one moment of panic, the feeling of shrinking into myself was... nice.

2) A sharp sense of deja vu. Or maybe not that so much as precognition. I remember having dreams as a kid of some of the incidents that happened there. The button coming off the spray can. The weird bench up against the wall. Stumbling a little. These memories stand out even today as things I had experienced as a recurring dream from back when I was... six? I get that the deja vu feeling may have been an effect of the ether, but I remember dreaming that before. Can this make me remember things I never actually remembered? I... I don't know.

3) Running two apartments down to tell some of my friends to remind me of my deja vu, to remind me of how I was feeling then. Because much like my overthinking of stuff about chemicals vs the soul yesterday, the feeling of precognition of that moment was a spiritual enlightenment that I HAD to remember, and I was afraid I might forget, so I told them to remind me. Would you believe me if I told you they weren't as serious about that obligation as I'd hoped they'd be? The rudeness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On a note totally unrelated to either ether or nitrous... am I the only one who finds this at least slightly wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty
msg tools
GameCrossing wrote:

They should've added the word "Extremely."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
That is not dead which can eternal lie
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
On a note totally unrelated to either ether or nitrous... am I the only one who finds this at least slightly wrong?

Why does that door look abut 18 inches wide? ...I guess it works if the handicap is a case of "Flat Stanley-itis"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Confession time. I have never drank alcohol, smoked cigarettes, smoked pot, none of it. But when I went to Ricks College (now BYU-Idaho) I huffed ether once. Got ratted out apparently because it was so strong, the apartment above ours turned us in to the Honor Code office.

I believe this confession has achieved... MAXIMUM MORMON!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.