Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JMJimmy
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We're just starting to get into board games in a more serious way and this site has been an amazing resource!

There are two pieces of information that are missing though.

The first involves the disturbing trend of 'consumable' board games. Specifically, those with stickers. For us this is a big red flag of something we want to avoid. We'll replay a game many times over and having something that's used up/consumed is not something we want to support. We just got stung by this the other day, after reading all the great things about Pandemic Legacy Season 1 here on BGG we scooped up the last copy at a local store, only to discover the stickers. The easiest way is likely to add it to the "Mechanic" section, but ideally something more prominent.

The second is adding a "Worst For x Players" in addition to the "Best For x Players". I'm actually really surprised this isn't already a feature. As fun as board games are in groups, a lot of the time it's me and my wife playing and many games say 2-4, 2-6, etc. but are often terrible with only 2 players. Many times we'll find ourselves playing the role of 2 people each or modifying the rules to account for fewer players. Other times the game bogs down with too many players and you can feel like you don't do much because the game board doesn't adapt well or because a game should have been listed as 2-4 and not 2-6.

Thanks for the awesome database!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Crawford
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you click on the "Best" link in the game's info window, a popup will show you the breakdown of votes for each player count with "Best" and "Not Recommended" categories.

This would give you an idea of the "Worst for".

I agree that having some marker to designate consumable or one-time play games would be helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
legacy
thats the term your looking for rather than consumable

as for the worst for it really depends on your level of love for the game. I found on some games any number thats not in that "best for" mind as well be labeled "worst for". But games I love I'm willing to accept a game with a player count thats not optimal.
...I'm curious now about that, I'm gonna try looking for a game I'd want a worst player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Crawford
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
legacy

I was thinking this too, but I wasn't sure if games like that escape room game where you tear up cards or games like Time Stories where you can only play through once without knowing the answers were listed in the Legacy family.

I think the OP was interested in a designation that would cover games like those too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG glossary definition for legacy

A legacy game is a game that gets permanently altered after playing it. This to reflect a campaign. New content may be kept in the box to be used after certain conditions. Old content may get destroyed. Existing components, such as a game board or rulebook may get altered with stickers, a pen or by other means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started a geeklist for the legacy type games. Others to add??

Legacy Games - Games you can only play once...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JMJimmy wrote:
We're just starting to get into board games in a more serious way and this site has been an amazing resource!

There are two pieces of information that are missing though.

The first involves the disturbing trend of 'consumable' board games. Specifically, those with stickers. For us this is a big red flag of something we want to avoid. We'll replay a game many times over and having something that's used up/consumed is not something we want to support. We just got stung by this the other day, after reading all the great things about Pandemic Legacy Season 1 here on BGG we scooped up the last copy at a local store, only to discover the stickers. The easiest way is likely to add it to the "Mechanic" section, but ideally something more prominent.

The second is adding a "Worst For x Players" in addition to the "Best For x Players". I'm actually really surprised this isn't already a feature. As fun as board games are in groups, a lot of the time it's me and my wife playing and many games say 2-4, 2-6, etc. but are often terrible with only 2 players. Many times we'll find ourselves playing the role of 2 people each or modifying the rules to account for fewer players. Other times the game bogs down with too many players and you can feel like you don't do much because the game board doesn't adapt well or because a game should have been listed as 2-4 and not 2-6.

Thanks for the awesome database!

You are missing out if you don't get into legacy games. It's HOURS (like 20-30) of enjoyment for like 40 bucks and at the end you are relieved and elated and just blown away by the journey. It was one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
ReluctantFr0g wrote:
You are missing out if you don't get into legacy games. It's HOURS (like 20-30) of enjoyment for like 40 bucks and at the end you are relieved and elated and just blown away by the journey. It was one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had.

No game is for everyone. It sounds to me as if the O.P. knows what they want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JMJimmy
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
legacy

Legacy is the term - glad to know it exists. Casual users of the site will have no clue what that means but at least the data is there for those who do!

mafman6 wrote:
as for the worst for it really depends on your level of love for the game. I found on some games any number thats not in that "best for" mind as well be labeled "worst for". But games I love I'm willing to accept a game with a player count thats not optimal.
...I'm curious now about that, I'm gonna try looking for a game I'd want a worst player count.

Ticket to Ride Rails & Sails is an example. I love the game but without modifying the rules, the 2 player experience is pretty boring with players rarely interacting in a more than superficial way. With 5 players there are so few routes (~20 per player) things get blocked very quickly and some players end up having little to do except screw up the players who are still "in it". It can become a really unpleasant experience for everyone. The best is 4, 3 is fun, 2 is boring but playable, 5 is the worst.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JMJimmy wrote:
mafman6 wrote:
legacy

Legacy is the term - glad to know it exists. Casual users of the site will have no clue what that means but at least the data is there for those who do!

mafman6 wrote:

Ticket to Ride Rails & Sails is an example. I love the game but without modifying the rules, the 2 player experience is pretty boring with players rarely interacting in a more than superficial way. With 5 players there are so few routes (~20 per player) things get blocked very quickly and some players end up having little to do except screw up the players who are still "in it". It can become a really unpleasant experience for everyone. The best is 4, 3 is fun, 2 is boring but playable, 5 is the worst.

The problem here is that this is very subjective. If you look at Rails & sails, to use your example, 72% recommend it at 5p. You clearly wouldn't. Likewise, 52% recommend it at 2p. Again you wouldn't. Personally I like it at 2p, but much prefer others in the series for that player count. (UK, Nordic)

Your best bet to find out this sort of information is to interact with others. Since you are looking specifically at 2p games, have a look at the nice people in A Couple of Gamers. They have plenty of ideas on what works for 2p, and still works at higher player counts. As ell as lots of 2p only games.

As for legacy games, they are not for everybody. But they are only a tiny fraction of the games out there. They can be safely ignored if that is your wish. I know I ignore them. Like you, the disposable nature of them turns me off the idea. That said, I am well aware that most allow for 20 - 30 plays as you follow through the campaign. I think you will find most games of any type don't receive this amount of play. before they are put on the shelf permanently

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.