Subject: mining and economy board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fredrik Sköldheimer
Sweden
Jönköping
flag msg tools
Just read the rules for embers..

When you mine, does those cubes come off the economy board as well? same question with cubes you earn from relics? Or does those come from the supply?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Those come from the supply. Only purchased goods come from the board.

However, selling a good that you get from mining, etc, DOES trigger the regular "selling" stuff on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert van Bruggen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it is explained here
http://www.faroffgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Xia_Em...

Page 3 section C: Economy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Sköldheimer
Sweden
Jönköping
flag msg tools
I thought so but got a bit confused if I got it right.

The longer into the game you get the more cubes gets on the economy board and the lesser chance of a shortage. Am I right?

We just played our first game (two players) with the expansion and we never ran out of cubes or got closed to it. So I thought that maybe I got something wrong.

Also, Because Ember is not even on the economy board, and even if it was, the only way to get it is to "mine". It doesn't fix the problem with the "get" location getting to close to the "sell" location entirely?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odyzeus Longbow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fredriksk wrote:

The longer into the game you get the more cubes gets on the economy board and the lesser chance of a shortage. Am I right?

We just played our first game (two players) with the expansion and we never ran out of cubes or got closed to it. So I thought that maybe I got something wrong.

Also, Because Ember is not even on the economy board, and even if it was, the only way to get it is to "mine". It doesn't fix the problem with the "get" location getting to close to the "sell" location entirely?

It's pretty hard to get ember, as mining is risky business, even with enviro-shields. a bad roll can cost you 1-2 action markers.

The economy board fixes the issue with regular plants and goods being close to each other - the most you could buy and sell in a single go is 6, after that some effect needs to replenish those cubes.

As for economy shortage and surplus -
at the beginning of the game you roll 1D6 to populate the economy board, this may change the state of goods dramatically.

Also the Outlaw plants drain the economy board of resources if i am not mistaken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fredriksk wrote:

It actually does quite the opposite. The Economy board CAUSES shortages of certain materials forcing players to make runs to other planets to get various goods needed to produce others. At the start of the game, only 1d6 of each type is available on the market. As you buy goods from planets, this number goes down. When you sell those goods, they create the next type of good on the board (going clockwise, or the type of good that planet sells to be easier). Selling to pirate planets does not create new goods.

As for Embers, they are risky enough to harvest in the first place that it makes being able to sell them nearby a reasonable trade off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan West
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still awaiting my copy of Xia and Embers (KS) - but played a bit on TS. The economy board - when it has only 1 cube to start with it makes buying and selling worthless right? Since it will cost 1K to buy the one cube and then you'll only get 1K from selling - and no FP cos you need to sell 2 min to get a FP. Would it make sense to round up purchases when only 1 cube left on EB - i.e. if only 1 left you can still buy 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Would it make sense to round up purchases when only 1 cube left on EB - i.e. if only 1 left you can still buy 2?
Not really. Sell the commodity that generates more of that kind, or Mine/Harvest/Salvage. Utilize the planet Kei (after any M/H/S) to convert if you need to.

If there is only 1 on the economy board, that's just how it is, it's up to you to figure out how to deal with that situation. What your proposed rule would do is remove the uniqueness of those situations and force the game to be more homogenized. Just looking at this, it may feel like it is a situation that only applies when the economy board has one of a commodity, but that is not the case, it applies whenever there is an odd amount. That makes this less of an outlier situation and more of an all the time kind of thing.

Now if you wanted to make a rule that was: As an action at a Buy space, you may disarm two armed markers and purchase the last cube from the economy board and gain an additional one from stock.

That is something that I would consider more worthy as a change. I don't know if I like it, it's just off the top of my head. It would need at least a little playtesting, but honestly it's suboptimal and I would never do it, so it leads me to believe it's not going to break a game (at least I can't think of how it could). Mainly, I just don't think something like this is needed. I like how restrictive 1 cube on the board is, after all you can't roll a zero on 1d6.

If you wanna use that rule, go ahead. If you wanna propose an alternative, I'm more than happy to continue any Xia conversation.

Another thought, if it bothers you, or for anyone who may be OCD and need a little more symmetry. How about subtracting 1 from the initial roll for resources if the number is odd. This will generate the follow set of numbers: 0,2,2,4,4,6. It's a good distribution, and I think that's another perfectly reasonable approach (that I would never use personally). Besides I'd rather see it get rounded down than rounded up like your proposal does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pretentious? Moi?
United States
Pocomoke
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Calinor"]
Quote:
Another thought, if it bothers you, or for anyone who may be OCD and need a little more symmetry. How about subtracting 1 from the initial roll for resources if the number is odd. This will generate the follow set of numbers: 0,2,2,4,4,6. It's a good distribution, and I think that's another perfectly reasonable approach (that I would never use personally). Besides I'd rather see it get rounded down than rounded up like your proposal does.

But the single cube situation also arises during the game. Whenever a player sells the single cube gained through exploration, it's immediately converted into a single cube of the next color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.