Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Gaia Project» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Quick Notes from a Total Newbie rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
By "total newbie", I mean I've never even played Terra Mystica. I read the Gaia Project rule book a few times and watched "Board Game Opinions'" awesome video tutorial a couple of times. My wife, Talia, and our friend, Christian, thought Troyes was complicated (exact words were "microwaved our brains") the first time, so I was a little worried about Gaia Project. But, my wife has since grown to really enjoy Troyes and to play it well,; and they are both good at other Euros, so I figured I'd give it a try....

Final scores were 112, 108, and 85. I have no idea what normal scores would be.

It started with me (the Taklons) trying to score the round bonuses as much as possible. Unfortunately, that was making me neglect my resource-generating engine (particularly, my ore-generating engine), and I ended up pretty strapped for resources at times. Fortunately, the Taklons are really good at getting and using power, so I often just "bought" what I needed. I was also first to build my Planetary Institute, so I had an advantage.

Christian (the Terrans) started using his Gaia advantage right out of the gate, and he ended up very close to my score. I only won because of some last-round stuff I'd built up for (mostly a truckload of power to get resources and move up to level 5 of the Navigation track, but also to make two federations).

Talia (the Geodens) had a quick start with expanding, but then stalled out with a lot of mines but few upgraded buildings and almost no power tokens. She said afterward that upgrading to her P.I. would have helped a lot with power.

All-in-all, I instantly ADORE this game, and can't wait to play some more. We all agree that more interesting races will make a really cool thing to explore. Christian wants to be the crazy robot people with the topsy-turvy buildings.

I think the order in which round bonuses come out makes a huge difference to the puzzle each game. It will be different each time, so that'll be great to explore as well.

I've never reported a session before, so I'm not sure if I'm supposed to rate it, but I can see this being a 10 for me. And I think my group would probably rate it an 8 or so. They seemed positive about the idea of playing again soon. One thing we'd really like is a storage solution, cuz setting up and putting it away took a touch too long.

Anyway, I love this game. Maybe I'll do another session post when we're more experienced.

I will say one more thing: everyone seemed to pick it up MUCH faster than I'd been led to believe we would. Even without Terra Mystica background, everything makes sense and ties together so well. We were playing and planning ahead for future moves pretty darn quickly. So, I would say don't be intimidated by this game, even if you've never played TM. Go for it. Check out that video from Board Game Opinions on YouTube, set it up, and have fun!
18 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad you enjoy this game. It's definitely one of those that rewards multiple plays as it has quite a depth of strategy. I wish you and your friends many entertaining sessions!
1 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
This is awesome to hear!

Regarding the scoring question, beginners in Terra Mystica usually score in the 90-110 range and Gaia Project scores a little more than TM so I'd say your starting scores for a first time Gaia player are probably about right especially since no one taught you Gaia or TM. I think that videos vs right in front of you is totally different.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 3 plays under my belt.

I didn't like Terra Mystica mostly because of the look & feel, the boring fantasy theme/take, the cult tracks (too uncorrelated with the rest of the game).

I found Gaia Project much more appealing to me because of the Sci-Fi background/take, the clean-shinny look & feel, the modular board but more than anything, the tech tracks. I really like the few other things like Transdim/Gaia Project and QIC.

One of my all time favorite.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Caster
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
This is awesome to hear!

Regarding the scoring question, beginners in Terra Mystica usually score in the 90-110 range and Gaia Project scores a little more than TM so I'd say your starting scores for a first time Gaia player are probably about right especially since no one taught you Gaia or TM. I think that videos vs right in front of you is totally different.


Another thing: If you state that your score was 110 and it was your first game ever (TM or GP), I bet your actual score was 120-125. It's really easy to miss scoring, even for experienced players.

(I recall a funny thread from the TM forum a long time ago where someone actually duplicated an IRL game on snellman in real time, just to look at the deviances in scoring. IIRC, they were way off.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kruppy wrote:
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
This is awesome to hear!

Regarding the scoring question, beginners in Terra Mystica usually score in the 90-110 range and Gaia Project scores a little more than TM so I'd say your starting scores for a first time Gaia player are probably about right especially since no one taught you Gaia or TM. I think that videos vs right in front of you is totally different.


Another thing: If you state that your score was 110 and it was your first game ever (TM or GP), I bet your actual score was 120-125. It's really easy to miss scoring, even for experienced players.

(I recall a funny thread from the TM forum a long time ago where someone actually duplicated an IRL game on snellman in real time, just to look at the deviances in scoring. IIRC, they were way off.)


Nice. Yeah, that's probably true. We also had a hard time remembering to move up the track for the final scoring tiles, so it's technically possible we got that wrong. It was a blast, though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, moving up the markers for final scoring is something we forgot frequently too. Luckily that's not awarded until after the game is over. I check it occasionally, especially in R5 and R6 when trying to decide what to do.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hunter
Canada
Red Deer
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mentat1231 wrote:
One thing we'd really like is a storage solution, cuz setting up and putting it away took a touch too long.

Anyway, I love this game. Maybe I'll do another session post when we're more experienced.
!


I just bought a super slim but larger piano box at Michaels and can fit a ton of the components in it. Just play out of the box. The only things not in the box are the round and end game tiles, the round boosters, cards and boards etc. Oh, and all of the faction buildings (there’s so many). Box is snug but closes fully. I find that it works very well.

Thanks for the session report and, yes, please do another one...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.