• [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:
Anyone know?
It's been out for less than a week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a review for this game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
"Play is an essential component of Wholehearted living." Brené Brown
badge
What do you mean we don't have time for another game?
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
isellsunshine wrote:
Anyone know?
It's been out for less than a week?

This. It doesn’t officially release in the U.S. until the 21st.

Edit: For what it’s worth, a few months ago I offered Z-Man a written review for a review copy. I never heard back. But I’ll probably still end up writing a detailed review like I did for Iberia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Teoro
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WilbertK wrote:

An excellent review - just watched it and Zee sold the game to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solid review. I anticipated Zee’s criticisms as I had listened to the Dice Tower Podcast they made from the DT Cruise as well. During that Podcast Zee noted that he rates Pandemic a 10, Iberia a 10, Cthulhu a 9, and Rising Tide a 7.

That said, I like the fact that it looks so different from the others in the series. I just received a shipping notice, so it looks like it should be delivered by Christmas. Woo-Hoo! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be reviewing this - once my copy arrives.

Hard to review a game you haven't played, and it doesn't look like many people have gotten hold of copies yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vand Lys
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Lucky Dutch got their release on the 14th I think. I've had mine for more than a week now, but unfortunately due to the busy holidays people don't have much time to play. Soon though... : )

I played it on Spiel and immediately fell in love with the game. But honestly, to write a review I think you should play at least ten games, so even if I wanted to right now, it would be an ungrounded review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vandlys wrote:
But honestly, to write a review I think you should play at least ten games...

Personally, my rule of thumb has always been to play a game at least three times. But with the varrying objectives in this one, it may very well require more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vand Lys
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
WooHoo1 wrote:
Solid review. I anticipated Zee’s criticisms as I had listened to the Dice Tower Podcast they made from the DT Cruise as well. During that Podcast Zee noted that he rates Pandemic a 10, Iberia a 10, Cthulhu a 9, and Rising Tide a 7.

That said, I like the fact that it looks so different from the others in the series. I just received a shipping notice, so it looks like it should be delivered by Christmas. Woo-Hoo! cool

I just watched his review and can't say I agree with all his criticisms. He makes very good arguments for his opinions, but mostly they are still highly subjective. His main problems seem to be with the colours and design of the game. Personally, I love the muted colours, as I feel bright colours would increase the chaos on the board more. Then his 'squiggly' and 'fiddly' arguments are some things I never even realised, so I wouldn't call them problems. They just don't exist in my experience of the game. The more abstract version of the regions sound horrible to me, and 'not knowing where everything is' is part of the charm of learning a game. I don't want a game where I can see everything coming right away, then it's not going to stick around for more than ten hours. This game lets you learn the board, makes you discover different tactics. Like the high-elevation region he discusses. You could argue that he just doesn't see it (which is not the same as it nog being clear), and then you could also argue that if it's unclear to him, he gets to discover new tactics in the game.

A 7 for this game? Sounds horrible low to me. It means he doesn't like 30% of the final product, which, in my opinion, is a lot. Like I said, I need to experience the game more, but so far my impression goes 90% or higher.

WooHoo1 wrote:
Vandlys wrote:

Personally, my rule of thumb has always been to play a game at least three times. But with the varrying objectives in this one, it may very well require more.

I think I would need at least ten to account for the various difficulties and challenges (if they are included in the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WooHoo1 wrote:
Vandlys wrote:

I think it depends a lot on the game - I don't need to play a game ten times to know that I hate it and never want to play it again. 3 or 4 is probably plenty at that point.

If it's a game I'm giving a positive write-up to, I'd want to play it more times, and you'll often uncover extra nuances, interesting things about re-play value in additional sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vandlys wrote:

I just watched his review and can't say I agree with all his criticisms. He makes very good arguments for his opinions, but mostly they are still highly subjective. His main problems seem to be with the colours and design of the game. Personally, I love the muted colours, as I feel bright colours would increase the chaos on the board more. Then his 'squiggly' and 'fiddly' arguments are some things I never even realised, so I wouldn't call them problems. They just don't exist in my experience of the game. The more abstract version of the regions sound horrible to me, and 'not knowing where everything is' is part of the charm of learning a game.

Agree with all these comments! I love the colors, and prefer realistic borders to more abstracted ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothée
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
For from God and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be glory forever (Romans 11:36)
badge
A Belgian geek currently in the USA ! Btw, the image is the "Manneken-Pis", a Belgian monument. Google it!
mbmbmbmbmb
The One Stop Co-op Shop just published a 3 players playthrough: https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLrSwu7NfI3qc1m39uG9Y7mBzB0...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y V
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vandlys wrote:

I think I would need at least ten to account for the various difficulties and challenges (if they are included in the game).

After playing Rising Tide 15 times I must say I loved it from the start and love it even more after adding the special objectives. The challenge and focuss change and there are even more strategic choices you have to make. Different dynamics make us discuss strategy a lot whereas in normal Pandemic choices are made quite fast. I appreciate this game more and more. We haven't won a game with 5 special obejectives yet but came very close, so my eagerness to play Rising Tide seems to grow instead of reduce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vand Lys
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
ChaosCreature wrote:
Vandlys wrote:

After playing Rising Tide 15 times I must say I loved it from the start and love it even more after adding the special objectives. The challenge and focuss change and there are even more strategic choices you have to make. Different dynamics make us discuss strategy a lot whereas in normal Pandemic choices are made quite fast. I appreciate this game more and more. We haven't won a game with 5 special obejectives yet but came very close, so my eagerness to play Rising Tide seems to grow instead of reduce.

I have played the game 7 times so far. All randomly selected roles.
1 time on easy with 4 roles - won
1 time on normal with 5 roles - won
3 times on normal with 3 roles - won
1 time on hard with 3 roles - lost (no more water cubes)
1 time challenge on normal with 4 roles - won (no casualties, 1 textile manufacturing = 4 pumps on yellow, 1 card to put population in Delfland and more, 1 card to put population in Noorderzijlvest & Fryslân, and another non standard but can't remember without looking it up.)

So I'm a bit disappointed that I haven't lost the game more so far. Since the game only has 8 storm cards included, I guess I will play the challenge more on hard, because the normal game on hard feels like the regular Pandemic game on hard or Iberia on normal difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vandlys wrote:
ChaosCreature wrote:
Vandlys wrote:

I have played the game 7 times so far. All randomly selected roles.
1 time on easy with 4 roles - won
1 time on normal with 5 roles - won
3 times on normal with 3 roles - won
1 time on hard with 3 roles - lost (no more water cubes)
1 time challenge on normal with 4 roles - won (no casualties, 1 textile manufacturing = 4 pumps on yellow, 1 card to put population in Delfland and more, 1 card to put population in Noorderzijlvest & Fryslân, and another non standard but can't remember without looking it up.)

So I'm a bit disappointed that I haven't lost the game more so far. Since the game only has 8 storm cards included, I guess I will play the challenge more on hard, because the normal game on hard feels like the regular Pandemic game on hard or Iberia on normal difficulty.

Well, I’m 0-3 on the easy/introductory level. I’ve learned some better strategies along the way, and am feeling good about getting my first win next time. But in my limited experience, I’m not finding it easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bas Grondhuis
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Played it once (with the wife, last weekend)...both *loving* it.

We played on easy and won, though we always thought it was tight and tense.

Playing this as Dutchies is extra special ! We know what it's all about and can recognize a lot of stuff....but we've already learned a lot about the mechanisms keeping our country safe from water too.

So far it feels extremely like real life, instead of being some abstract game: can't give enough kudoos for that

The only problem I have with the game is that Groningen isn't on the map cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.