Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Jones
United States
Acampo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Alright. So.

I recently recruited an old friend into our group who I'm considering trying to include into our Charterstone game when we start playing soon, however, I'm still worried she might not enjoy this type of game, and don't want to get a couple sessions in and then need to drop a player which (I imagine) would offset the experience, or just not work.

So, for those of you who have played already, is in theoretically possible to replace a player with an automa mid campaign (mostly) seamlessly?

Also, for those of you who have played a 3-player campaign which is what we'd be doing if we don't include her as a fourth... Once you get into the later sessions, does it seem like you really would want an fourth player.. even as an automa? Trying to decide if we end up with 3 if we should run one to add another player or not.

Thanks for any opinions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Ward
United States
Newport News
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The easiest thing to do is, if she drops out, just consider her charter inactive like you will the other two.

If you want to replace her with an Automa, it's pretty easy... especially if you know she won't be back through the end of the campaign. I'm on game 10 of my 3-player campaign, and having a blast. We thought about adding an Automa, but didn't see the need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Acampo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kredal wrote:
The easiest thing to do is, if she drops out, just consider her charter inactive like you will the other two.

If you want to replace her with an Automa, it's pretty easy... especially if you know she won't be back through the end of the campaign. I'm on game 10 of my 3-player campaign, and having a blast. We thought about adding an Automa, but didn't see the need.

I realize this might be spoilers for people who care about such things, so I'll put my question to this under a cut here:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Would there be "extra" things on the board that she has placed down that wouldn't normally be there if we just consider her as an inactive after a couple sessions?

Thanks, Josh. I'm glad the end game isn't too big for 3 players if we go that route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mikej714 wrote:

I realize this might be spoilers for people who care about such things, so I'll put my question to this under a cut here:

Would there be "extra" things on the board that she has placed down that wouldn't normally be there if we just consider her as an inactive after a couple sessions?

Thanks, Josh. I'm glad the end game isn't too big for 3 players if we go that route.

No, because there is something that comes into play later for inactive charters that simulates growing their charters. I believe in Game 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ParisPink wrote:
mikej714 wrote:

No, because there is something that comes into play later for inactive charters that simulates growing their charters. I believe in Game 3.

There are actually significant differences between what buildings will get built by inactive charters and Automas:

Automas build on top of existing buildings while inactive charters do not. This can make quite a difference to the kind of buildings available on the board.

Automas build on Sky Islands, inactive charters do not. This is of course not done directly on the board, but it does make a significant difference to the available buildings post campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Acampo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
ParisPink wrote:
mikej714 wrote:

There are actually significant differences between what buildings will get built by inactive charters and Automas:

Automas build on top of existing buildings while inactive charters do not. This can make quite a difference to the kind of buildings available on the board.

Automas build on Sky Islands, inactive charters do not. This is of course not done directly on the board, but it does make a significant difference to the available buildings post campaign.

Interesting, alright... So, as expected, it's a bit awkward to replace a player with an automa, but not really impossible. We'll have to discuss and see if we're willing to live with the consequences if that should happen or not.

I appreciate all the feedback guys, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.