Subject: Ratings for this game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bruce ross
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Bored at work and I decided to read some of the ratings posted by BGG members. I laughed at the "1's"

Seems like most if not all were posted because they hate the fact that many rated the game a 10 without actually owning it.

There was a "1" where the member posted a very lengthy rant about the game. Almost sounded like a disgruntled ex-employee

So, the rating system here is pretty much broken? surprise

However, despite all the bogus ratings here the video reviews seem unanimously positive. I don't think I've seen one that didn't rate this as one of their favorite games.

Anyways, just rambling....waiting for a retail copy someday

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's a great game (for my taste in games, at least).

I haven't played it enough to rate it yet, but so far it's looking like a 9.5 for me. But I'll wait until I'm sure before rating it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewis
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it odd that people have a problem with others rating a game they don't own. For one, many don't really track what they own. And for two and more importantly, you can play games you don't own. But this is something which is hardly contained to just this game. Many people dislike the ratings system, but it's no worse than most other sites. You should take any aggregate review score with several teaspoons of salt, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a tough issue with the rating system. Many people rate a game high just because they bought it and want to validate their purchase. Some even rate the game before they receive it. So then in response you have people giving it intentionally negative ratings in an attempt to balance it out through some kind of vigilante act. People on both sides of this are wrong, but in general I think most people use the ratings correctly, giving a generally accurate rating of the game, although games that are popular do have an advantage, but that's another issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Caldwell
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn’t uncommon. it was a big thing with Pandemic Legacy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
I think it would be interesting to see what a games average BGG rating would be if all 1's and 10's were excluded. Try to get rid of rid of some of the "hate" votes - I bought this game / backed it on Kickstarter/have not yet played it votes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of games like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:
I think it would be interesting to see what a games average BGG rating would be if all 1's and 10's were excluded. Try to get rid of rid of some of the "hate" votes - I bought this game / backed it on Kickstarter/have not yet played it votes.

This is why there's a difference between average rating (a true mathematical mean of the ratings people have given) and the Geek Rating (which includes that information, but uses a secret formula to remove shill ratings and compensate for outliers.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile Mulder
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
So far I give it a 10. My wife would probably give it like a 4...she likes Scrabble. It's not Scrabble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bobrossw wrote:
It's not Scrabble.

Wait! What?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
acctingman wrote:
There was a "1" where the member posted a very lengthy rant about the game. Almost sounded like a disgruntled ex-employee

Wow, you weren't wrong. That was a long rant read. Thanks for the smiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
verballyinsane wrote:
I find it odd that people have a problem with others rating a game they don't own.

Nobody objects to that. Some people object to users rating a game that they haven't played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Szczepanski
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The BGG rating system isn't nearly as broken as people think. Sure a lot of people rate games 1s and 10s even though they don't deserve the ratings. Some people do hate-ratings e.g. the KDM fanatics who rate Gloomhaven a 1 because they are pissed that there is a similar game with higher ratings; the reverse is true with some Gloomhaven fans.

In the end they tend towards the mean. Some of the more polarizing games probably have a bi modal distribution which is aggravating but the average is still mostly relevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of games like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
verballyinsane wrote:
I find it odd that people have a problem with others rating a game they don't own.

Nobody objects to that. Some people object to users rating a game that they haven't played.

That and some games (this included) which get a large number of excited squee! 10! ratings before the game is released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Desroches
Canada
flag msg tools
Don't forget that owning Gloomhaven means far less than it does for most games.

A. There is a 10 scenario campaign on Tabletop Simulator that was endorsed by the creator.

B. Even people who have played 50+ scenarios are not certain to own the game as in general one person in a playgroup will "own" the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben W
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Gloomhaven will probably be my first 10 rating. Gotta get a few more plays in before I commit but this game is quite fantastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moreover, I've seen some 10's to balance these 1's.
Can't really accept BGG's marking system, based on frequency of plays. I had wonderful experience with Mechs vs Minions during 12-15 missions and marked it 10. Should I change it to 3 because I would not play it anymore because I have Gloomahven now? Did the game spoiled somehow that moment I lost interest in it. No , it still a wonderful journey, which I would recommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is it only broken when people say they don't like a game and rate it low?

I find people rating things 10 without the game being released more annoying.

The rating system reflects a desire to paly or replay a game, not if it is any good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osku Odi
msg tools
mbmbmb
Originally I gave GH an 8, I've changed the rating a couple of times after 20 or so scenarios I rated it 9, and after 30-40 playes I've rated it now 9.5.

I am a bit annoyed with the way kickstarter affects the game ratings, since a lot of people rate games they've just backed very high. It would be nice if people just rated games they have actually played, but I suppose that's never going to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jassokissa wrote:
Originally I gave GH an 8, I've changed the rating a couple of times after 20 or so scenarios I rated it 9, and after 30-40 playes I've rated it now 9.5.

I am a bit annoyed with the way kickstarter affects the game ratings, since a lot of people rate games they've just backed very high. It would be nice if people just rated games they have actually played, but I suppose that's never going to happen.

I get the sentiment. At the same time, because of the purchase bias (I had better like this thing that I have already payed for), I think it's highly likely that most of the people who would rate something they just pledged high, would rate it about the same if they were somehow forced to wait until they do own it.

I would have given Star Wars episode 1 a 10 the first 3 times in the theater I saw it. Once the "it's a new star wars movie" wore off... my internal rating dropped. Significantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
acctingman wrote:

No, because broadly these issues effect all games the same amount, so it evens out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
acctingman wrote:

No, because broadly these issues effect all games the same amount, so it evens out.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Umm... the letters off my keyboard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing that bugs me about the BGG rating system is when publishers/developers (and Kickstarters are notorious for this...) ask BGG users to give it a 10 before the game actually gets released!!!

I guess that kinda goes back to the "don't rate it until you've actually played it" idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohde8781 wrote:
The only thing that bugs me about the BGG rating system is when publishers/developers (and Kickstarters are notorious for this...) ask BGG users to give it a 10 before the game actually gets released!!!

I guess that kinda goes back to the "don't rate it until you've actually played it" idea.

The shillbuster algorithm is designed to take account of that behaviour, so it's fairly pointless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it weird that some people refuse to rate any game a 10 because that would mean it’s ‘perfect’. That is not what the rating system here claims. A 10 is a game that you love to play. It has nothing to do with a flawless rule system.

I rate several games as a 10 because those are games that I need no convincing to play and I enjoy each game. GH is definitely one of them.

As per the OP, I find it strange that some people rate games a 1 just to ‘counter’ the 10s. So silly.

I recall a similar event with Batman vs. Superman movie, with a lot of people rated that a 10 (and then went in depth that it was heavily flawed) just to counter all the negative reviews. It was funny to read some people who expressed that they gave it a 10 for that very reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Von Strubel wrote:
bobrossw wrote:
It's not Scrabble.

Wait! What?

Tell me more about this 'Scrabble' is it more like Kingdom Death?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.