Kristian Lund
Denmark
flag msg tools
Reading to A Song of Ice and Fire, I got this idea for a board game mechanic, and I'd like to know if its been done before. Or if it is a horrible idea for some reason beyond personal dislikes.

Imagine a classic, simple "armies on a map, vying for supremacy" game. Each army or castle must be controlled by a character - imagine a control blip underneath in the player colour, and a corresponding playing-card-sized character "sheet". (Obviously, characters would have strength and weaknesses, special rules, etc.). The idea would be to have a political phase where one could try to assasinate, cripple and shift the alligiances of these characters. I am thinking you'd play cards unseen "under" the character, and could chose to reveal them when you wish - like just before a battle.

The political side of the game would be that the characters cards are set up in a pyramid/family tree, which also includes titles. So it tracks who is the lord or heir of which seat of power (kingdoms/lands). So there is an inherent balance of wanting your best and most loyal characters leading your armies, and wanting them safe. So yeah, a game of feudal power struggle where a marriage, an assasination and an army movement is equally important.

Anyway - anyone recognize something like this from an existing game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not precisely... but it's a neat concept and I'd be interested in playing that game. Battle for Rokugan seems to be taking the hidden information in locations to a more interesting level than Game of Thrones did, but not quite in the way you're describing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazy Mountain

Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sort of Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan (shifting and hidden allegiances) meets Maria (I think has political marriages)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Junta does something similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Helton
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, a game that has a technology and politics phase is Triumph & Tragedy.

During this phase of every turn, (year), one tries to influence the neutral nations to join your side. (Or you try to influence them to keep them from joining one of the other sides - there are three sides in this game, Allies, Axis and Soviet).

As you can see from the map below, there are influence tokens on the map, and when you get three on any neutral country, that country joins your side, at the end of the politics phase.

A very fun game, with the political side being one of the best aspects of this game.

Not quite what you were looking for, but similar, as it can really affect the game when you get a neutral to join your side, and their forces are now yours to command, and you can now march through their territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Machiavelli is similar to Diplomacy, but includes a monetary system that you can use for bribery, assassination attempts, and other things to gain advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I believe Swords & Sorcery had a multi-dimensional diplomacy chart.

Also, Freedom in the Galaxy.

In short, yes, this has been done bunch of times in interesting ways, but there is loads of room for innovation...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Robert
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This kinds reminds me of Dune and Rex: Final Days of an Empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Herr
United States
Palos Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silverrobert wrote:
This kinds reminds me of Dune and Rex: Final Days of an Empire.
I was thinking of Dune myself, at least with the traitor aspect of the leaders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like Coup, but with the addition of a map and units. I'd play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Lund
Denmark
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone. That was really helpful - and encouraging:-)

I'll look into Sekigahara, Rex and Triumph at the least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.