1 Posts

This War of Mine: The Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Individual Characters, sort of, variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon G
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my wife and I kickstarted the game and we had custom characters of us made. We house ruled a couple things, firstly that our characters are always in the starting group, secondly if either of us die then it's game over. Really adds to the challenge to have to keep ourselves alive. We have played with up to four players and do the following to add to this theme:

Each player is assigned a character, they place that character in front of them.
The "leader" who makes the decision for each phase rotates as normally and dictates who gets what and who is assigned, but when controlling another player's character they have to ask for permission/input especially if there is a risk to that character. If there is a disagreement between the leader and the player, a vote is taken and that decision stands, in the event of a tie, the leader ultimately makes the final decision. (though if you keep risking another player's character they no doubt return the favour)
Whenever a character would roll the black die or combat dice, the player that control's that character rolls the dice and decides to use their prowess or not.

You definitely get more involved when it's your own character (especially when it's you yourself in the game), and more thematic as you are fighting for your right to live, and sacrificing yourself for others if you don't eat that day or risk going outside/on the roof. And rolling your own dice for yourself just fits much better. This mode works really well because we are a cooperative group but the rules still allow a competitive one to function, though they would no doubt have a harder time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.