Popular Tags: [View All]
Vlad
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

We were in a situation where I had sentry bot in my hand and pulled a t-rex. I figured thematically I can just stick my metal pet on the dino right there and then. Since the game is easy as it is maybe it would've been better to pretend that the bot has 'setup time' of some sort and can't be instantly activated.

Anyone heard anything definitive about timing when playing actions? Can bot be instantly activated or should it wait a turn?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same timing question:

Can I place the Bot immediately before drawing a creature card? Immediately after, after I see the creature? (as suggested above?) Or only after all encounters in a hex have been fully resolved?

(I'll add this to the FAQ when answered.)

I suspect that once you draw the card, it's too late. (Though I've been wrong many times before.) But I do wonder whether it's allowed before the card is drawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlad
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, there's nothing even remotely about timing in the rules.

I also remember a card that allowed me to look at the top card and either put it on top or bottom of deck. When would I be able to do that as far as movements, encounters, etc are concerned? Can I encounter and then look or do I need to look and then move/encounter?

Just need better 'turn timing' rules in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you mean the sensor goggles, maybe. Here's a relevant question from this thread:

Azilut wrote:
What is the timing of items with an "activate" power? E.g. suppose I have the sensor goggles and I explore a tile that turns out to contain a carnivore icon. Is there a timing point in between revealing the tile and drawing the card when I could activate the goggles and potentially avoid an undesirable draw, or is the encounter "triggered" as soon as I reveal the tile, such that it must be drawn and resolved before I can use any activation powers?

It's essentially the same timing question as the Sentry Bots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nemisis
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vladk wrote:
Hi there,

We were in a situation where I had sentry bot in my hand and pulled a t-rex. I figured thematically I can just stick my metal pet on the dino right there and then. Since the game is easy as it is maybe it would've been better to pretend that the bot has 'setup time' of some sort and can't be instantly activated.

Anyone heard anything definitive about timing when playing actions? Can bot be instantly activated or should it wait a turn?

Thanks.

After rethinking this with a friend, we believe that you would have to resolve everything upon exploring a space first, then you can drop the bot into the space you are residing in for any future creatures that might enter the space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. After looking over various threads related to equipment (ammo, healing kits, etc.), this is my current understanding of equipment timing:

Q: What’s the timing of equipment like the Sentry Bot? Is there a window of opportunity to set up a Bot after revealing a tile, but before drawing a card? Or am I allowed to set up a Bot after drawing a creature card, after I see the creature? Or is there no window and I must wait until an encounter has been fully resolved before setting up a Bot?

A: There is no “window of opportunity” as described above. A Sentry Bot may be placed anytime on your turn, as long as it is not placed during an exploration/encounter. An exploration/encounter must be fully resolved before a Bot can be placed. Examples of legal play: You may set up a Sentry Bot in your current hex before exploring a new hex. Or, after successfully Fleeing from a creature into an adjacent hex, you may set up a Bot as a potential ambush. Examples of illegal play: You cannot set up a Sentry Bot after revealing a new hex and realizing that you will face a creature. You also cannot set up a Bot after a failed combat roll to try and prevent another round of combat.

Note: Items such as the Sensor Goggles adhere to the same timing rules. They can be used anytime on your turn, as long as they are not used during an exploration/encounter.

If the designer disagrees, I'm sure he'll let me know eventually. He's probably out holiday shopping like the rest of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.