Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for some recommendations. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D C
msg tools
Hi BoardGameGeeks, im looking for some recommendations to play with GF or some friends, but most of the time with GF.

We have some friends that like different types of board games, so im thinking on getting some of my own to play with my gf, but she has very different likes that i need to consider and selecting games hasn't been that easy.

Games that i know she likes:
- Dixit
- Catan
- Exploding Kittens
- Cards against humanity
- SuperFight
- Snake Oil
- A Game of Thrones boardg game
- Tsuro

Games she dislikes
- Risk
- 7 wonders
- Tokaido
- Clue
Basicly games that need lot of preparation, stategy, lot of counting, or that stale too much.

I showed her things like: Rick & Morty: Total recall, anatomy park, close rick-counters, munchkin, because the fandom we have with the show, but she wasn't very interested on the games. (Maybe because of the quality of the videos or players on the videos)

Im wating to receive Drinking Fluxx, Saboteur 2, Bear vs Babies, Epic Spell Wars and see how it goes with that, and she showed interest on Funemployed and social sabotage, but im still looking for others.

Thanks for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
Check me out on Instagram: @WisdomForWizards
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
Magodcs wrote:
Games that i know she likes:
- Dixit
- Catan
- Exploding Kittens
- Cards against humanity
- SuperFight
- Snake Oil
- A Game of Thrones boardg game
- Tsuro

See this is throwing me off, because every other game you listed is a rather simple and easy to play group/party game (except maybe Catan), But The Game of Thrones Board game is no joke intense lol.

At any rate, you may find success with something like Dice Forge, Carcassonne, or Survive: Escape from Atlantis.

Especially that last one. Survive is one of my wife's favorite games (she loves the "take that" gameplay).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Canales
Switzerland
Pully
flag msg tools
badge
That's my spot... You're on *my* spot...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go for

Port Royal
Splendor
Lanterns: The Harvest Festival
or
Haru Ichiban

Few things beat playing with the S.O.! Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john greeb
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I don't know much about Exploding Kittens other than it is a Take That card game with a "unique" theme. How about Guillotine ?

If you are looking for games to play with just you & the GF, the following lists are a pass. However, these are what came to mind when I read your GF's "likes".

Along the lines of CAH: Joking Hazard

A twist on Dixit: Muse

I've found the social deduction and/or bluffing games to be more often a hit than a miss (plus their price tag isn't too high in case they are a miss).
One Night Ultimate Werewolf or one of the varients
The Resistance
The Chameleon
Werewords

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotta
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Love Letter may very well match her likes.

Also

+1 Port Royal

Perhaps The Little Prince: Make Me a Planet?

Not sure about Splendor if you want to avoid counting, thinking in silence etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Canales
Switzerland
Pully
flag msg tools
badge
That's my spot... You're on *my* spot...
mbmbmbmbmb
chaelm wrote:

[...]
Not sure about Splendor if you want to avoid counting, thinking in silence etc...

Good point. Not much of an ambiance game but remarkably short and accomodates very well with two.

+1 for Love Letter, I was going to add it but I assumed the OP wanted 2-player friendly games thumbsup

NB: love letter plays with two but according to the community, it's not the ideal number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotta
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ravenpsycho wrote:

+1 for Love Letter, I was going to add it but I assumed the OP wanted 2-player friendly games thumbsup

NB: love letter plays with two but according to the community, it's not the ideal number of players.

Yes, many people do seem to dislike Love Letter with 2. We really enjoy it as 2-player though, so might be worth a try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S and E Honeyman
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I tried Love Letter 2player. It was terrible. Most rounds ended in one turn with it boiling down to luck of the draw. We'll give it a try with more people before we provide final judgement though.

We do, however, love Splendor, Jaipur, Survive, Carcassonne, and the Ticket to Ride series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D C
msg tools
WisdomForWizards wrote:

See this is throwing me off, because every other game you listed is a rather simple and easy to play group/party game (except maybe Catan), But The Game of Thrones Board game is no joke intense lol.

I know! I haven't played GoT but have seen videos, and im like "how you can like this and not like _____ game?!"

Love letter was one of the first i thought, but also thought it was similar to clue, am i wrong?

Thanks everybody for your answers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.